I love Make-Up and I love swimming, ergo the consequence...

eulchen

Hello fellow lovers of make-up. Just wanted to share something and hear whatever you think about it. All with a big, huge, fat
winks.gif
, of course.

I started swimming just a few months ago (getting over a trauma I had when I was 13: I drowned in a deep pool, so I never ever got into any water that was deeper than my waist) but now I go swimming twice a week and I love it. Now today I had my first encounter with a type of swimmer a friend of me, who swims competitively, told me about back then, urging me to never be such a person, because well... they make fun out of those. Back then I thought he was kidding me and no such women would exist anywhere.

So what did this girl do? She swam in full make-up and jewellery. And I mean this kind of dinner make up (smokey eyes, not overdone, really beautiful but really red lips) and like inch-long earrings. Now I do love make-up and I understand your point in always wanting to look best... But seriously... Why in the world would I leave on make-up before I went into a pool? Being it a competitively pool there was no chance she was there to enjoy her time in some kind of spa or something. She just swam her laps (breast stroke) holding her head up really high trying to not get ANY water on it. She was in a f*cking pool and tried to not get any water in her face! Consider how perplexed I was regarding the obscurity and hilariousness of it. She looked like shed have a major neck ache after swimming. And I admit to have giggled several times when a obviously very good swimmer joined her lap and started butterfly and crawl next to her...making a lot of water splash.

Now for you, the discussion question:

Is this girl absolutely right to look kinda awkward but fully made up while swimming, as the rule "never leave your house without make up on" includes entering any form of watery environment outside your house? Do I raise my chances of meeting a man at the pool with make-up, or: Is the reason why I am swimming without make-up the ultimate reason for me still being single? Is there swimming pool-safe make-up? Did I get much bad karma for laughing at the hilariousness of it?

And last but not least: Do you wear make-up when you´re swimming?

th_wink3.gif

Septemba

LOL. Congrats on getting over your phobia btw, that's rad!

Weirdness... if it's not a spa that is very confusing! Other people probably noticed too. Jeez, I'd have laughed. I guess if you have waterproof gear on then it makes no dif but hmmm...! Was she wearing killer heels too?

No, I don't swim/shower/bathe with a full face.

Ziya

yah congrats hun! thats very brave of you!! (hugs)
So funny that you should bring this up now, I've been on holiday this week from work but I did work on Tuesday..I work in a daycare and I totally forgot to check the schedule and it ended up being a huge feild trip to Watermania that day!!
ssad.gif
I spent an hour in the morning doing holiday themed makeup and falsies and everything!! I ended up taking off the lashes and eyeshadow to swim...My face (foundation blush etc) pretty much melted off by the time we got outta the pool.
It sucks when you have somewhere to go after the pool...who wants to carry around all that m/u?
winks.gif

lara

If you're that locked to your complete make-up routine that you can't go bare-faced in the pool or at the gym, then you seriously need to step back and take a look as to why you're wearing make-up in those situations.

There's a huge difference between wearing waterproof Dermablend because you have concerns about exposing bad scarring, port wine birthmarks etc etc etc and being convinced that a full face of black tie event make-up is suitable to swim laps in. You wear the make-up, the make-up shouldn't wear you.

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
If you're that locked to your complete make-up routine that you can't go bare-faced in the pool or at the gym, then you seriously need to step back and take a look as to why you're wearing make-up in those situations.

There's a huge difference between wearing waterproof Dermablend because you have concerns about exposing bad scarring, port wine birthmarks etc etc etc and being convinced that a full face of black tie event make-up is suitable to swim laps in. You wear the make-up, the make-up shouldn't wear you.

That is exactly what I was thinking. My mom had horrible radiation scars on her face and wouldn't leave the house without full makeup.. but why the lipstick and earrings when swimming? So I am thinking that couldn't be the reason for the makeup. It's just plain silly!

anita22

Hmm.. I must admit I have worn makeup swimming on the odd occasion, but that's mainly because I don't put my head under anyway (as the chlorine really dries out my hair). I'm not much of a swimmer, so usually if I go I just hop in and spash around to cool off, or occasionally I aquajog - I definitely wouldn't be swimming laps with makeup on. If I were wearing heavy makeup I'd definitely take it off though - firstly because I'd feel silly, and secondly because it's pretty likely to get ruined as soon as you get splashed in the face!

gigiopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulchen
Is the reason why I am swimming without make-up the ultimate reason for me still being single?

If a man rejects you because you're not wearing smokey eyes and red lips to a freaking competitive pool, you can tell him to eff himself. I'd much rather a man be attracted to me for my competence at swimming as opposed to my perfect-looking face. I don't think anyone could take someone seriously like that...

TISH1124

Wow! and No....
I have just never thought about swimming in a full face of makeup unless I was pushed in and had to swim my way out....I think most men want to know exactly what a woman will look like after all the layers come off. They want to know when they wake up in the morning they will not look over and see a woman they don't recognize or even like looking at for that matter.
I know I look better with m/u but my dh prefers me without and the funny thing is I get hit on just as often when I wear a headband and go bare faced as I do when I wear a full face of makeup.. Quality men look for more in a woman than just a pretty face...Looks fade over time, Personality lasts a lifetime.
If I was a man and I saw a woman swimming with a full face of makeup...after I stopped laughing...I would think to myself what a superficial DIVA...But thats just IMO only....

autumnschild

that is so silly! haha. i would never go swimming without makeup cos i can imagine it just like clogging all my pores and shit mixing with the bacteria in the water etc etc. ew

eulchen

thanks for your reply girls... as i said before, my friend is a guy who makes fun of those with his swimmer colleagues, i just wanted to share with you make up maniacs. very entertaining reads
choochoo.gif

thanks, septemba and ziya, it feels good to be able to do it. i really enjoy it!
yes.gif
no killer heels though. i cant even remember if she was one of the cute girls wearing a small bikini (something else i could never think of going swimming in, as im too dumb and would be fully exposed in like... two strokes.) or wearing a suit. but really... the killer heels... that would have made it.
th_LMAO.gif

@gigiopolis: i was totally not serious. im way too lazy to put on make up all the time, so a guy who prefers me in makeup so would not have a chance with me anyways... i dont know if shes hoping to find a guy attracted to her by doing it though. if so, thatd be sad...

and TISH, youre so right about what a man would think. i mean, what else could there be left for explanation? (she didnt seem to have a bad complexion or scarred skin or something)
winkiss.gif

and laras right, as always.
winkiss.gif

Penn

I've gone swimming with make up on but that's usually because I'm already out doing something so I have my make up on and is too lazy too take it off when I go swim. That being said, I've never worn a full face swimming because I usually just wear waterproof eyeliner and that is it.
ETA why does anyone need any explanation or justification to do what would make her feel comfortable?

rbella

Depends. If she just got off of work or something. In actuality, she may be more addicted to working out than her makeup. So much so that she works out without regard to anything else. In other words, she doesn't give 2 shits what people think of her as long as she's exercising.

On the other hand, I will have to admit that it is quite odd. And, if she is trying to gain a man's attention, that's the wrong way to do it. Seems they would be more impressed with a "real" girl who doesn't care what she looks like when working out. But, once again, that is going on the assumption that is why she is wearing the makeup, when we really don't have any idea.

BTW, congrats on getting over your phobia. My hat's off to you!!

TISH1124

You said Inch long earrings...too funny...I would be too afraid of loosing my earrings....Although, I never take my wedding ring off unless I am cleaning it...

Beauty Mark

That sounds really unhealthy for her neck. I understand not wanting to look bad, but you're exercising. Why not concentrate on that instead of keeping your face dry?

I don't know what would possess someone to take that much care of their makeup when exercising. I've been known to show up to dance classes with a full face, but I also just came from work/school and I don't put a lot of effort into keeping my face immaculate.

darkishstar

MAYBE she just want to exercise right before some sort of social function. So she just.. swam with her make-up and jewelry on?
lol.gif

I hope you guys can tell I'm totally kidding there.

lukinamama

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
MAYBE she just want to exercise right before some sort of social function. So she just.. swam with her make-up and jewelry on?
lol.gif

I hope you guys can tell I'm totally kidding there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Or practicing for America's Next Top Model auditions....

lol.gif

Karen_B

It seems she should choose another form of exercise for herself, if she's not just there to relax and enjoy the water (which it seems she is unable to, since she has to mind her makeup the whole time). That way she is swimming can't be very effective if she wants to get stronger or increase endurance. And, it must be bad for her neck.

snowflakelashes

Hey Honestly I think it's a bit extreme. If you have something to do after that requires you to be done up after working out then you need to time it so you have time to get ready. Honestly I even hate swim caps but THAT I could undersatnd because doing hair is a PITA, and chlorine does horrible horrible things to hair!... but honestly you can do a quick makeup look if you have to.

In this situation her makeup sounds totally out of place...

That said somethings I go to the gym slightly glammed up with FULL knowledge that I am going to look like crap after but my lazy self is just TOO lazy to go through the pain of removing makeup between work and when I get there.

So who knows where her headspace is at, the only makeup I think about when I am working out is the makeup I am going to buy... "If you can just make it through two more workouts this week, I promise I will buy me that eye shadow I've been wanting...but only if I don't quit now.." yes.. I am not above bribing myself to get results ~L~