How Were Sales This Holiday Season?

SallyPal

I realize that the holidays aren't over but with all the talk about the economy, et al, I am wondering how this holiday season is shaping up so far at the department store counters and the beauty boutiques like Bare Escentuals, Sephora and Ulta. Are sales as good as expected? Better? Worse? What trends are you seeing? Any information would be helpful as I ponder entry into cosmetic beauty sales the first of the year -- hopefully as a full-time job. Thanks so much. This forum is a wealth of knowledge!

eulchen

I cannot speak for any American company but we had a very slow start in november and december. november staying under november last year. the first weeks in december we were behind a five digit euro amount compared to last years december. and then christmas week came, and sales literally exploded (we doubled mon dec 15 on mon dec 22 for example) so now we are actually reaching last years sales.

still, were behind our targets as are all shops of our company worldwide (maybe there are exceptions, havent heard of them yet.)

so i would say: economy definitely has an impact, but i would not consider it as high as everybody makes it... AND i read a study somewhere, that even though economy is in crisis, people are still willing to spend on cosmetics next year and saving on other stuff. according to that article it is a shift in spending priorities usual in bad economy, and it will result in growth for the cosmetic industry, but dont ask me why. read that a few weeks ago.

SallyPal

Thanks so much for your response. It's definitely interesting to learn how things are faring in other parts of the world. I, too, had read that cosmetics are less recession prone. Thanks again for the quick response!

mafalda

eulchen,

just slightly OT: I did my German shopping tour the other day - and for the first time EVER got samples at a German LUSH store! The mere fact had me totally baffled...
smiles.gif

Saludos
mafalda

eulchen

that is odd. were supposed to give all customers samples... except during december, because we dont have the time... so youre double unusual
winkiss.gif

SallyPal

I'm waiting for the LUSH stores to really hit the States. I went to one several years ago in Vancouver, BC and it was great!