I have some questions about MAC.

Another Janice!

I need help. Lol.

I am planning a trip to my MAC counter in the very near future. I need to know a few things.

First off.. With the exception of the obvious, what is the difference between the pigments and eyeshadows? Are pigments bolder? Look different? More versatile?

Secondly...I see quite a few pics with the eyes lined with color. Not with a colored eyeliner, but with pigments. How is this done? With a brush? What sort of brush? How does it stay on? Do I need something special? Is it applied over regular eyeliner?

I hear (see) a lot of talk about eye primers. Does this stuff really work? What are some good ones?

I am going to get some pigment samples from ebay until I figure out what works for me. Based on my picture, what color groups do you think I should try?

Please forgive my hair. It is curly and humidity is at about 1000% today. It got put in a bun. lol. Yes, I know one eye is bigger than the other. If you have any ideas to fix that, let me know...lol.

No makeup. Washed and moisturized. Scary.

IMG_0145.jpg

danabanayna

Pigments are more versatile...most can be used for eyes (wet or dry), face, cheeks, lipgloss (mix with clear gloss), nailpolish (mix with clear nail polish).

Definitely use a brush..there are several available...I like the MAC 212.

I like to use a primer...Urban Decay has a good one and MAC Bare Canvas Paint works well too.

I hope this helps...have fun!

saraa_b

I just recently started using pigments and I'm addicted! You should for sure try them the next time you go to MAC!!

hypergrl273

You can use brushes like the 208 and 266 to line the eyes with pigments (make sure they're eye safe) and e/s. And i wouldn't suggest ebay for pigment samples, so check out the clearance bin section of the forums and i'm sure someone will have some you can buy at a good price! hth

Kristen

Pigments are more versatile than eyeshadow as they are multi use. You can use it on lips, face, eyes, body and nails (depending on whether it's safety rating). You get more bang for your buck in that sense. Typically they are more vibrant than eyeshadows. However, some pigments have a lot of talc in them.. making them less vibrant. Like eyeshadows they come in different formulas as well (regular, fine, chunky, metallic..)

For lining with pigments, you can do it a few ways. You can make your own liner by mixing it with mixing medium or visine. Using an angled brush (or your fav liner brush) it applies just like anything else. Or you can use them dry and just pack it on like a shadow. I like to use my 228 and just sort of 'stipple' it on underneath my lower lashes. Keep in mind that it's loose.. so if you load your brush up too much you'll make a bit of a mess under your eyes.

Eye primers are fun. So far I have dabbled in paints and shadesticks from MAC.
Paints dry quickly after application. A layer of paint is pretty unbudgeable. It really extends the life of your shadow. They come in colours that are pretty 'natural'. Try to find a colour that matches your skintone as just an every day base.
Shadesticks stay moist longer than paints. It provides a tacky surface to apply shadow on. I would highly recommend them if you're using shadows that have a tendency towards fall out (lustre shadows or chunky pigments). It's available in a wider variety of colours than paint.. so you can find one in the same tones of eyeshadow you use to punch up the colour.
Personally, I prefer shadesticks.. but perhaps that's because I haven't found a paint that is similar enough to my skintone

Rockell

Pigments are loose and are much more concentrated in color than the e/s. One thing about pigments, though, is that there's nothing in them to bind them to your skin (like e/s have) so you have to mix them with something or put them over a primer. (MAC's are better about this, though, than many brands. I can usually use them alone on my cheeks, but I never do on my eyes). I spray Fix+ on the back of my hand and mix them into it. Honestly, I am more in pigments right now than e/s because you can be so much more creative with them. You can use them anywhere on your face, mix them with pre-existing products, etc.

Primer helps alot, especially if you have oily lids. Since you said you live in a humid environment, I would say you definitely need a primer!

With your coloring, you can wear many shades! Mine is about opposite of yours (hah) so I won't recommend anything, but just go to the counter and play!!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Janice!
I need help. Lol.

I am planning a trip to my MAC counter in the very near future. I need to know a few things.

First off.. With the exception of the obvious, what is the difference between the pigments and eyeshadows? Are pigments bolder? Look different? More versatile?

You may want to read up the Specktra Pigment FAQ:
http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=25416

Quote:

Secondly...I see quite a few pics with the eyes lined with color. Not with a colored eyeliner, but with pigments. How is this done? With a brush? What sort of brush? How does it stay on? Do I need something special? Is it applied over regular eyeliner?

Usually done with a brush, you can buy special eyeliner mixing medium at the pro store to be used especially with the pigments. However, you can get a similar effect by using a thin angle brush and using the pigment with a bit of water to get it into a liquid form.

Quote:

I hear (see) a lot of talk about eye primers. Does this stuff really work? What are some good ones?

Check this thread for talk about the best eye primers.
http://www.specktra.net/showthread.p...ht=primer+base

maxcat

I'd reccomend you start out with a nice light piggie that you'll get some use out of - and then decide if you want more of them. Something like Naked or the new Shimmertime. They're more than you'll ever ever need - so good bang for the buck but make sure you're in love with the color. I tend to look at my less than neutral ones, like Golden Olive, and go "WHY???" because I liked the color but have barely dented the thing in three years.