I.a.t.s.t.e 891

aeni

Anyone a member of IATSTE as a MA? I'm interested in joining, but have no clue of whether or not I should join yet and would like to hear experiences from other members.

pixichik77

I am not a member of IATSE yet, but I intend to join when I am done with school. My husband is an IATSE member as a stage hand. But I am a little confused... you are in AZ? I beleive you would want to join local 706. There are only 2 major locals for makeup and hair, and the West coast local is more stable. 891 is Art department. Also... you ventilate? Where did you learn? (just curious)

aeni

Thanks for the correct number. Few MAs seem to be apart of it so I literally have no guidance whatsoever except from a few stagehands and set dressers that come from LA.

I learned how to ventilate in college. Theatre program that is offered every 2-4 years. You can also learn at an opera house for minimum wage.

prplgrapesmakup

The address is www.local706.org its the makeup union for the west coast. They give all the info on the website, but to quickly break it down you need to complete a 60-60-60. Which is 60 days of work per year, for 3-5 years from your fist day of hire. You need paid and non-paid work. Hope that helps.

pixichik77

aeni, what college did you attend? My school teaches it, but not many do. Sorry if I am pestering you, I am just curious.