I found this strange...was I told the wrong thing?

darkbeauty27

I've decided to apply for MAC. It doesn't matter to me if it is in a department store or a freestanding pro store. I just want to work for MAC.
smiles.gif
So I go today and ask someone in one of the pro stores if I could fill out a job application. They asked me if I wanted to work at their store or at any counter. I told them that either one I'd like. They tell me that I would have to be a freelance artist first and then I would become a counter employee. They directed me to someone who then gave me a "freelance application" to fill out (however, the application looks like a general MAC job application and doesn't mention anything specific about whether I am applying for a freelance position or a counter position).

Is this information wrong? What if I don't want to be a freelance artist and just want to work at a MAC counter or pro store? Do you really have to be a freelance artist first before getting a job at a MAC counter or store?

Thanks!
smiles.gif

calbear

In most regions - you are not allowed to work for a MAC freestanding store without having worked at a counter....and thus you can't work at a PRO store without working at a freestanding. There are certifications that MAc artists receive during their employment that most regions require before working at a store (especially a Pro store).

For many people - the way into a permanent job with MAC is through the freelancing program. It gives the counters a chance to know you and your work ethic before hiring. Some competitive counters only hire their freelancers as they know they can 'hit the ground running' as they have worked there and know how the counter operates.

HTH

glamdoll

From what I know, you drop your resume off. But since you asked for an "application" she gave you one, which I got to fill out when I got hired for freelance.

Freelancers have priviledge in hiring when it comes to permanent jobs.

What Calbear said is accurate. You were not given the wrong information. But you said you JUST want to work for MAC. Look into the freelance.

baybehbekah

freelance is always a good way to get your foot in the door. however i was never freelance and i was hired for a 24 hour position. it really depends on your region and the personality of the manager that is hiring. but being freelance certainly isn't a bad thing and it is great experience! good luck
smiles.gif

darkbeauty27

Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to freelance, just work at a counter. I have a question about MAC counters at Nordstrom. When you work at a MAC counter there are you working for MAC or Nordstrom?

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
From what I know, you drop your resume off. But since you asked for an "application" she gave you one, which I got to fill out when I got hired for freelance.

Hmm, so I should have dropped my resume off instead of asked for an application if I just want a counter job?

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeauty27
Hmm, so I should have dropped my resume off instead of asked for an application if I just want a counter job?

Yes, just for employment in general you should drop off your resume. If you have makeup experience, retail background make sure to include that inthere.

Like it was said before, usually you freelance before getting counter work. Sometimes if they really like you and have openings they will give you counter work right of the bat. But its not a guarantee that you will get it.

If you wanna work for MAC at all I would consider freelance because its better than not being in. That way they know you, they know how you work, and when openings become available they will offer them to you.

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Yes, just for employment in general you should drop off your resume. If you have makeup experience, retail background make sure to include that inthere.

Like it was said before, usually you freelance before getting counter work. Sometimes if they really like you and have openings they will give you counter work right of the bat. But its not a guarantee that you will get it.

If you wanna work for MAC at all I would consider freelance because its better than not being in. That way they know you, they know how you work, and when openings become available they will offer them to you.

Thanks so much! That info is very helpful.
thmbup.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to freelance, just work at a counter. I have a question about MAC counters at Nordstrom. When you work at a MAC counter there are you working for MAC or Nordstrom?

you would work for nordstrom. you follow nordstrom rules, dress code, policies, etc.

Quote:

a resume is always a bonus, but you would still need to fill out an application. almost all locations in the the US require you to be freelance first. like others have said, it lets the manager know how you work with the current staff and what your skills are. some people have skills just for freelance, and wouldn't quite cut it for a permanent spot, whether it be makeup skills, customer service or selling skills. its rare for someone to walk in without being freelance first and get offered a perm. spot straight away. this usually happens when the counter is in need of a person and the freelancers don't cut it for a perm. spot.

MAC*GIRL08

Quote:

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

Yes I can say that I have never freelanced, and was offered a PT position at a MAC counter - they did have two openings and I am so thankful and blessed that I have this opportunity now. So see sometimes miracles do happen, keep your chin up and just keep trying it sure paid off for me!!!
yahoo.gif

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*GIRL08
Yes I can say that I have never freelanced, and was offered a PT position at a MAC counter - they did have two openings and I am so thankful and blessed that I have this opportunity now. So see sometimes miracles do happen, keep your chin up and just keep trying it sure paid off for me!!!
yahoo.gif

They definetly do happen. What I was trying to say, is that while it can happen, it is not the norm. But that either way to get a foot in w/ the company freelance is still good
smiles.gif

HTH

MAC*GIRL08

Oh yes I agree with that too, whatever you can do to get your foot in the door!!! I started out as a seasonal employee for Lancome (Macy's) and when I would pass by the MAC counter, hear that awesome music playing and the array of colors, scents, and brushes, with all the MA's creating their magic
- I said to myself - I'm going to work there one day! and here I am woo hoo!
yahoo.gif

panther27

When I was asked to apply at the MAC counter by the manager,she told me that I would be freelance first.hth