I desperately need Hair Dye help.

Robby_Raynebow

Well I had half-blond/half-black hair, but I wanted a red color. So I bleached up the black side and put a protein filler and Ion Color Brillance Red Intense Blonde. It turned out orange, So I then dyed it again with more protien filler and it turned out orange/red. So the next day I went back to Sally's and bought Lt. Burgundy Blond in the same line of color. I dyed that without a filler and it was sooo faded looking. I subsequently went back and bought protien filler in red red and the dye again. I dyed it and it looked less faded but still wasn't a rich color. It is now two days later and my hair has drastically faded all over to a bright coppery orange. I expected that the blond side wouldn't hold color well but it's all over and two days is a little outrageous for my coor to have faded this much. It's worse than a semi-permeanent dye.

Will someone please tell me what I did wrong and how to get color to stick. I have to dye it again and I need to know exactly what to do.

Ive been dyeing my ahir for years with no trouble.

pumpkincat210

Black dye is so difficult to get out and then put a color on top of it without it looking wrong. I would suggest waiting a bit and conditioning your hair and going to a reputable salon that is good with color. You may have to pay more than you want, but if you get a good colorist they can tell you the best way to fix it or suggest another color if it's just not possible. And then pay atttention so you can do it yourself next time.
Your hair shaft maybe not laying down smooth enough to hold color since you've been putting alot of stuff on it in a short period of time.

TISH1124

Wow...I am of no help...but I am surprised you still have hair after all that...you must have amazingly strong hair mine would be on the floor

Robby_Raynebow

To PumkinCat210 - It was all one shade and the problem isn't that the color is uneven. I thank you for your advice but my problem is the fact that my hair isn't taking color.

To Tish - Oh god don't I thank my genes that I was blessed with some thick ass strong as hell hair. I've put it through quite a bit.

Just for further notice. With the area I live in. There is a 20% chance thast I will get a hairdresser who knows color enough to do a dye job that I couldn't do myslef.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby_Raynebow
To PumkinCat210 - It was all one shade and the problem isn't that the color is uneven. I thank you for your advice but my problem is the fact that my hair isn't taking color.

To Tish - Oh god don't I thank my genes that I was blessed with some thick ass strong as hell hair. I've put it through quite a bit.

Just for further notice. With the area I live in. There is a 20% chance thast I will get a hairdresser who knows color enough to do a dye job that I couldn't do myslef.

I hope you can fix it! Like I mentioned above if your hair shaft is flayed "up" instead of down, like it normally should, haircolor will not stay. Deep condition more and go easy on your hair.
I once decided to go platinum. The first time it worked. The second time I left it on for less time and ended up with rubber band hair in the back, it was awful, i had to chop alot off to get it smooth again. I've been dying my hair with developers and toners for years and never had a problem. Your hair must be really strong after all of that. It sucks you don't have easy access to a colorist for a second opinion, where they can actually look and feel your hair.

Robby_Raynebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I hope you can fix it! Like I mentioned above if your hair shaft is flayed "up" instead of down, like it normally should, haircolor will not stay. Deep condition more and go easy on your hair.
I once decided to go platinum. The first time it worked. The second time I left it on for less time and ended up with rubber band hair in the back, it was awful, i had to chop alot off to get it smooth again. I've been dying my hair with developers and toners for years and never had a problem. Your hair must be really strong after all of that. It sucks you don't have easy access to a colorist for a second opinion, where they can actually look and feel your hair.

I do a cholestral treatment once or twice a week, but I really need a fix for it now. Its sad for the area that I live in doing hair has become an occupation for the girls that are too stupid to do anything else. All we have is a BOCES prgram and it just teaches enough for you to pass state boards.

User38

yikes -- and I thought my light platinumy hair was a pain! Try to use as much conditioner (warm olive oil worked for me) mixed in and do some warm towel wraps. Just mix the conditioner and the oil and put a dampt towel in the microwave (not too hot!). Put the conditioner on your hair and use a shower cap on top of that put the warm hot towel and let it work for about 20 minutes. Wash gently and use a light conditioner afterwards. Hope you work this out!

Kitty*

What were the underlying tones in your hair when you put the colour in? If there was a lot of yellow/orange (which is very likely since you took your black out)

If you think about it yellow + red = well, orange

I would try neutralizing whatever tone you have

So if its yellow then you'd use a violet-base colour

if its orange then a blue-base colour

I hope that helps
smiles.gif

strickers

Holy shit, I would hate to feel what your hair feels like.

Honestly if you want a red I'd suggest doing one of those bright conditioner colors like Punky colors or Manic Panic.. those won't be as harsh and since they stain as opposed to chemically dye they won't do as much damage. All the chems you've put on your hair without giving it time to recover has fucked your hair shaft and cuticle. There is no instant fix.

ame

You really should just give it a break for a few MONTHS. Your hair can't probably hold the color anymore, since you've so overdone it in such a short period of time. Use the Kpak every few days and some really moisturizing products and lay off the heat a while.

SerenityRaine

Definitely wait it out, you don't want to put any more stress on your hair than you already have.

Try:
Nexxus Emergencee + Kpak
Morrocan Oil is also awesome.

I'm not that familiar with Sally but I know from going to my beauty stores with my friend who is a hairstylist that there are color boosts to add more of a certain shade to your hair. Redken, Matrix, etc.

Ahh, I have the opposite problem whenever I try to go orange/copper they give me red... I <3 orange.

Jessica0984

To be honest no amount of red kicker added to red color is going to get your hair to hold any color. It is way too damaged and I am not even sure if you are going to be able to fix it with conditioner. I would recommend not doing any more color to it, deep condition it, and let it grow and cut it off and start over with virgin hair. I have had this happen myself and cutting it is the only thing that helped.