Hygiene Questions

ginger9

I know many people purchase used e/s, f/l and pigments, however after hearing a friend of mine tell me she gets eye infections repeatedly (she gets them every couple of month) I have totally turned off sharing makeup or purchasing used makeup. I just don't want to take the chance of contacting anything. It really isn't worth it imo. Yes I understand proper disinfecting technique will just about kill all the bacteria and germs. But there's still that 0.1% that I don't want to risk.

PMBG83

Hellz to the naw! And I have allergy eyes on top of that! Nah if I really like it and its a brand name product( and if I cant find a cheaper dupe of it) then Ill just breakdown and get it(also if Ill be getting some use out of it and will actually use it).

slowhoney

There are certain products you should never buy used (lip products being one of them or other products that easily collect bacteria like mascara or other cream/liquid products), but I will personally buy lightly used eye shadows and of course BNIB items. Anything containing a wand I will not buy. And as a general rule, I will not buy used lip products. I don't see the harm in things like blushes either. It would actually be interesting and helpful to talk to a doctor about what would be transferable with make-up and what would not. :p

mjalomo

I just don't buy used makeup because I like brand new ones better. I would rather buy one new lipstick than four used ones. It has nothing to do with germs; I like the way things look when they are new (hatchmarks on a product, those crisp curves on a new lipstick). Opening a new makeup product and being the first to use it gives me a rush. But then again, I'm older and I don't share my makeup with anyone or apply it on other people (friends, sisters, etc). It is all just for me. If I were young and having fun with my friends, I probably would swap and not think twice about it.

xkriss

Thank you Love Always Ivy and Wannabe Junkie.
Turns out it was a contact that somehow I didn't take out even though I would have bet my life I took it out.

shadowaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalomo
I just don't buy used makeup because I like brand new ones better. I would rather buy one new lipstick than four used ones. It has nothing to do with germs; I like the way things look when they are new (hatchmarks on a product, those crisp curves on a new lipstick). Opening a new makeup product and being the first to use it gives me a rush. But then again, I'm older and I don't share my makeup with anyone or apply it on other people (friends, sisters, etc). It is all just for me. If I were young and having fun with my friends, I probably would swap and not think twice about it.

clap.gif
Me too, I am so this way about most things. I will not even buy a paperback book from Barnes & Noble if the spine is creased. I just love the look, feel, and smell of new things.
rofl.gif

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict
clap.gif
Me too, I am so this way about most things. I will not even buy a paperback book from Barnes & Noble if the spine is creased. I just love the look, feel, and smell of new things.
rofl.gif

I do the same thing with books. LOL.

greengoesmoo

I am always concerned about some brands which are obviously openable in the store before buying. I always open the box to check what is on the label is what's in there.. Who's to say someone else didn't and use it first? :S

The only used cosmetic I'm really comfortable with buying is nail polish.
(unless it's for experiments, which happen fairly often, I like to see how certain things will stain fabrics, and my my some lippies do!!)

The only people I share anything that isn't on a brand spanking new brush with are a small number of very close mates and my dad (and my now ex bf.)

Latest posts