I can't sleep alone!

KAIA

Hi! here is my problem, I just ended a 4 year relationship with my ex., we lived together pretty much the whole 4 years. Now, whenever i try to go to bed alone , I can't , I just can't do it, I have to take sleeping pills otherwise I won't even close my eyes and I get VERY anxious.
I have a new relationship now, and he comes to my apartment and sleeps with me very frequently, those are the only days I can sleep fine, but whenever he can't come to my apartment, I can't sleep.
I'm having a problem with depending on someone to go to sleep.. does anyone of you have been through that? how did you get over it?

SparklingWaves

When hubby isn't here, my big dogs (one is the avatar) are in the bed. They feel and sound just like a man is in the room. They even snore too. LOL I know this isn't really the answer, but boy it sure makes me feel safe. They feel like warm cement and are living motion detectors.

sitasati

I know how that feels! I went through that too. Unfortunately, I had to get over it cause I didn't feel like getting into a new relationship. But I think after a couple of months I got over it and finally started to sleep better.

SparklingWaves

It's probably a habit that in time will get better or you can get a warm fur angel
smiles.gif

user79

I haven't had that. It is nice to sleep with a partner in bed, but tbh, sometimes I revel when I get the bed all to myself if my bf is away. Maybe you can try to ease your anxiety in other ways, like playing some very relaxing music very softly in the background, or drinking herbal tea to help you get to sleep. Don't get hooked on sleeping pills!

CantAffordMAC

I go through a similar thing. When my boyfriend and I sleep together, I always have to be touching him, or really really close to him, or holding him, or have him holding me. If we are sleeping together, I can't just be on the opposite side of the bed and not touch him at all. I'm not sure why I am this way. If we aren't touching, I can't sleep and I'm uncomfortable.

But when I'm alone I don't have a problem getting to sleep, its just not as comfortable. I can only suggest what everyone else has said: a stuffed animal, a real animal, maybe a body pillow to hug. Or maybe if you relax yourself before bed it will be easy to get to sleep (take a warm bath, drink tea,read a book, etc). I think you might get used to it in time and it will improve (thats what happened to me)

Beauty Mark

Stuffed animal? It might seem embarrassing, but if you miss the sound of another person being there, maybe get one of those stuffed animals that little kids have to mimic the sound of their mother

I sleep alone. Well, I have three cats and one sleeps at my head, and the other two sleeps around me (or sometimes on top of me). I wish they weren't so clingy