I have a request for you all :)

kristina ftw!

Hey everyone!
First, a little back story.
I'm 16 years old. I have had something called M.E. for three years now. (I suck at explaining things, but if anyone's interested, you can look it up on Wikipedia.)
I've stayed in school, but recently it's gotten to the point where I had no choice but to quit. I talked to the school about it last Thursday.
The counsellors and teachers have been talking about it all year, but I didn't want to quit unless it was absolutely nessecary.
Now, I know it was the best decision I could've possibly made, and I should've really done it a long time ago, because now I will have time to get well, and I will also have more strength and time to see my friends and boyfriend.
I'm going back next year, but that still means that I have several months now where I don't really have anything to do during the day, since all my friends will be in school (obviously.)
I can't work either (even though I want to, so bad), since I'm sick.
So, I need something to do, otherwise I'll go nuts!
This is what I have so far:

• Renovating my room - I've been wanting to do this for SO long, and now I finally have the time!
  • Learning to play the guitar and the piano better
  • Get better at makeup
  • Studying a bit, so I have a head start next year, in case I'm still sick
  • Go to the gym - I can't do cardio, for obvious reasons, but my doctor has told me I'm ready to start some strength exercises, to rebuild my body.
  • HANG OUT AT SPECKTRA, WAHOO!
Aaaand that's pretty much it so far.
I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any ideas as to what hobbies or projects I can take on so I don't bore myself to death these months?

Thanks ladies :*

Edit: Here's the Wikipedia link! Chronic fatigue syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

breechan

Hi there. I looked up M.E. on wikipedia, and nothing came up.
th_dunno.gif

Anyways, as boring as it may seem, these are my suggestions.

Do at least an hour a day of studying. Specifically set aside a specific hour for it each day, say 10-11am or 2-3pm. I'm sure you can get a hold of the textbooks and books needed for school. Just think, if you read over the stuff and get a basic grasp of it, you will be miles ahead when you are back at school, and it will reduce your workload greatly. The less stress you have, the faster you will get better (I think, since I don't know your illness).

or... If you have an idea about the kind of things you want to study in university or college, then why not pick up some books on those topics. It may help you to decide, and will take pressure off later when you have to make those decisions.

or... Learn how to cook nutritiously. When you go off to live on your own in the next few years, it will be an important skill. I always thought I was a good cook...until I moved out...and gained 8 pounds.

or...Learn a foreign language. The more languages you know, the more doors will open for you. There are countless free online resources these days.

or...yoga and stretching. Both are so beneficial to one's health and wellbeing.

Thats all for now.
th_DANCE.gif

kristina ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
Hi there. I looked up M.E. on wikipedia, and nothing came up.
th_dunno.gif

Anyways, as boring as it may seem, these are my suggestions.

Do at least an hour a day of studying. Specifically set aside a specific hour for it each day, say 10-11am or 2-3pm. I'm sure you can get a hold of the textbooks and books needed for school. Just think, if you read over the stuff and get a basic grasp of it, you will be miles ahead when you are back at school, and it will reduce your workload greatly. The less stress you have, the faster you will get better (I think, since I don't know your illness).

or... If you have an idea about the kind of things you want to study in university or college, then why not pick up some books on those topics. It may help you to decide, and will take pressure off later when you have to make those decisions.

or... Learn how to cook nutritiously. When you go off to live on your own in the next few years, it will be an important skill. I always thought I was a good cook...until I moved out...and gained 8 pounds.

or...Learn a foreign language. The more languages you know, the more doors will open for you. There are countless free online resources these days.

or...yoga and stretching. Both are so beneficial to one's health and wellbeing.

Thats all for now.
th_DANCE.gif

Hey! I added the wikipedia link to my post
smiles.gif

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
I have all the books I need, we had to buy them at the beginning of the school year! So I'm already studying, and will continue doing so
smiles.gif
You're right about the less stress = less sickness thing!
I'm also learning Spanish! I had that as a subject in school, and I plan on taking it up again next year
smiles.gif

The cooking is a great idea! I LOVE cooking and food, so I will definitely start doing that more.

Hilly

How about learning a new craft....sewing, knitting, painting?

Or playing an instrument.

gigglegirl

^the crafty type thing is what I would do.
Plus I would continue studying school stuff
Learn a new language
Teach myself how to draw!

ilorietta

Are you interested in photography? I love it and it's very interesting and time consuming! It's so hard to get a good shot without photoshop

Krasevayadancer

Reading books and getting into movies can be a fun way to get cultured while you are out of commission
smiles.gif
Get well soon!

pumpkincat210

I've had a minor form of CFS since I was in 9th grade after a bout with mono. I haven't ever felt the same since, I'm so tired and can't think alot like i used to be able to. I've had some luck with the drug Provigil, it keeps me awake and alert. Unfortunately i can't take it everyday since it lasts so long in me and i stay awake too long. But I know how you feel totally, i nearly didn't make it through my senior year because i always had to sleep and i felt like crap.
Makeup is the one thing i always come back too. I'd learn even more about makeup if I were you, it's fun and I can always forget my problems when I'm looking at fun colors, ah color therapy. I think you have a good list though, just don't overwhelm yourself.
I am considering having my HGH levels checked too, which i've heard is wonderful, but has risks as everything does. I feel better than i did, still not perfect though, time helps alot.

user68

Aside from studying, maybe read a few fiction books? Stock up on some DVD's? Listen to music or play videogames? It depends on what you like to do for fun but don’t normally have time for.

Don’t forget to relax! Get well soon
smiles.gif

Simply Elegant

Definitely keep up with some studying and I'd probably do something like pilates to tone up a bit. I love sewing so if you bought some patterns you could make some clothes out of it and I agree about photography too.

AmberLilith

This is a good list for me to crontribut to... i've bene in a similar situation as i've been off work for six months with depression, which makes me tired n lacking in motivation. Obviously very different to having ME, what i'm getting at is that i've had time on my hands and been looking for things to try to occupy myself (in my case, to 'make' me do something productive).

Some brilliant suggestions so far...

Here's my few additions:
-Make time to see friends/keep in touch with people -invite them round for coffee n kick them out after an hour if you get too tired.
-Find a creative outlet -paint, draw, learn to knit, make cards, start a scrapbook, take up photography, make jewellery, dressmaking --something you can get interested in n enjoy.
-Was going suggest learning a language too
smiles.gif
And learning an instrument.
-Try out some new music -download or get people to lend you new stuff. Maybe write quick reviews of it on Amazon.
-Likewise for books n films. If you enjoy/hate something, tell the world in a review!
-Build a website/ learn something like Dreamweaver.... don't know why... you could have a site for makeup pics or something? It's something to do n learn anyway.
-Read a book you've always wanted to read -you've got the perfect opportunity at the moment.
-Watch a film you've always wanted to see.
-I'd agree with studying a bit...
-Make over all your friends n family.
-Try out themed or theatrical makeup. [Post pics here and we will all say 'ooh, pretty!!']

K, that's my list for now.
HTH and hope you're doing as well as can be..
*hugs*

mollythedolly

-learn to cook
-sew/knit
-make a blog
-become a youtuber
-continue studying
-learn a new language
-get organized

Pnk85

You could do volunteer work, a lot of children's hospitals like for young adults to go and visit with the young kids to lift their spirits. You would do things like read them books, play video games with them, or just sit there and keep them company while the two of you watch television.

Sushi.

here are a few things to try
greengrin.gif

- knitting
- follow a tv series (i watch nip/tuck, prison break, and the Iron Chef :p)
- start cooking and baking, fun new dishes and treats, if you find you really like this and are baking all the time, bake some treats and give them to friends and family as gifts. You can get cute little tins and stuff to put them in and people ALWAYS love it.
smiles.gif

- sewing
- craft making, sites like Craftster Community - Index have alot of great craft tutorials that can be alot of fun.
- take an online, or correspondece course/program. Im doing highschool courses through Alberta Distance Learning Centre ~ Success for Every Student - Welcome to the Alberta Distance Learning Centre right now
- start making a wish/want list, and keep track of all your goals.
- keep a personal website (blog, photos, etc.)
- join more online forums, i am personally apart of quite a few, one dedicated to hair, another dedicated to crafts, etc.
- of course practise makeup
smiles.gif

- practise hair styles, if you have long hair, try doing different updos.

V15U4L_3RR0R

Take up something new that you never used to have time for like a language or a craft.

Do something that you would never normally do.

Do one thing that scares you every day.

Latest posts