How safe is the plastic in your sex toys?

kaliraksha

Ever thought about the toxins in your sex toys? | By Emily Gertz | Grist | Main Dish | 06 Dec 2005

I just read this article and totally felt the need to share. It kills me but I am retiring my current toys just to be safe and looking for alternatives. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

The article talks about how components of sex toys are usually not regulated in most countries. Article also speaks about the alarming phthalates found in plastic- which is one of the toxins that set off the kid's toys ban/recall.

What do you ladies and gents think? Do you guys think it's one of those paranoid things or do we need some regulations to protect our health?

V15U4L_3RR0R

That's why I don't own any PVC toys. All mine are silicone (And soon to be pyrex/steel) because they last a hell of a lot longer with the right care and they aren't porous and they won't break down.

duckduck

Yet another reason Pyrex toys rule
thmbup.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck
Yet another reason Pyrex toys rule
thmbup.gif

agreed! I can't wait until I can start building a collection of them of my own. They're so gorgeous.

CantAffordMAC

um yeah until they start making pyrex that vibrates...

It has to vibrate. and really fast. does that website list KNOWN toys that are bad? Because until then... a girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do lol.

Is it me or are they taking away all forms of happiness. Don't eat chocolate it causes pimples, oh no chocolate is good for your heart. Drink 8 glasses of water a day, oh no dont drink too much water. And don't drink water out of plastic bottles because you'll get cancer. And don't use deodorant because theres mercury in it. Don't eat more than one can of tuna fish a week.

WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TAKE AWAY, damn it! LoL I'm telling you...its always somethin'
th_rolleye0014.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
um yeah until they start making pyrex that vibrates...

It has to vibrate. and really fast. does that website list KNOWN toys that are bad? Because until then... a girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do lol.

Is it me or are they taking away all forms of happiness. Don't eat chocolate it causes pimples, oh no chocolate is good for your heart. Drink 8 glasses of water a day, oh no dont drink too much water. And don't drink water out of plastic bottles because you'll get cancer. And don't use deodorant because theres mercury in it. Don't eat more than one can of tuna fish a week.

WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TAKE AWAY, damn it! LoL I'm telling you...its always somethin'
th_rolleye0014.gif

LOL, you forgot the lead in lipstick! Although I still think that is a total scam.

There are vibrators that are considered "safe" from this article's standpoint. These guys (according to the article) do not sell any PVC-based toys, but plenty that vibrate! Smitten Kitten

Generally speaking, you would just want to avoid PVC-based products - you know, the really squishy jelly-like ones. Like V15U4L_3RR0R said, sticking to silicone toys should keep you in the clear... at least until they take that away too
tong.gif

LOCa

Well I Don't Even Know What To Say........

Is There Really Mercury In Deodorant?

V15U4L_3RR0R

Silicone is great also because if you decide to share toys with someone, it reduces the risk of passing on an STI because it's non porous. However I would still advise using a condom with toys if you're going to share. They're also a lot easier to clean and you can put any non vibrating silicone toy in a pan of boiling water to sanitize it or you can even stick it in the dishwasher to clean it too. Silicone is the way my friends lol

Sanayhs

When I first looked into sex toys, I read about the different materials. I was reading about the 'jelly' and 'cyberskin' types, saw the word "porous" and immediately thought "no thanks!". I'm a silicone type of girl - the price for silicone over PVC is, to me, worth it for the superior product.
smiles.gif

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCa

Nope, it's aluminum. Or aluminium for you european girls.
winks.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
Nope, it's aluminum. Or aluminium for you european girls.
winks.gif

One of the many reasons why I don't use deodorant.

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15U4L_3RR0R
One of the many reasons why I don't use deodorant.

Cause the europeans write it wrong?! Lol, how do you get away with it? I would be such a stiky sweaty mess
ssad.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck
Cause the europeans write it wrong?! Lol, how do you get away with it? I would be such a stiky sweaty mess
ssad.gif

I dunno lol. I just make it a point to shave my under arms every day and let my body do the rest. Also I'm just too lazy to remember to use it everyday so I'd rather just go without.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCa

I was told by coworkers that yes there is. Of course theres the aluminum in it. but I was told that companies don't have to list the ingredient that they use the least of...so mercury being in our deodorant could be, and we wouldnt know it because they don't have to list it. This might just be a "could be" or it may be true, who knows.

I'm with Visual Error....I hardly ever use deodorant. I don't sweat or smell much...at all. The only exception is if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll be sweating. And in the summertime. I just don't need deodorant, really.

I'm still getting those crystal rocks or whatever. But back to the topic: is my rabbit habit vibrator safe or what, girlies??
th_dunno.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Is my rabbit habit vibrator safe or what, girlies??
th_dunno.gif

Alright, I spent some time looking around trying to verify exactly what this toy is made of. The most reputable sources seem to think it is made of latex (like you said), and if that is the case, then you are just fine
smiles.gif
. Other sites claimed things like "Vinyl Rubber", but since that seems to be a misnomer (it isn't really a compound), I would say those sites just don't have their facts straight.

Latex is what most condoms, medical examination gloves, etc. are made of and is safe from a phthalates standpoint. Some people have allergies to it (me!), but obviously you don't, so nothing to worry about there
smiles.gif

So, as long as you are not allergic to it, latex is still considered perfectly safe for both external and internal use - meaning that your rabbit habit is safe - you may enjoy it with confidence!
thmbup.gif

Latest posts