I got LASIK-ed!

yur_babeydoll

Wow, congrats on the great results and it's very nice to hear someones experience. I have glasses right now and love them, but I once my eyes get worse and I get older I think I will be interested in it.

ms_bloom

Re: I got LASIK-ed! (one-week update)

I had my one-week checkup today, although technically it's a 9-day checkup. I wasn't too sure how I would go as although things have been getting better daily, I had a "bad eye day" yesterday. They were just tired and achy; my left eye's bruising has nearly healed up but is still feeling a little blurry - a little like how it feels when a contact lens isn't sitting right. They were fine this morning though.

Both eyes read at 20/20 today, and together I could read the 20/15 line. Individually, the 20/20 line was a little blurry, but this is because I had put drops in just beforehand (I'd thought I'd have to wait longer to see the optometrist) which make my vision blurry for several minutes. Later on while he was doing other tests (which is better, 1 or 2?, to check on the flap healing or something) I was seeing even clearer. Everything is looking perfect except that I have a band of dryness on my left eye caused by not closing that eye completely when I sleep, which is causing the blurry feeling (along with just each eye's different healing response), so I am starting on a lubricating eye gel at night. My vision is still a bit blurry and fluctuating a little in terms of focus, but this is again within normal healing parameters.

No more antibiotic or anti-inflammatory eye drops, and no more sleeping in shields. And I can wear mascara again! Well, I could have worn it after five days but am even now a little nervous about it. Got to buy a new one and use a non-oily remover to get it off (I normally wash my eye makeup off when i cleanse).

I kinda want to get LASIK someday, but I need to work on the squeamish-ness + the "what if something goes wrong" paranoia. Congrats, though! And thanks for sharing your experience. :] It's good to know what to expect.

redambition

thanks for sharing this with us
smiles.gif

i have thought about getting it done but the idea of it still freaks me out
ssad.gif

baroquely

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been thinking about it on and off for a few years, but have always wanted someone to actually tell me what it was like. Congratulations on your new vision! Did the doctor say how long it usually takes people to be completely okay in terms of not having dry eyes and stuff?

BonnieBabe<3

Congrats! my mom had it done and said it was WELL WORTH IT.. Now its my turn but I'm such a procrastinator, and scared too lol

ms_bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquely
Thanks so much for posting this. I've been thinking about it on and off for a few years, but have always wanted someone to actually tell me what it was like. Congratulations on your new vision! Did the doctor say how long it usually takes people to be completely okay in terms of not having dry eyes and stuff?

It varies, as everyone's healing response is different, but generally things stabilise around the 3-6 month mark. I recently went in for my one-month checkup and things are looking pretty good. The dry band in my left eye has gone, but there is some healing disparity in my right eye - that eye is healing faster long ways than side ways under the flap so there is a slight "stretch" that is causing some blurriness and what feels to me like slight discomfort. The surface of my corneas look perfect still. There is still lots of healing to go and therefore more improvement to come. Vision is better than 6/6 (20/20), I could read some of the 6/5 (right) and 6/4 (left) although this isn't crystal clear, especially in my right (the weaker and yet dominant eye) - like watching CRT instead of HD-TV.

Also while I was told at my last appointment that my prescription was completely neutral, at this appointment he said I was slightly farsighted (overcorrected) but this was deliberate and exactly where they want me to be due to expected regression. I only asked because I was playing with those reading glasses while killing time at the airport earlier this week and found that the +1 glasses helped. But he said they help everyone, as +1 just magnifies things slightly (and that the natural tendency to move things closer to you to make it easier to read actually strains your eyes). But I think at my next appointment (in two months' time) I will ask for the computer-assisted refraction to see what my prescription is.