I need help finding a good red hair dye!

pink_lily002

About two, maybe three, weeks ago, while visiting my sister in Seattle, she did my hair the way I've been dying to have it for years (she's a hair stylist). The red dye she used look GREAT for about the first week, but then it faded very quickly and is now a very orange coppery color. While it's not awful, it's too brassy for my liking, and the tips of the highlights are turning a very ugly color of Halloween orange. Originally the color was a vibrant wine/burgundy color. My sister told me that I could purchase the same dye and developer that she used at Cosmo Prof, but unfortunately, I'm not a hair stylist and can't purchase that stuff at that store, since you need a card to make purchases there. Sally's doesn't have the brand that she used (it was a L'Oreal color), and since I don't know all about the formulas of different brands, I'm now coming to you guys for some help!

What's a good dye to use for touch-ups? Pictures are below for reference. I was thinking perhaps a Manic Panic-type dye? I'd prefer non-box dye, i.e. not Feria or anything like that. I always get reamed out by stylists for using that stuff.

Thank you in advance for any help!

101608014.jpg

101608015.jpg

DSCN0583.jpg

Mabelle

id suggest looking into special effects dyes. theyre vegetable based. easy to use. and last a while.

Mabelle

id suggest looking into special effects dyes. theyre vegetable based. easy to use. and last a while.

Dizzy

Thirding Special FX. Then try to get a color depositing conditioner to keep the red vibrant- they won't take the place of dye, but since red is the hardest dye to keep in your hair it'll help the color keep for a little bit longer.

I think Matrix has one and I know Aveda has one, but the Aveda one is a henna-based conditioner so I'm not sure how that would work for chemically dyed hair. Try to find the Matrix one, I've never dyed my hair red (I'm a natural redhead) but the other two I've tried were awesome.

Shimmer

I use a box dye. Last time I let a stylist do my red it turned out all kinds of wonky and not great.
ssad.gif

Brie

I use box dye, I have only ever been to an actual hairdresser once in my life and i was scarred, LOL!!! (But my mum's an ex hairdresser so there is no need). Sometimes I get the tint and do it that way but thats rare. Oh and another reason I don't go to the hair dresser is the fact that I couldn't possibly afford to go as often as I need to with the red hair. The upkeep in my opinion is far grater than when i was bonde.

I use Schwarzkopf, I personally think they make the best reds.

But ALL reds will fade fast, they always do. You have to make sure you are using a colour protection shampoo and Conditioner at least (or one just for red hair), You can buy colour protection hairspray. Oh and only wash your hair as often as you need to I only do mine max 2 times a week. I find if I blowdry my hair after I wash it it gives me a few extra days.

pink_lily002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
I use box dye, I have only ever been to an actual hairdresser once in my life and i was scarred, LOL!!! (But my mum's an ex hairdresser so there is no need). Sometimes I get the tint and do it that way but thats rare. Oh and another reason I don't go to the hair dresser is the fact that I couldn't possibly afford to go as often as I need to with the red hair. The upkeep in my opinion is far grater than when i was bonde.

I use Schwarzkopf, I personally think they make the best reds.

But ALL reds will fade fast, they always do. You have to make sure you are using a colour protection shampoo and Conditioner at least (or one just for red hair), You can buy colour protection hairspray. Oh and only wash your hair as often as you need to I only do mine max 2 times a week. I find if I blowdry my hair after I wash it it gives me a few extra days.

My sister the hairdresser.......bless her heart.....she only bleaches her hair, so she didn't have any color protecting styling products when I visited her. I'm sure that's a big part of the reason as to why it faded so ridiculously fast. Since getting home, I've found that it's taken a bit to turn on the orange side, but I've been washing my hair less frequently and finally have my color protector products too. I've used reds in my hair before, so I was not surprised about the fading....more surprised at how fast it happened and my lack of being able to find a suitable replacement to spruce the color up until I need the roots touched-up. I can do the color myself, but the roots will need my stylist's love!

Quote:
L´oreal Majirouge.. It´s red. And I want it out ASAP
thmbdn.gif

Awwwww, I'm sorry! Wash your hair frequently with hot water. That's how I made colors fade for me when I was younger!

_Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_lily002
My sister the hairdresser.......bless her heart.....she only bleaches her hair, so she didn't have any color protecting styling products when I visited her. I'm sure that's a big part of the reason as to why it faded so ridiculously fast. Since getting home, I've found that it's taken a bit to turn on the orange side, but I've been washing my hair less frequently and finally have my color protector products too. I've used reds in my hair before, so I was not surprised about the fading....more surprised at how fast it happened and my lack of being able to find a suitable replacement to spruce the color up until I need the roots touched-up. I can do the color myself, but the roots will need my stylist's love!

Awwwww, I'm sorry! Wash your hair frequently with hot water. That's how I made colors fade for me when I was younger!

Thanks!
luckily my hairdresser offered to fix it for me.. Damn I´ve been red, but this is really really RED
girl_devil.gif

crista_fay

My hair color looks very close to yours, my natural color is light brown. I use Loreal Paris's Feria in Crushed Garnet. I love love love it! It's redder than it shows on the box but I also leave it in my hair 5 minutes less than it says to. It makes it very shiny and multi toned which I love and I haven't had any trouble with it fading! I touch it up every 5 weeks or so. My hair stylist can't believe I use boxed color! lol I get compliments like CRAZY!
You should try it
winkiss.gif

pink_lily002

Quote:
Originally Posted by crista_fay
My hair color looks very close to yours, my natural color is light brown. I use Loreal Paris's Feria in Crushed Garnet. I love love love it! It's redder than it shows on the box but I also leave it in my hair 5 minutes less than it says to. It makes it very shiny and multi toned which I love and I haven't had any trouble with it fading! I touch it up every 5 weeks or so. My hair stylist can't believe I use boxed color! lol I get compliments like CRAZY!
You should try it
winkiss.gif

Thanks! However, I ended up having to dye over the highlights - the cost for a touch-up (just bleach) was ridiculous, and I'm also now seriously job-hunting, so away the cute hair went! I used Feria Mega-Browns from Sally Beauty. It gave me the same quality as the box kit from the drugstore, and it's right around the same price. So now I have dark brown hair with slight-coppery highlights, and I get more compliments than I did before!

Latest posts