How old were you when you started to wear makeup?

pumpkincat210

I was about 12 or 13 I think. I had a face powder which i'm sure was too light for my face now that i think about it. I also had lip smackers as my lip products.
When I was a 16 y.o. teenager I had blue/green glitter lipstick. It was really cool and mermaid-y, but I wore it with everything religiously. Now i'm cringing.
Also when i was 5 or so in 1986 I used to love my mom's mac eyeshadows because they looked so cute in their little pots, but my mom would not let me play with them.

ETA: What age is appropriate to wear makeup and what should they be wearing, focusing on?

x.DOLLYMiX.x

I think I started when I was maybe 13 or 14.
nonono.gif
. My little sister started when she was 11 which in my opinion is bad she has the wrong colour of foundation on and I will tell her its horrible but she thinks she looks great
thmbdn.gif
. All the 13 year olds in my town all look the same orange face, white lips, silver/black eyes lol its quite funny actually.

iiifugaziii

i used to always go with my mom to the makeup counters when i was little! and of course, i loved the eye shadows, but my mom and the ladies at the counters were like, "you need some color on your lips. you look dead." and i hated it! (this is probably why i LOVE nude lips still, to this day).
i think i started getting it when i was around 10-12.
my first eye shadow compact was from merle norman?? i think? hah
and then i started with clinique and then i went to mac at age 15! yay.

Trista

I was about 15 when I started wearing makeup regularly. I was a gothic girl so I wore tons of black eyeliner and black eyeshadow...wait a minute I still do.
winks.gif
But I think I wear less now. I use to also wear dark lipstick with my smokey eyes! My poor mother couldn't stand it!

persephonewillo

i was 13/14 when i started wearing makeup.

i had to figure it all out on my own and from friends... my mum stopped wearing makeup when my brother and i were toddlers.

my daughter is 11 and i allow her to wear lipgloss. there have been a few rare days when she wants more (i did a light smokey "punk" look a few times for her - no foundation, etc. just eye makeup and a touch of lipgloss). but so far the issue of her wearing makeup in earnest hasn't come up yet
smiles.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mena22787
20. and i just turned 21.
smiles.gif

wow, what made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking?

xbrookecorex

I remember in 5th grade I had some god awful little thing from a dollar store that had like a blush, a blue eyeshadow, and a lipstick in it, and I would smear that shit on my 11 year old face.

6th grade brought the white eyeliner trend
And then by 7th grade/age 13 I was into my routine of black eyeliner all the way around and some silver on the lid, which last until like 10th grade.
Didn't start using Mac until... 18.

pepe

I was 17 when I was first allowed to wear make up, back then I hated not being able to. Now I am thankful for it, for I started to wear make up at the right time when I was old enough to judge what is suitable for me, the ocassion and altogether what makes me look better. Sometimes its hard to tell how old some girls are, some of them just try to grow up so quickly not realising that childhood is the most sacred phase of life.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe
I was 17 when I was first allowed to wear make up, back then I hated not being able to. Now I am thankful for it, for I started to wear make up at the right time when I was old enough to judge what is suitable for me, the ocassion and altogether what makes me look better. Sometimes its hard to tell how old some girls are, some of them just try to grow up so quickly not realising that childhood is the most sacred phase of life.

nothing wrong with not wearing makeup, but in my opinion the teenage years were the best years to go through experimenting with makeup. It was awkward enough and any person is going to commit a crime of beauty sometime in their life. For me makeup was never about growing up but rather making myself look better using an art form. I was still very much a kid when I was a teenager, just a kid with glittery lipstick.

eye_pr0mise

i started wearing makeup when i wassss 16 going on 17. and i only started off with just eyeliner. then my parents up-ed my allowance and MAC came into play lOl.

mena22787

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
wow, what made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking?

it all starts out w/ the fact that my rents are wicked strict, and i wasn't allowed to wear mu in highschool, and then freshman and sophomore years of college i was sort of afraid to wear mu b/c i'd never worn it before. and then at the end of my sophomore i decided i wanted to be more girly and hip (i've always been a tomboy and i always knew that i'd eventually change my 'image' to be more feminine). then i stumbled across specktra and it's all been uphill from there
smiles.gif
i started out w/ just mascara, then built up e/l and now i wear concealor, tinted moisturizer and blush, keeping it nice and natural. i suppose i'll eventually add some e/s into the mix
yes.gif

i also started wearing nicer and dressier clothes and actually styling my hair. it's so much fun to get up and get all pretty! and to think that i used to roll out of bed 15 mins before class! lol (my friends often comment on how much i've changed, but in all honesty i always figured it'd happen about junior year of college) sorry, that was kinda long, lol

brownsuga lady

I started wearing lipstick when I was around 14 or 15 (I had a staple reddish earth tone color; before that I was only allowed to wear lipsmackers and gloss). I never really wanted to wear anything else until much later. I was in college when I started wearing powder and foundation, eyeliner and mascara (but not regularly). I started wearing eyeshadow when I was around 22 or 23.

mreichert

I started when I was 12- with Mary Kay. My mom used the products and the consultant gave my mom tips about my taming my wild brows *ugh* and my mom bought me a few items- all natural looking.

I've worn makeup since, but just "really" got into it in November when my friend to me to the MAC store in Chicago
smiles.gif

fuzz

i started at age 13 eye shadows only and very vibrant colours.At age 16 i started to wear only powder with a natural lipgloss and at 19 when i got married i started to do the full make up.I wear make up fully i mean every other day.Give my face a one day break but i think make up from age 17 is ok and foundation after 20.I got into mac after i got married and before that was into covergirl.

lizardprincesa

Junior high. Middle school. 7th grade, age 12/13, the trend was bright blue eye-shadow! yuch! Don't remember where I got it, but I do recall being sneaky. I remember my sister (1 year younger) was angry at me for a nasty big-sister deed or word, and she called me "make-up face." I'll never forget it!

Age 15, on went the black eye liner! I do not recall most other students wearing it. It was Maybelline pencil. I wore a thick-ish line beneath my eyes only. I will never forget my mother's shocked & angry reaction when I went into the kitchen to eat breakfast before school that morning. She didn't tell me to wash it off, tho...
but her that-morning face will never erase...
Now I'm a mom, I know...she was probably scared.

I was 17 & I invited a young 20's guy to take me to my prom, but he declined.
He then asked me to go to a party, however,
in his Alpha Romeo. A Convertible.

Before he came to pick me up, I drew a thick black line all around my eyes. I will never forget how he said, "Oooh...your eyes look sooo big!" He had something big, as well. i wish he would've kept it a secret. I'll never forget that party in somebody's loft, over a barn, I think....and
an exquisitely exciting, frightening
drive home with the top down (the car roof) ...

come to think of it, was I a wild sorta girl? eek!

"....at any time an invitation you can't decline..."
Freddie Mercury, "Killer Queen" !

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I was about 12 or 13 I think. I had a face powder which i'm sure was too light for my face now that i think about it. I also had lip smackers as my lip products.
When I was a 16 y.o. teenager I had blue/green glitter lipstick. It was really cool and mermaid-y, but I wore it with everything religiously. Now i'm cringing.
Also when i was 5 or so in 1986 I used to love my mom's mac eyeshadows because they looked so cute in their little pots, but my mom would not let me play with them.

ETA: What age is appropriate to wear makeup and what should they be wearing, focusing on?

Thanks for a great post! You jogged my memory & gave me smiles. I don't think I answered about the *appropriate,* though. sorry 'bout that
winkiss.gif

nessa25

i was sneaky at first. in 6th grade i started to put on makeup at school. i think in 7th grade i started wearing makeup without hiding it from my parents, lol. but i mostly wore covergirl till like last year. then i discovered the mac & sephora stores, i'll never go back to covergirl, hehe.