how to get MUAs to actually Sell to you

PerfectlyOdd

So maybe I'm the odd ball here, but I like it when the MUAs try and sell to me, instead of just asking me what I want and picking out everything I ask for with out making any recommendations of their own. Does that make sense?

sometimes I go in and i don't know what I want but that I want something.
smiles.gif

and i know a lot of people don't want to be pounced upon entering. how do i let them know that I want them to "pester" me and show me stuff?

foomph

I would just say that I'm not sure what I'm looking for, can you show me the newest products or your favorites?

And then go from there. That should at least start something.

Sass

I totally agree with you. My best friend and I had the same problem at a MAC counter just recently. We are new to MAC big time and we're still a learning, but this one MA kept asking my best friend what she wanted and kept saying that she couldn't help us if we didn't know what we wanted. I guess she couldn't help us because we didn't know and we were looking to learn new stuff.

We left that Nordie counter and went to Macy's counter instead and it was a different World. The MAs over there were showing us lots and it was great! Whenever we go to a MAC store we always get lots of help, no issues there.

I guess it depends on the personality of the MA ??? That's what I'm guessing. If you don't get what your looking for at one place then go to another...it's what we did.

BEA2LS

i agree, i would just ask
smiles.gif
explain that you want to try something new and would like their insight

Mabelle

just ask. Unfortunately, some MAs are into trying to find you something you'd enjoy. Others just want to help the customer that knows what they want. I think it's lazy and no fun, but ive had this problem too.

ForgetRegret

Going to have to agree with the rest here, ask them for suggestions...MAC does have a lot of products, so if you could narrow it down a LITTLE bit for them, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. For instance "I'm looking for a really great, bright lipstick, but I don't know what colors and tones work for me, what are your faves?", or "I'm building my e/s collection, what do you think the must-have basics are?". If you ask them questions like that, you still leave them room to explore and give you lots of suggestions, but you steer them in a direction so that they're not showing you something you may not need. Also, if you're looking for foundations, powders, etc, it's helpful to let them know your skin type, so "My skin is really oily, so I'm looking for a good liquid foundation that won't make it worse", this would let them lead you to primers to possibly help, MAC matte, foundation, and setting powder...again, broad enough for options, but narrow enough to give the MA a starting point. HTH!

Strawberrymold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
Going to have to agree with the rest here, ask them for suggestions...MAC does have a lot of products, so if you could narrow it down a LITTLE bit for them, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. For instance "I'm looking for a really great, bright lipstick, but I don't know what colors and tones work for me, what are your faves?", or "I'm building my e/s collection, what do you think the must-have basics are?". If you ask them questions like that, you still leave them room to explore and give you lots of suggestions, but you steer them in a direction so that they're not showing you something you may not need. Also, if you're looking for foundations, powders, etc, it's helpful to let them know your skin type, so "My skin is really oily, so I'm looking for a good liquid foundation that won't make it worse", this would let them lead you to primers to possibly help, MAC matte, foundation, and setting powder...again, broad enough for options, but narrow enough to give the MA a starting point. HTH!

I agree. When someone doesn't know what they want it can be confusing territory for a MUA. They need at least something, ie; I'm looking for a natural look, smokey eyes, I like bright colors etc. They can make ton's of recs, they just need some place to start.

In my own experiance even if my clients have no idea how to get what they want, they do have some idea of what kind of look they would prefer.

My suggestion is to dig through some magzines and find some pics of looks you like, finish of the skin, colors, shapes etc. bring these in with you and show them to the MUA. It will give them a better idea of where to start from.

hope that helps!

Latest posts