I Have Never Owned MAC....where to start?

misshapes

Okay. Here begins my credit card decline.

I don't own MAC products. I'm planning to start buying something. My friend is offering to purchase some MU from Hong Kong for me! She's awesome! I think MAC is cheaper in HK than it is here in Australia.

I would like some neutral eyeshadows. I like earthy colours-warm browns/peaches/plums. I like metallics too.

Here's a few things I was thinking of:
-Amber Lights
-Espresso
-Satin Taupe
-Humid/eyepopping
-Goldmine
-Blackberry or Cranberry

I know I should to to MAC and try them out but I really don't have the time to. I'm currently looking at all the colours on the MAC site.

I'm fair-ish. Black hair. Typical asian features I guess.
If it helps at all, here's a photo of me: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...croppedpic.jpg

Any suggestions? I'm all ears!

ps. I wonder if they have Urban Decay stuff in HK. Anyone know?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
smiles.gif

makeba

I would really recommend you go to the mac store so that way you will know what works for you. the website shows the colors of the products but sometimes when you get the product in hand it looks a bit different. check out some of the photos of the girls on the site and that would help you out too like snowkei(?) for instance. the colors your interested in are nice colors to begin with and to build around. look into the paints as well because they help with color intensity. painterly paint pot would be a good start as a base. Have fun!!!!!

blindpassion

I'd definitely try and find time to go to the store instead of online, usually I find I'll make a big list of things that I think I want from Specktra or Mac Online and then Ill go into the store and endup getting something totally different, it's really hard to tell what it really looks like or how it applys if you're getting it online. Also, the MA's are super helpful... so they will match things to your skin tone for you.

Hope this somewhat helps.
smiles.gif

thelove4tequila

The poster above is right. MAC's site doesn't give good color pictures of their products AT ALL, sometimes they look nothing like they do in real life. Look for colors here or makeupalley.com. The colors you have selected are really nice ones. you picked some of my faves. For a highlighter I would definantly go with Ricepaper. I love that color! For plums, I really like Sketch.

Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of Blackberry.

blindpassion

I havent heard of blackberry either.
Shroom and Naked lunch are really good colors to begin with as well... they are really generically liked colors. But the poster above is right, the colors on the website look NOTHING like real life. I was looking at one of the colors I own on the mac website the other day, and even the way they described it didnt make sense to me... it was like they were talking about a totally different color...

La Ilusion

Hi, misshapes. I agree with the above posters. Looking at shadows at the store first is always the best idea. But maybe I can give you a little help with some of the descriptions for the colors you mentioned in your post.

Humid -- I have this one, and I think the pic on the site is less vivid than the shadow is in person, but the frost looks just about the same. It has nice depth but is still colorful and vivid.

Goldmine -- I have this one, too. The description on the site is accurate, but the picture is lighter than the actual shadow.

Cranberry -- I seem to remember this one being a little brighter in person than in the pic. I always think of it kind of as a pinky-red version of Humid.

Does anyone else have or know well the other colors and can describe how they differ in person from the pics on the site?

*BTW, Blackberry is a matte shadow. On the site it looks like a muted brownish purple. (They describe it as "Muted burgundy-plum brown.")

StArCaNdY

I'm more or less your skin tone and I would recommend for you to get Amber Lights, Satin Taupe, Tempting, Antiqued,Greensmoke, and Margin blush.I love all of these..but of course it's better for you to try them on yourself.
smiles.gif

LindseySullivan

My only suggestion is to find the time to go to a MAC store/counter. Have a makeup artist pick some colors that will look awesome on you. That's easier than picking random colors out from a computer that may or may not look the same when they arrive.

Often, you can do a daytime look and change it to a nighttime look just by adding one extra shadow and lip color. Cheaper than completely different looks. have the MA recommend easy change colors like this.

You should also get the basics for a smokey eye - so simple and always looks great!

They have brush sets occasionally - cheap start vs getting the brushes individually all at once - although the quality is not nearly the same.