i just need to VENT!!!!

queenofdisaster

i haven't been on specktra much lately. it used to be my home away from home, but now i just don't have the time. sadly, i'm to the point where i'm not even caring too much for makeup at all period. i just don't have the time, energy or especially, money.
ssad.gif

as some may know, i started training for my home daycare in april. well, it took me until august 1st to finally open up. i am allowed to have 6 children including my own, 2 of which can be infants. i enrolled a 15 month old and have been caring for him for the last 2 weeks. he, as well as my 9 month old son are my 2 infants. so now i have 3 openings for ages 2 and up.

the thing that is irritating, is that after this month is up, i will have made about $700 for this one little boy. but yet my family is still completely broke. i just don't get it. we try so hard not to get behind on bills. i go on no buys where i don't shop for weeks, and yet we still end up with return check fees, etc. i just don't know what to do anymore.

i was so excited yesterday because i had an interview with a family with 2 boys. it was much needed income, and no i'm not just in this for the money, i LOVE doing it. i have always wanted a career in child development, whether it be teaching, childcare, etc. and i think i am very good at it. anyway, the family has decided to go with a different provider, because they "have more experience, and a better pre-school set up". which i completely understand. my setting is age-appropriate for the children i have. my son is 9 months old and my daughter is 2 1/2 years old. the boy i care for is 15 months old. so i'm not doing much pre-school focused stuff yet, except for with my daughter.

the thing that really bothers me is that when i get parents who need care, they tend to think that because i just started that i am not experienced enough for them. i have studied this all through high school and even some in college. not to mention years of volunteer work and i even got a paid job one year being a classroom leader of a summer school reading program. my students left me after 4 weeks, and had LEARNED to read. i take my job seriously and i am dedicated. i really am, so it frustrates me when people think i am too young to be doing what i'm doing. (i'm almost 21 BTW). PLUS, i have 2 children. so :confused: i don't understand!!!

i had a parent call me the other day completely questioning me and making me feel so pathetic. she asked my age, experience, etc. and made the most disgusted "ugh" noise and said she'd get back to me. she of course didn't. i am sick of being undermined because of how old i am. this is my job, too. people don't understand that. anywho, needless to say, i think business is going to be slow. i have only been open for 2 weeks, so i'm not jumping to any conclusions, but i am not going to look forward to anything until contracts are SIGNED.

things are going great with the little one i'm caring for now. his mom and i have made friends and all. so i can only hope for more like her. the funny thing is i get at least 2 calls a day for infant care, and i'm not able to accept any more infants. funny how that works, right?!

to make matters worse in life in general, my son has been terribly sick.

he broke a 104 degree fever friday, had to go to urgent care at 2:30 am, in which they did routine exam and found nothing. this is a military hospital mind you and they hand out motrin like it's a miracle cure all. i knew there was something wrong with my son! i was so mad! they did some pretty horrible "exams" and probably just ended up putting him in more pain so we had no other options so we were just like who cares if our insurance won't cover it, we are taking him to an ER out in town. so we took him the next day and within 2 minutes they found an inner ear infection. so they prescribed him amoxicillin. all i kept thinking was "i hope he's not allergic to it."

this was saturday. come monday afternoon, his fever dissapears. and he breaks out in a horrible rash, that started on his chest then spread up his neck, on his face and then down and onto the rest of his body by tuesday morning.

oh no, he's allergic to the amoxicillin, right? but he's not acting like anything's bothering him. he hasn't acted any different AT ALL, even with the fever. he's been eating normal, playing normal, drinking normal, he's himself. so i'm worried. i couldn't leave b/c i had my daycare child, so my husband took him back to the hospital yesterday. they gave him benadryl and a different antibiotic because his ear infection hadn't gotten any better (and they apologized for not finding it in the first place). well the benadryl didn't do anything. so the parent i interviewed yesterday (the one that DECLINED ME! lol) is a pediatrician. she said that he has ROSEOLA. so he may or may not be allergic to the amoxicillin, but it's better safe than sorry and to just stay away from it. plus, it wasn't working anyway. so now we know what's wrong with him. roseola is harmless so that's good.

but we still don't know where this mystery ear infection came from. and to top it all off, the roseola and the antibiotic are causing him horrible diarrhea and he has developed a really bad diaper rash. i have been bathing him like 2x a day and changing him constantly and slathering on the ointments. this is the only thing throughout this whole ordeal that has caused him any type of pain. i feel so bad, he is so tough, but now his little bum is on fire. my poor baby!!!!!

so i knew this was the perfect place to vent. i feel that if i can get all this out and share what i am going through that maybe it will lift some weight off of my chest and make me feel better about life in general. i know things will be OK soon, but it just is taking FOREVER.

sexypuma

I really hope that things get better for you guys
th_cheerup.gif

Any time you need it, please don't hesitate to share with us.

Another Janice!

Damn chicky...I wish you lived closer. I have no one to watch my rugrats...other than my mom who also works. And my husband of course...who also works.
I have issues finding ppl I trust taking care of my kids. I want to go to school, pick up extra shifts, run errands...etc sometimes, but as you know, these things take forever/impossible toting little ones around.

Get stationed to Scott AFB and I will be your best client!

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Janice!
Damn chicky...I wish you lived closer. I have no one to watch my rugrats...other than my mom who also works. And my husband of course...who also works.
I have issues finding ppl I trust taking care of my kids. I want to go to school, pick up extra shifts, run errands...etc sometimes, but as you know, these things take forever/impossible toting little ones around.

Get stationed to Scott AFB and I will be your best client!

THAT would be awesome wouldn't it?
lmao.gif
i'm so freaking stressed!

Beauty Mark

Would younger mothers be more receptive to you?

I know it sucks and is hard now, but most new businesses take a bit to get started. The only ones I know of that had immediate success are by people who were already established somehow (had a famous chef, part of a chain, already owned several other businesses). I would also encourage people to actually meet you, check out your setup, etc. If it's possible, you should see if any of the people you worked for would be willing to speak with any concerned parents or write testimonials or something.

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Would younger mothers be more receptive to you?

I know it sucks and is hard now, but most new businesses take a bit to get started. The only ones I know of that had immediate success are by people who were already established somehow (had a famous chef, part of a chain, already owned several other businesses). I would also encourage people to actually meet you, check out your setup, etc. If it's possible, you should see if any of the people you worked for would be willing to speak with any concerned parents or write testimonials or something.

well, it's a military childcare home. so there are a lot of other navy wives that have them, too and they have been doing it for awhile so there's lots to choose from for parents. i think younger mothers would be more receptive, though. i know the summertime is slow anyway so i do need to be more patient.
rofl.gif

and i do interviews so that the parents can meet me, and i explain my schedule, meals, etc. i think i need to get a bit more established, though. a downside is that my house is away from the main section of base housing so i think it kind of intimidates people. i live in the boondocks of the base as we like to call it. it used to be officers quarters so it's kinda private and quiet out here... lol

jilliandanica

I think business and life for that matter is just really hard in general these days. Hopefully things will pick up soon. You'll get through this...chin up!

Latest posts