How to appear porcelain...

Rudyru

When you are of a deeper colour?

Getting ready to do a model for a photoshoot in a few days, and she's around the NC35-NC37 range. I mean I can go for a lighter foundation, but it won't really achieve the look of porcelain. I want her to look opaque with little bits of veining appearing on her face. Veins I can do...looking like solid glass is hard. My main problem is making her look ashy and cakey, so if anyone can help me, it'll be awesome!
yes.gif

Rudyru

I was thinking that, but I began looking at pictures of porcelain dolls of all colour ranges and they seemed extremely opaque. They had little to no sheen to them...and that's when my dilemma started! XD

I appreciate the help, however. I'll keep these in mind if I do change my tactics. <3

cetati

Perhaps a matte pigment? I've seen tutorials on youtube where they make someone much paler in a matte way using like white pigment as a powder.

Sanayhs

You could certainly try mixing matte white pigment in with her foundation and set it over. You want to apply it very heavily so it completely masks her own skin. Porcelain dolls have matte, consistent faces with rosy cheeks, usually (and the blush looks like it's sitting on top of the cheeks rather than coming from within). Actually, if you could find white face makeup (like for Hallowe'en, clowns, etc), put that heavily over her face and then top that by pale foundation, it might do the trick to wash her out.

Another thought is that while many porcelain dolls are very pale, not all of them are. There are ones with darker skin tones! Much rarer, but they exist. You could work more with her natural tone and just build up a matte foundation heavily on her. Anyone can be made to look doll like.
smiles.gif

Rudyru

@Cetati: Think you could link a few of those tutorials?

@Sanayhs: I guess I should have clarified, I wasn't really looking to pale her out to a porcelain colour, but more so that she was made of porcelain, and while there are a wide range of porcelain "races" (so to speak. XD) it's just a bit hard to make someone with a deeper skintone look more fair.

And I also think that's a grand idea! I'll use the white chromacake to completely mask her face and then add the detailing and colour with foundation!

It's perfect, because I noticed that porcelain dolls had very little remnants of a natural flush and that everythig seemed extremely simulated. Like everything on them was painted on, so I'll defiitely take this into account. <3