I cannot believe they would treat a customer like this...I feel cheated!

X4biddenxLustX

As usual Im ranting to my girls on here!

But about 2 weeks ago, I was on my laptop as usual at nite and started hearing a very LOUD scary noise coming from where the vents are on it. I had never heard it make this loud of a noise before and about an hour later my laptop shut down on its own. Everytime I tried turning it back on it would maybe stay on from anywhere between a few seconds to a few minutes before shutting down again. I also noticed a very strange noise coming from inside the laptop when I would pick it up and tilt it gentle. It sounded as if something inside broke off and was moving around in there, other times it sounded as if something was rattling inside.

A couple nights later I decided to try to turn it back on and voila! it stayed on for several hours without turning off by itself. I was actually able to even upload pictures from a recent trip onto it with no problems. But the next day when I tried using it again, no such luck. It shut off by itself within about a half hour or so.

Im currently a college student and it's been ridiculous not having a computer to use because I do take an online class, along with other courses that require that I have a computer to use at home. It takes me 2 hours to get to and from school using public transportation and the school library closes pretty early also. So it really is a huge inconvenience to be without a laptop.

My father decides to take it to this computer repair shop that's sort of close to our area last Saturday and have them try to figure out what was officially wrong with it. He paid them $80 (In cash I believe) JUST to take a look at the laptop and diagnose the issue. I was not there when he took it in and do not know what he told them the problems I was having with it was. I find the number of the shop on Monday morning before 11 AM (when my classes for the day start) and talk to someone there. I told them what the issues I was having with it was and asked if they had figured out what the issue with it was. They told me that since it was just brought in on Saturday afternoon, that they have not yet but that they were going to be working on it just now. I asked for an estimate of how long it would approximately take to do so, which I don't believe is unreasonable to ask. They told me that they do not know and that it could possibly take the rest of the week. Having no choice I told them that that was fine and for them to just call me back when they figured out what the problem with it was.

The next day at noon I received a call from them stating that they found out what the problem was. Apparently there was an issue with a stick of ram inside my laptop and that it had to be replaced in order to fix it. I asked them specifically if that was the ONLY issue they found and they told me yes. They said that if I gave them the okay they could have it fixed up for me the next day and I could come pick it up and pay $64.99 plus tax to have it installed. I agreed. So I go to pick it up the next day and my father pays for it.

I don't get a chance to test it out until this morning and just now and notice that while it has not shut down on me by itself YET, that there is still a sound coming from within the laptop (left side more specifically) that sounds as if something inside is moving around when being tilted. Again, I'm not expert but a laptop shouldn't be making that kind of noise. So I decide to call the shop up and I cannot believe the way this guy responded to me when I told him about the noise.

With the rudest tone of voice he said this:

That when the laptop was brought in no one mentioned to them anything about a noise coming from within it but only that it was turning off by itself. That they did not take the entire laptop apart to look for problems but only part of it and that if they were to do so they would of charged me a higher price to diagnose the issue with it. I was told that I had paid for them to find out what the problem with the laptop shutting off by itself was and that that was what they did for me. He said that if I wanted to I could bring it in again and they could take another look at it but of course with extra charge. I asked if I were to do that how long approximately would it take because I'm in school and kind of really need my laptop. He got even ruder with me and said that he can't give me a time estimate and that there are other people ahead of me waiting for their computers to be taken care of. That I can't just demand to have a date and time of when things will be ready and that they actually did me a huge favor of hurrying up and fixing up my laptop for me and such and such. Then he really did just tell me that if we would keep having phone conversations like this that he doesn't want to deal with it anymore. He accuses me of dropping off my laptop on saturday and calling the next day at 10am asking if it was done already or not. First off, I did not call the shop until MONDAY morning for the very first time!

So basically, I just got off the phone with the rudest asshole and out $140 and my laptop probably still needs more repair work. Is there anything I could do to somehow get my money back or anything at all? Because I was told that the stick of ram was the only issue my laptop was having and that once that was fixed everything would be fine and running again. I had paid them money to figure out wat was all wrong with the laptop and they did not do that for me!

LMD84

where the noise is coming from is that where your fan is? because if your fan is broken (bit snapped off or just not working at all) then that could have been why your pc was turning itself off before it over heated. this is the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the issue. the ram that they replaced could have caused it to shut down - however generally if ram is loose or broke it means that the operating system won't load - but of course i am no expert in computer repairs but obviously this is what i know from my work in an electronics store.

X4biddenxLustX

Yea the noise is coming from the left side of my laptop where the vents are. Im super super busy as of right now but my friend's cousin who knows a bit about computers offered to take it apart and look at it sometime soon. Hopefully we figure out what the problem is and it's not something serious and is easily fixed.

mocha_queen

People are so rude, I hear you.
If you paid them to diagnose what was wrong with the laptop, they should have figured out the noise without having to be told about it.
They're just doing a crappy job.

But on another note, you know your IT department at school will sometimes take a look at your laptop? Even if they can just tell you what is wrong with it, it might be worth it. :)

X4biddenxLustX

^^ I'm just totally appalled at the way this guy talked to me. Idk if he was the owner or not but I'm pretty sure he was though. I'll for sure never ever recommend them to anyone. I think it's ridiculous that they not only treated me this way but thought it was totally unreasonable for me to ask about a time frame for when things would be diagnosed and or fixed?!! I mean seriously... I could give them my laptop and it wouldn't get looked at for 2 or 3 weeks for all I could know! But they acted like I was the unreasonable one with all the questions I was asking.

I didn't think of asking my school. That's a good idea. I go to a community college though and not sure if they have an IT department there or not. I can try asking if not I'll have to see when my friend's cousin can come over and take it apart and look at it. Hopefully it's nothing serious and my laptop won't break down again ugh...I have a 10 page paper due on Othello, speech outlines, math text book pages I had uploaded onto my laptop and an online course I take.