How to apply pigments as eyeshadows?

caramel_geek

I just started to fall in love with pigments. (Yup, where have I been?
tong.gif
)
I've been through so many youtube videos and threads here, and I still have no clue what is the proper way of doing it.

Currently, my fav is cocomotion. I've tried it foiled (with water based mixing medium) on the lid on top of my Soft Ochre p/p. Then apply eyeshadow above it. And it looked great. loved it.
But, can I use pigments foiled by themselves (not as bases)? I've tried using Cocomotion (dry) like a normal eyeshadow on top of Soft Ochre p/p and it turned out blah. and I was so dissapointed
ssad.gif
then I tried foiling it on the back of my hand...it become sooooo pretty.

all in all...i'm very lost right now.
th_dunno.gif
in fact, i'm getting a bit discouraged from using pigments. (although i really really love the colors and how pretty they are when i swatch them at the back of my hands)

please help...

gigiopolis

You can totally foil pigments by themselves! Remember that there are no rules in makeup!
smiles.gif

How are you applying pigments by themselves? Do you sweep or pat? If you sweep, trying patting on the pigment, packing it on your lid on top of a sticky base like UDPP (I don't have Soft Ochre p/p so I don't know how 'sticky' it is). You'll get the most colour intensity out of it that way.

caramel_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiopolis
You can totally foil pigments by themselves! Remember that there are no rules in makeup!
smiles.gif

How are you applying pigments by themselves? Do you sweep or pat? If you sweep, trying patting on the pigment, packing it on your lid on top of a sticky base like UDPP (I don't have Soft Ochre p/p so I don't know how 'sticky' it is). You'll get the most colour intensity out of it that way.

I pat it on with a 239 first...then I try blending it with a 217. Am I doing it wrong?

I kindda thought maybe Soft Ochre p/p might not be the best base for it. Would paint be better? UD stuff aren't readily available here (I'm outside the US right now)
ssad.gif

Kiss and Makeup

It might be the consistency of the pigment. I've had problems with some of them going on, despite my best attempts at packing and lightly blending. I think it's Nocturnal Plum or something like that..it's a pretty purple color. Even if I pat, it goes on uneven and chalky. The ONLY way I can get it to go on pretty is to foil it. Sometimes I have to use a small shader brush (something off-brand, THICK, and smaller than the 239, to get it to stick.

It sounds to me like you're trying. Don't get discouraged! I know it's easy to do but you're already doing everything I would recommend.

RoseyPosey

THIS is why i LOVE shadesticks. I use Beig-ing under all my eye MU. But, for pigments it works WONDERS.

I apply it to one eye only at a time though so it stays tacky. I put it on my lid (a decent amount) blend lightly with my finger, then pat on my pigment with my 239. Then i do the other eye, the shadesticks really work wonders, and once they set, they are SET so my makeup doesnt budge either!

Im SO glad the MUA who helped me last time practically FORCED me to buy the s/s because they are so awesome!

Zoffe

I like to use a sticky base like the cream color bases for pigments if I'm using them on my eyes. That way they adhere better and look more vibrant. Be careful with the CCBs though... Too much and it'll crease BADLY!
When I use them wet I always use something dry on top (even if it's just the same pigment dry) to set it. That'll make it last longer
smiles.gif

Remember to try using pigments in lipgloss, nail polish and on cheeks too
greengrin.gif

I love pigments, they're so fun to use :]

HTH

caramel_geek

Thanks gals.
smiles.gif
I'll definitely try using a shadestick next time. (that's if I'm able to find where my Beige-ing is
tong.gif
)

If I'm using them foiled, should I be using a paint/paint pot/shadestick before I foil them on my lid?

And I tried foiling Vintage Gold in the inner half of the lid and Antiqued Green on the outer half. And when it comes to blending I got a bit lost. Like how am I suppose to blend 2 foiled pigments? (sorry if this sounds a bit silly)
tong.gif

Zoffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel_geek
If I'm using them foiled, should I be using a paint/paint pot/shadestick before I foil them on my lid?

Personally, I always use a base under the pigments(or they'll crease on me) but I know a lot of people don't need another base when they use pigments. Try for yourself :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel_geek
And I tried foiling Vintage Gold in the inner half of the lid and Antiqued Green on the outer half. And when it comes to blending I got a bit lost. Like how am I suppose to blend 2 foiled pigments? (sorry if this sounds a bit silly)
tong.gif

Blending is another reason why I like to use a dry shadow or pigment on top of the wet pigments. It's so much easier that way
smiles.gif

I used a pigment wet with e/s on top here, if you're interested
smiles.gif

YouTube - Purple + Yellow

Latest posts