How much over retail are you willing to pay for the REALLY HTF Items?

missytakespics

I'm curious, if you want something SO bad...how much over retail would you pay?
Ive seen Pleasureflush go for over $150 on ebay...
Not to mention the Kitschmas craze a few years back, and now some other pigment madness.
Who's that Lady lipgelee goes for like 40-60 on ebay now...
Would you pay these prices if you wanted it badly?

Im just curious because something popped up on ebay that i've been searching for for QUITE awhile...a rare and htf item that was never even released to the public for sale...and im just wondering if spending like 30-50 bucks over retail is crazy.
I spent 35 bucks for HALF a jar of mustard pigment a few months ago...I HAD to have it so bad, but its so hard to find I dont even use it. I dont want to make that mistake again, but i REALLY want this item.
would you do it? if something you never see suddenly surfaced for sale?

Ambi

0 dollars really, I usually try to just find something similar rather than cry over a LE product, sure I understand if something is the best thing you ever used so you want THAT and NOTHING but that, but... It's just make-up, if I can't have it for a reasonable price, I'll find something similar and curse the greedy sellers for the rest of my life ;D

docmaria

I have no idea why people are paying so much for Who's That Lady lipgelee - chunky glitter glosses are a dime a dozen. Yes, I do own it.

The tragic thing is that paying over US retail is often still less than paying Australian retail.

For example, paying $US50 for a quad is nothing to me.

I'm sure that my purchases are, in part, responsible for the exorbitant final auction prices achieved.

If I had the opportunity to buy MAC Haze eyeshadow for $US40, then I would be tempted. Just so that I could compare it to the Coral Colours (Australian brand) eyeshadow that I own which looks similar to swatches of Haze. Sadly, this shade is also discontinued but I'm ridiculously curious.

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

If I REALLY REALLY love something I know I'm never ever going to find again, I'll usually pay whatever it takes to get it... I generally haven't had to pay high prices for something... I really want lucky green though and thats rather pricy but I really don't have the money for those sorts of prices at the moment... Kinda blows, but when I get money I can pretty much guarantee I'll pay a LOT for it...

user2

Quote:
Originally Posted by missytakespics
Who's that Lady lipgelee goes for like 40-60 on ebay now...

Really?

I bought it with "Buy It Now!" for $23.99 and I was more than happy to get it outside of the $30 range!

Right now there's nothing that I could think of that I would pay more for! OK I bought a Coco jar for $30 but that was with shipping and it's awesome!

De Menthe is the only thing I would pay a lot for!

HeartOfSilver

I paid quite a bit over retail for my first Stereo Rose, and also for my temperly palette. I wouldn't consider paying over $70 for any given item (other than a train case or something), but if someone else was smart enough to pick it up, I know I'll have to pay for the convieniance.

missytakespics

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuittonVictim
Really?

I bought it with "Buy It Now!" for $23.99 and I was more than happy to get it outside of the $30 range!

Right now there's nothing that I could think of that I would pay more for! OK I bought a Coco jar for $30 but that was with shipping and it's awesome!

De Menthe is the only thing I would pay a lot for!

yeah lately the BIN's I see are like 39.99 plus the shipping...its so retarded.
luckily the item i want isnt a BIN but i know it will skyrocket during its last days. i think i will limit myself to spending 60 bucks on it.
thats about 45 over retail. god im sick.

cloverette

i'd say go for it, as long as it's not an extremely crazy price (like $100). you'll regret it if you don't get it, and you could always resell it for a high amount if you don't want it, anymore.

will you tell us what it was after the auction is over?

jenjunsan

I paid $38 for a So Ceylon MSF (not including shipping). I've also paid quite a bit (don't remember exact amount...just that it was alot) for All Girl pigment. I paid $35 for a half jar of Coco Beach pigment, but that is only because the person I bought it from said it was 90% full, then tried to tell me that Coco Beach is one of the pigments that don't fill a jar completely.....but that is a whole nother story! Most recently, it was not MAC, but I paid right at $80 for a one ounce bottle of a LUSH forum fragrance that I was just going to absolutely die if I didn't get! I don't think I would ever pay more that $25-$30 for an eyeshadow and that is only if I really, really wanted it-only because I find it is not too hard to find duplicates or something very close for most colors.

inlucesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi
0 dollars really, I usually try to just find something similar rather than cry over a LE product, sure I understand if something is the best thing you ever used so you want THAT and NOTHING but that, but... It's just make-up, if I can't have it for a reasonable price, I'll find something similar and curse the greedy sellers for the rest of my life ;D

Seconded, and I figure that anything with that kind of demand MAC will take notice of and eventually re-release something similar anyway. I love MAC, but I think the LE stuff is ridiculous...like missy said, you get it, it's your only jar of whatever, and you don't even want to use it because you'll never be able to find it again. Bleh!

disenchanted

not much, if any. I figure if I didn't like it enough to buy it when it was available....and I've never not had something I wanted badly not available ( that might be a different story, hehe) then I really don't need it bad enough to pay much over retail...if any at all.

glamella

Luckily, I have access to all MAC products. So, I'm not very likely to pay over retail for anything, especially if it's not new. I'm always trying new things so limited edition doesn't really get me going. I'd rather get the newest, latest stuff instead.

KJam

I paid $45 a few months ago for Pleasureflush. I felt so bad paying that much for it. Now, seeing it go for well over $100, not so much...!

If you really want it, vow to use it (and take lots of FOTDs!), you should indulge yourself.

mandirigma

I'd taken a year-long break from MAC, and when I got back into it I realized all the great things I'd missed. I've caught up on most of the stuff I wanted for retail or less (thanks to girls on here and the LJ community), but I have made a couple of hasty above-retail moves (for stuff I was either able to find at CCO's later or on other people's sales). On the other hand, I'm kind of kicking myself for not scooping up MSF's from other people's sales when I had the chance, cause they only seem to go up in price.

But basically, I wouldn't go above $50 for an MSF, or $20 for an eyeshadow. And there's only a few missed LE things on my wishlist that I can think of anyway. =/

BlahWah

If I had no budget to worry about, about $30 before shipping for an eyeshadow, $50 for an MSF, $25 for an l/s or l/g, only b/c I don't use them (well) enough to justify paying that much. If only I found MAC 2 years ago, this wouldn't be a problem. *sigh*

With my budget, it's anything I can get for $20 WITH shipping. My best story w/ that is getting Sunplosion for $20 from a wonderful Specktra member - my husband thought I was more insane than usual when I opened my package!

Turbokittykat

At times when I have the money I'll pay a lot over retail for something I really want. The most I've paid is, I think, $130 for a full jar of a very hard to find pigment. I love it and it was worth it to me. I've also had to pay excessive amounts for other various US exclusives that I wanted really badly, before I found lovely ladies to CP for me and I was willing to pay around $100 for Haze or Glitz. However, as has already been said, way over US retail is still very often not more than the retail price here in the UK. For example a pre-made quad here is £29 (about $51).

Sadly I'm not in a position to be able to feed my addiction to this extent at the moment and in the last year or so I've missed out on several things I've been looking for for ages. I'm just hoping I have another chance to get them in the future.

Wontpayretail23

I got my So Ceylon from a person who CPed it for me from a CCO. They are all over the CCO right now for $16 each. Thats why your seeing so many up for swap on MUA right now.

lola336

yea it depends how much u want it...and how hard it is to find...i think paying waaay over retail is no good..cause eventually ull find it cheaper....when the madness ends...and then u paid so much u wont want to use it...but u know in the end its ur money and if u want it - and u gotta have it..then go for it!