I don't know what I should own...Help?

SweetSweetIrony

I've got my basics, I've got my primers and my foundations and my concealers, etc. I've got fun eyeshadows and I have neutrals (mostly from UD's Deluxe Shadow Palette).

But I don't know what else. I don't have many lipsticks. I own zero blushes. No real highlighters, and the only eyeliners I have are either black, or neon colours.

I don't know what lipstick colours would go with my skintone, I don't know if it's even possible for me to wear blush. I have insanely rosy cheeks that not even primer and foundation cover completely. I'm not sure what colour eyeshadows or eyeliners would be good to have. You get my drift.

I'm also extrememly pale, and my hair colour changes quite often. I linked pictures where I'm wearing little to no make-up. I'm especially not wearing blush in any of them.

One.
Two.
Three.

Ziya

Ohhh you are so pretty
greengrin.gif
love your skin... I would recc some lippies! A bright blue based red like Mac Russian Red etc would look nice. Also a soft pink MLBB look? try Patisserie..faux or brave. If you can get your hands on A rose romance, that would look nice too. For nudes, maybe jubilee..?
Blushes, I would say try Tenderling Sincere Prism Mocha Melba.
HTH!

SweetSweetIrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziya
Ohhh you are so pretty
greengrin.gif
love your skin... I would recc some lippies! A bright blue based red like Mac Russian Red etc would look nice. Also a soft pink MLBB look? try Patisserie..faux or brave. If you can get your hands on A rose romance, that would look nice too. For nudes, maybe jubilee..?
Blushes, I would say try Tenderling Sincere Prism Mocha Melba.
HTH!

Yeah, I own one red lipstick, but it tends to go pink on me. And I'd like to have one nice RED red vampy lipstick.

MLBB??

I've really been looking at Bubbles and Show Orchid, but I'm wary about pinks because my cheeks are just SO well..pink. Same with blushes, wouldn't blushes look strange over just more pink? I always thought it would be nice to have a peach blush or a dramatic plum, but they'd be layered over my already highly pigmented cheeks and I'm just not sure what to do about that.

Also, I'm looking for something to contour with. I have some fairly nice cheekbones I think, but I'm so pale that most bronzers and browns would be much too dark.

And it did help, thanks. Especially for the pretty remark.
shockt.gif

marquise

I'm very pale too with quite red cheeks. I wear blusher but I go for peaches and neutral blushes. I love MAC's cremeblush in Lillicent and I recently got Springsheen which is a lovely sheer, shimmery peach. I would never wear a deep pink or red blush.

Most bronzers are too dark on me too - I love Guerlain's Terracotta Bronzer for Blondes on my skin. It is really light and natural and you can build it up (I'm a brunette but the blonde version suits my pale skin).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc... aginate=true

Simply Elegant

If you want a bronzer that's not too dark, buy a pressed powder in a shade or 2 darker than what you are. I find it looks more natural because there's no shimmer and it won't be too dark.
I'd stick with peachy blushes like peaches and springsheen.
If you want a vampy lip try mixing a tiny bit of black liquid liner with the red lipstick you own. You can avoid buying a new one that way and can adjust the darkness easily.
MUFE and NARS have the best highlighters for pale skin. Shine on powder and albatross would be pretty.

purrtykitty

MLBB = My Lips But Better, which basically means the lipstick is the shade of your lips, with a lil' something extra. Patisserie is great for that. You said that you were looking at Bubbles and Show Orchid, and I think you should definitely try them on! Show Orchid, especially, looks great on us pale ladies.

If you want a really great red, Makeup Forever (MUFE) has a fantastic one 208, I think.

My best advice is to go and play and see what works for you. Judging by your coloring, I'd suggest (just to get you started):

Pink Swoon Blush
Dainty Mineralize Blush
Mocha Blush
Pinch O' Peach Blush
Satellite Dreams e/s
Blackberry e/s
Shale e/s
Greensmoke e/s
Juxt e/s
Goldmine e/s
Scene e/s
Cranberry e/s
Rich Ground Fluidliner
Macroviolet Fluidliner

MUFE has fantastic foundations. Foundation you'll definitely want to try on to see if you are getting the right coverage. Sephora will give you a sample, too, so you can try it for a few days to see if you really like it.

My best advice is to go and play a little bit. I love doing that and discovering colors I never would've looked twice at. And use the MAs. They have the knowledge and will really be able to make suggestions for you that will work.

DirtyHarriet

My advice: don't worry about what the right things are that you should own. Instead, focus on what features you want to emphasize, or what look you're going for.

The number one mistake I made when getting into makeup is trying to get EVERYTHING. I felt like I needed one of everything - I'm one of those collector dorks!
winks.gif
And now, there are a lot of things I don't really use.

Also, remember that products serve double duty. A highlight eye shadow (shroom, blanc type, etc) can also act as a highlight on your cheek (applied lightly). A pinky or peachy eye shadow can also double as a blush (i love paradisco as a blush). And don't worry so much about blush if you have naturally rosey cheeks. A cream blush (or cream color base) can be worn on the lips.

With lipsticks, it's best to go to a MAC counter (or another counter whose lipstick forumla you like) and try some colors on. Get the makeup artist to help you. Have an idea about what kind of look you're going for. Do you want the neutral (very pale) lip look? Do you want to just bring out your lip color a little more (ie: Your lips but better)? Do you want a stand out shade?

Best of luck!
winks.gif

SweetSweetIrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
If you want a bronzer that's not too dark, buy a pressed powder in a shade or 2 darker than what you are. I find it looks more natural because there's no shimmer and it won't be too dark.
I'd stick with peachy blushes like peaches and springsheen.
If you want a vampy lip try mixing a tiny bit of black liquid liner with the red lipstick you own. You can avoid buying a new one that way and can adjust the darkness easily.
MUFE and NARS have the best highlighters for pale skin. Shine on powder and albatross would be pretty.

What about MAC's scultping powders? Aren't they made for contouring?

Albatross has gold flecks though, and I'd be looking for something more cool toned.

SweetSweetIrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarriet
My advice: don't worry about what the right things are that you should own. Instead, focus on what features you want to emphasize, or what look you're going for.

The number one mistake I made when getting into makeup is trying to get EVERYTHING. I felt like I needed one of everything - I'm one of those collector dorks!
winks.gif
And now, there are a lot of things I don't really use.

Also, remember that products serve double duty. A highlight eye shadow (shroom, blanc type, etc) can also act as a highlight on your cheek (applied lightly). A pinky or peachy eye shadow can also double as a blush (i love paradisco as a blush). And don't worry so much about blush if you have naturally rosey cheeks. A cream blush (or cream color base) can be worn on the lips.

With lipsticks, it's best to go to a MAC counter (or another counter whose lipstick forumla you like) and try some colors on. Get the makeup artist to help you. Have an idea about what kind of look you're going for. Do you want the neutral (very pale) lip look? Do you want to just bring out your lip color a little more (ie: Your lips but better)? Do you want a stand out shade?

Best of luck!
winks.gif

Right now I mostly need some refills of things, and some new things. I'm looking for a good nice dark blue eyeshadow with no glitter, for blue smokey eyes. A red eyeshadow, and a good nice white for highlighting the browbone/inner corner.

Aside from that, I'm also looking for a good pressed powder that will give a bit of coverage, but still has a bit of luminousity to it. Something like MSFN, or something else if there's something that works better.

Oh, and I'm looking at Luna cream colour base as a highlighter/eyeshadow base/etc things. But what's the finish on CCB's? Would it blend well on cheekbones or would it be too opaque. Would it make eyeshadows crease? (I'd wear primer under it).

I plan on hitting up Sephora/Mac soon. And since I only go about 1-3 times a year, I have to make each visit count. So many questions!

purrtykitty

Luna CCB is a frost finish, but it goes on very sheer and is buildable. I use it quite often as a brow highlight and as a highlight on my inner eye. CCBs often crease on me, even with a primer, I think because they are so creamy. A lot of others don't have a problem, though, so you really won't know unless you try.

DirtyHarriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSweetIrony
Right now I mostly need some refills of things, and some new things. I'm looking for a good nice dark blue eyeshadow with no glitter, for blue smokey eyes. A red eyeshadow, and a good nice white for highlighting the browbone/inner corner.
Aside from that, I'm also looking for a good pressed powder that will give a bit of coverage, but still has a bit of luminousity to it. Something like MSFN, or something else if there's something that works better.
Oh, and I'm looking at Luna cream colour base as a highlighter/eyeshadow base/etc things. But what's the finish on CCB's? Would it blend well on cheekbones or would it be too opaque. Would it make eyeshadows crease? (I'd wear primer under it).
I plan on hitting up Sephora/Mac soon. And since I only go about 1-3 times a year, I have to make each visit count. So many questions!

Dark blue matte eye shadows tend to be really hard to blend. I have the one from the Naughty Nauticals collection (I think it's called Meet the Fleet) and I like the color - dark but still reads blue and not black. Maybe you can still find it out there in swap land. Also, I think Nehru is pretty.

Pressed powder - not sure of anything better since I use MSFN - but if you find it - let me know!
smiles.gif

Luna is a lovely ccb. When blended on the cheeks it's a nice non-sticky, non-greasy finish. It's very subtle shimmer, so would make a lovely highlighter. On the eyes, I have not had much luck with ccb's. They crease on me, even if I apply a base underneath, and sheer out the ccb. A paint pot or benefit creasless shadow may work better for you and some colors would still be nice as a highlighter.

Enjoy haulin'!

SweetSweetIrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarriet
Dark blue matte eye shadows tend to be really hard to blend. I have the one from the Naughty Nauticals collection (I think it's called Meet the Fleet) and I like the color - dark but still reads blue and not black. Maybe you can still find it out there in swap land. Also, I think Nehru is pretty.

Pressed powder - not sure of anything better since I use MSFN - but if you find it - let me know!
smiles.gif

Luna is a lovely ccb. When blended on the cheeks it's a nice non-sticky, non-greasy finish. It's very subtle shimmer, so would make a lovely highlighter. On the eyes, I have not had much luck with ccb's. They crease on me, even if I apply a base underneath, and sheer out the ccb. A paint pot or benefit creasless shadow may work better for you and some colors would still be nice as a highlighter.

Enjoy haulin'!

It doesn't have to be matte, I meant more along the lines of not being UD's Goddess. Dark blue, but with glitter. If I could just find a nice dark blue, that'd be nice. A straight up dark BLUE blue that can be used as an alternate to my usual dark colours/smokey eyes.

Well Luna sounds like a good pick for a cheek highlighter then, yay.

Hmm, how well DO paint pots hold up as a base? In comparison to UDPP? I use that now and I love it, but I'm almost out and that bottle is just not as effective as it should be.
ssad.gif

Civies

Personally paint pots crease on me no matter how much I sheer it out. I still have to apply it really lightly under my UDPP for it to not crease but I know many people who only use paint pots and they have no problem with creasing so it's really up to your skin.

DirtyHarriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSweetIrony
It doesn't have to be matte, I meant more along the lines of not being UD's Goddess. Dark blue, but with glitter. If I could just find a nice dark blue, that'd be nice. A straight up dark BLUE blue that can be used as an alternate to my usual dark colours/smokey eyes.

Well Luna sounds like a good pick for a cheek highlighter then, yay.

Hmm, how well DO paint pots hold up as a base? In comparison to UDPP? I use that now and I love it, but I'm almost out and that bottle is just not as effective as it should be.
ssad.gif

If you don't mind shimmer then also check out deep truth.

I think you'll like luna. Also check out hush and pearl.

I think UDPP is a better base than paint pots. I usually use both Too faced shadow insurance and then paint pot on top for color. But I have very deep set oily lids that crease like crazy. I have used paint pots without creasing, but I have to be careful to apply to lid only and in a very thin layer.

I agree that the UDPP packaging sucks. You can get a lot of product out if you cut it open. There are tutorials all over the web on how to do that. Alternatively, give it a good bang or two on a table or counter to loosen the product from the sides.