how to dress babies when going in and outdoors..

kaexbabey

so i have a little one .. almost 4 months old. there's snow here now (like it's actually staying now, and not melting away) and i'm confused about how to dress her when we go out. i know the rule is one more layer than what i'd be comfortable in, and that layers are good .. but what about when we're gonna be going outside then back inside, like grocery shopping? i'm sure she'd get really hot if i dressed her in one of those thick bunting things. i'd save that for when (IF i ever let her at this age) we play outside in the snow. and honestly, it'd just be a hassle having to take her seatbelt off and take one layer off when i'm trying to just hurry up and get my groceries while distracting my toddler so she doesn't whine. any input would be appreciated!

gitts

It is probably best to pull on a warm, woolen jacket which can be easily taken off once in the supermarket.

ratmist

I struggle with this too. Mine is only 9 weeks old. I have a waterproof/windproof fleece-lined snowsuit from Bush Baby that I use. It has two zips on the front for easy access; I just unzip those when I go indoors to expose his neck, torso and upper legs so he doesn't overheat. If I have time I bother to take his arms out, but usually he's asleep from being in his pushchair so I don't disturb him. I zip him back up when we go back outside. It seems to work and it means I don't have to mess around with the buckles on the pushchair.

jdechant

Do you carry the baby around in the carrier (car seat)?? If so, you can get one of those fleece toppers that you put over the baby carrier so that baby will stay warm while you are going inside. Then when you get into the grocery store, just take the fleece thing off. If its really cold, you can cover baby with a blanket first and then the fleece topper over top of that. Hope That Helps!!

joey444

These are things that I take for granted. I live in Miami so my 5 month old is literally still in dresses and bodysuits. My sister is law is in Virginia and due in a couple of weeks and the ONLY thing she asked me for was for that cover to go over the carseat which is supposed to keep the babies warm in the cold weather. I would've never thought of that.....I was just going to keep buying cute clothes.....

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechant
Do you carry the baby around in the carrier (car seat)?? If so, you can get one of those fleece toppers that you put over the baby carrier so that baby will stay warm while you are going inside. Then when you get into the grocery store, just take the fleece thing off. If its really cold, you can cover baby with a blanket first and then the fleece topper over top of that. Hope That Helps!!

Fleece topper? I think around here we call them "cosy toes" or "footmuff". It's so freaking cold out here so these sorts of things are a must but a pain in the butt when you're trying to be efficient when going out.

kaexbabey

Quote:

i was thinking of getting one of those, hopefully for a cheaper price on black friday. lol. but even if its not on black friday, i really need one. so would the baby wear just what she would wear at home since the fleece topper thing is really warm? or should she still wear an extra layer?

jdechant

^^ I would say judging on the weather, if you are just going to take the baby from the warm car to the grocery store and spend very little time outside, I would say that is definitely enough...and if its colder, just use a blanket on baby as well...those things work wonders!! Trust me, I am a mommy of one little girl..and I live in northern alberta where it is typical for us to get -40 Celcius EVERY year..(wont take her out in that weather though, obviously) but yah, I wouldn't worry about bundling her in heavy clothing at that age...blankets are your friends..lol...all's I would worry about is as long as they are in full length clothing (arms and legs covered) your good to go!
smiles.gif

jdechant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
Fleece topper? I think around here we call them "cosy toes" or "footmuff". It's so freaking cold out here so these sorts of things are a must but a pain in the butt when you're trying to be efficient when going out.

Lol...yah I can't remember what they call them here in Canada..something weird..lol

gigglegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
jdechant has the best idea. Dress the baby for being inside and then get one of these.

Kiddopotamus & Co. CozyUp Cozy Carrier Cover - Green/ Ivory : Target

Hmm I can't speak for Jdechant but the ones I've seen mothers use here (Winnipeg, so cold like Alberta!) is solid fleece. like no head hole. b/c that would defeat the purpose. (Unless there is another pic they didn't include with the one shown for target)

I cannot think of the name either. ><

Kayteuk

Whatever you do, put a hat on your baby in cold weather. My mums a Midwife and shes often stopped women and told them what for because of not having them in Hats in winter.

Babies can loose a lot of heat VERY fast from their head. So a hat is a must! All times
smiles.gif

glassy girl

Quote:
^^ I would say judging on the weather, if you are just going to take the baby from the warm car to the grocery store and spend very little time outside, I would say that is definitely enough...and if its colder, just use a blanket on baby as well...those things work wonders!! Trust me, I am a mommy of one little girl..and I live in northern alberta where it is typical for us to get -40 Celcius EVERY year..(wont take her out in that weather though, obviously) but yah, I wouldn't worry about bundling her in heavy clothing at that age...blankets are your friends..lol...all's I would worry about is as long as they are in full length clothing (arms and legs covered) your good to go!
smiles.gif

I agree

kaesiashden

I live in Idaho, its getting chilly, and now the only reason I run out is for errands.

I put my son in a nice long sleeve/legged onesie w/ sockies since he is mainly going to be in his car seat, I just bring a nice warm blankie to cover him up.

kaesiashden

I live in Idaho, its getting chilly, and now the only reason I run out is for errands.

I put my son in a nice long sleeve/legged onesie w/ sockies since he is mainly going to be in his car seat, I just bring a nice warm blankie to cover him up.

SassyMochaJess

Forget about all that fancy stuff and stick to some good ol' blankets. No matter how warm my son was as soon as we got indoors he would scream bcuz he was hot. It was easy to remove the blankets and zip don't his full body coat thingy(made of fleece). But supermarkets are usually not that warm anyways so? But then again the winters in nyc is not that extreme. Good luck!!

Latest posts