How to look normal in pictures?

tannny

Hey guys, I need your help. So I do my make up, it looks good in person, and in close up pictures, but when there is a group pic to be taken, or a pic that isn't so up close my makeup looks like a big mess. I have olive skin and no matter how much bronzer i put on, there is no definition on the face, and it looks like big mess, just super dull. Up close in pictures there is no problem, but it is almost as if there is no definition in the face, like not in the eyes, nothing...do you guys get what im saying? how can i make my look more prominent in pictures? Any tips? Do i just pack even more make up on? Like for example, i did a smokey eye, using the smokey eye palette from MAC, and i did shading contouring on they eye, but in pictures it just looked grey. I am just so sad because these pictures were from my 21st bday, and the make up i thought i looked great, looked horrible in the pictures. I mean, I couldnt take close up angled myspace pics for my 21st, it seems as though my makeup only looks decent in those types of pics...

help me out
smiles.gif

t.i.a.

Kuuipo

I've done quite a bit of photographic modeling in the past, and when it comes to colour photography, less is more! Don't pack on the makeup, it will look artificial! You should start with a matte foundation and use non frosty highlighting and contour only if you need to. Don't overdo it. Harsh lights make everything look worse....(when I was working there was no such thing as "photoshop" so models really had to be flawless.) You must use colours that are natural and attractive and not too shiny. Don't be afraid to blot, powder and retouch everything. Avoid the bronzer, it will translate to greasy and muddy. Make sure there are no smudges on your makeup or clumps on your mascara. You may want to swap out black liner for dark brown, taupe or smoke. Black tends to cast harsh, aging shadows. You may want to rehearse your makeup and do test photos on an unforgiving camera like a Polaroid. Most people look great on cell phone or digital cameras but sickly on Polaroids, and if you pass the Polaroid test.....you are ready. (My photo below is a black and white Polaroid from 2 years ago) (Try browns instead of blacks for your smokey eye as well. Try peach instead of stark white or silvery, its kinder)

tannny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
I've done quite a bit of photographic modeling in the past, and when it comes to colour photography, less is more! Don't pack on the makeup, it will look artificial! You should start with a matte foundation and use non frosty highlighting and contour only if you need to. Don't overdo it. Harsh lights make everything look worse....(when I was working there was no such thing as "photoshop" so models really had to be flawless.) You must use colours that are natural and attractive and not too shiny. Don't be afraid to blot, powder and retouch everything. Avoid the bronzer, it will translate to greasy and muddy. Make sure there are no smudges on your makeup or clumps on your mascara. You may want to swap out black liner for dark brown, taupe or smoke. Black tends to cast harsh, aging shadows. You may want to rehearse your makeup and do test photos on an unforgiving camera like a Polaroid. Most people look great on cell phone or digital cameras but sickly on Polaroids, and if you pass the Polaroid test.....you are ready. (My photo below is a black and white Polaroid from 2 years ago) (Try browns instead of blacks for your smokey eye as well. Try peach instead of stark white or silvery, its kinder)

Wow thanks so much for the tips! I will take each and everyone of them and use them..THANKS SO MUCH
smiles.gif
i really appreciate it! btw that polaroid is gorgeous!!!