I Feel SO Guilty..

revinn

I could just scream.

Ok, so here's the situation. I moved out of my house a few days ago to live on residence at my university, about 20 min., a half hour away from home. I was so excited to be on my own; I'm 18, and this is my first time living by myself. I absolutely LOVE it here. I love my room, the independence, frosh week, all the people.. but there's one problem: my mother.

This past year, I've had severe problems with depression. She's been so supportive, and it broke her heart to see me that way. We've always been close, but we fight a lot, and this year it got even worse. Now that I've started antidepressants, I feel like my life has done a 180. I could NOT be happier, and I'm excited to start my new life. However, my mother is so worried that I'll relapse or that I won't take care of myself. She cries whenever I call her, and my brother told me that she talks about me incessantly, asking him and my dad if they think I'll be ok, if they think I'm happy, etc.

I love my mom more then anything and it's killing me that she's so upset about me moving out. I feel like I shouldn't be having fun. Should I move back in? Is there something I should tell her? Am I completely selfish? I need to know!!

BeautyPsycho

I don't think you are selfish at all! Your mom is just worried, but you need to assure her that you are feeling better than ever and if you ever need any help, you will call her.
smiles.gif

I think this moving out thing helped you! You said so yourself. You are feeling happier and that's so important. You will do better in school when you feel happy and relaxed.
And you are still so close to home, you can drop by to see your parents whenever!

MACLovin

^ I couldn't have said it better myself.
smiles.gif

Don't feel guilty for having fun. You are young and beginning a new chapter in your life. So just reassure your mom that you are fine, visit her as much as you can, and keep in touch. She will adjust, it's probably just an emotional time for her right now, her 'baby girl' is leaving home.. you know? But you're close enough to be able to come home every now and then, and far enough that she isn't knocking on your door every day or something, haha
winks.gif

Hope all goes well!

hooked*on*mac

Congratulations on your big move!i totally agree with beautyphysco,i dont think that you are being selfish at all, but i would only think that your mum is concerned for you, lol that's what mum's do ! i'd say that she just wants to be sure that you are ok =)best of luck @ uni and keep on smiling

Beauty Mark

Parents just get freaked out that you're growing up. Don't move back unless you want to; your mother may act like she wants you under her roof, but really, she just wants you to be happy and healthy.

I'd call her regularly and perhaps before classes begin or get too hectic, invite her over! Let her truly see that you are okay.

joey444

Your mom is just being a mom. It's natural for moms to worry sick over their kids, especially when one leaves to go on their own from the "safe" shelter of their home. I remember when I moved out when I was 18, the same thing happened at the beginning but then my mom got used to the idea that I lived by myself and the fact that I showed her that I was fine and taking care of myself, she seemed to calm down.
Trust me, I'm 29 and have 2 little girls myself and my mom STILL worries about me! It's in our nature
winks.gif
!
Having said that, go out there and have the time of your life. This is your life to live without regrets!

emeraldjewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey444
Your mom is just being a mom. It's natural for moms to worry sick over their kids, especially when one leaves to go on their own from the "safe" shelter of their home. I remember when I moved out when I was 18, the same thing happened at the beginning but then my mom got used to the idea that I lived by myself and the fact that I showed her that I was fine and taking care of myself, she seemed to calm down.
Trust me, I'm 29 and have 2 little girls myself and my mom STILL worries about me! It's in our nature
winks.gif
!
Having said that, go out there and have the time of your life. This is your life to live without regrets!

I agree with this post, its what moms do. Especially as its your first time living away from home. Just call her regularly to assure her that you are fine and having the time of your life. You are just doing what most 18yr olds do, you don't have to feel guilty.

Latest posts