I need help from MSI (Make up Scene Investigation) – Possible Fake?

Darkness

Hi Folks,

Can anyone help me with this eye shadow, please?
SOS.gif
I purchased it from evilBay just recently and I have a sneaky feeling it might be a fake.
th_dunno.gif
I’ve wanted this one for a while and the trusty sellers I usually buy from didn’t have this one, so silly me took a gamble.

I have compared it to Smoke & Diamonds, which is authentic as I purchased it from the Mac store when the ‘Love That Look’ collection came out.

I noticed the sticker on Mystical Mist is darker, the font on the front and rear of the box is bolder, plus the box side tabs are thicker. Also, the authentic Mac box is a much brighter white on the inside. I only bought the odd thing or two from MAC way back in 2005 when this was released with the Ornamentalism collection, is it possible they could have changed their printing in four years?

If any of you could confirm this that would be of enormous help to me. I did have a look at the fake vs. authentic eye shadows on here although I’m still unsure. The seller is barginsforu08, and they have 100% positive feedback, although I know this means nothing.

Please see attached photos.

Thanks in advance, Ruth.
winks.gif

panda0410

Mystical Mist was Dcd a while back, its htf now so I understand that gamble in wanting/purchasing it
ssad.gif
I'm pretty sure this one is a counterfeit though, the pot base shows a few flaws normally only seen in counterfeits. A depot would show me one way or the other, but I'm 99% sure its a fake just from what I've seen here
ssad.gif

Darkness

Thanks for the info Panda0410. Yes, I had a feeling it was a fake. I must learn my lesson this time not to purchase any more off ebay unless it's my trusty sellers.
fool.gif

Jackie O

Wow, you've got a very catchy eye to have noticed such subtle differences. Kudos to you for being very detail oriented. I report counterfeit sellers on ebay all the time (like the people who sell fake 120 "MAC" palettes which don't even exist) unfortunately I heard Ebay doesn't even do much about it. But I guess it still helps to report I feel in some way. Is there any possible way to get your money back? Since you actually purchased the item and you have found it to be fake I'm pretty sure you have the option of reporting it, whether you will get your money back or not, I'm not sure of but it's definetely worth a shot. I hope I helped!!

The ONLY time I buy MAC products on Ebay is when the item is limited edition and it's impossible to find anywhere else (basically like what you were doing also). And I mean it's not like you save that much money, the prices on ebay are about the same. So next time if you can avoid shopping on ebay try to only purchase things from a MAC store or website directly, it's just not worth it. I'm sorry you had to go through this
ssad.gif

TheCollector

I wondering if you are going to depot it to be sure? I recently had a "depotting party" and depotted about 40 of my old eyeshadows (is it a party if you're alone???
winkiss.gif
). I was surprised how many had the dreaded '15' but were not fake. I didn't compare closely anything other than that number when I was depotting though. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that?

Can you depot it??

Darkness

Thanks for the message Jackie O.
smiles.gif
Yeah, I’m getting better at knowing what to look out for now. Hurrah for Spectra, its an incredibly informative site!
specktra_rocks.gif

I also had a little help from my boyfriend too, he has a background in art and is a printmaker, he could tell the difference with the fonts and cardboard etc. I’ve just contacted the seller, they do returns, so shouldn’t be a problem getting my money back. Your right eBay doesn’t seem to do anything about it, although it is probably worth reporting it. Well, I have definitely learned my lesson this time, no more purchases or risks with eBay. My fingers have been well and truly burnt twice now.

Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector
I wondering if you are going to depot it to be sure? I recently had a "depotting party" and depotted about 40 of my old eyeshadows (is it a party if you're alone???
winkiss.gif
). I was surprised how many had the dreaded '15' but were not fake. I didn't compare closely anything other than that number when I was depotting though. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that?

Can you depot it??

Hmmm, don't think I'll risk depotting, as the seller might not accept the return. When I read about the 15, it was the cherry on the icing for me. Oh btw, you weren’t alone you had 40 guests.
winks.gif

Jackie O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness
Well, I have definitely learned my lesson this time, no more purchases or risks with eBay. My fingers have been well and truly burnt twice now.

Yeah honestly, when it comes to buying MAC on ebay, it's not worth it, I just recently got hired to work for MAC so I won't need to be on ebay hunts anymore lol unless of course an item is limited, that's the ONLY time I use ebay, but even then it's somewhat tricky. I guess that's when it goes down to reading about the seller history, reading their feedback, etc. and yes it is worth reporting! I'm currently in the process of an investigation from a company called "Scandalous cosmetics" (don't ever buy from them) long story short, they wanted me to wait 2 weeks until they shipped my item. I saw on the listing that they offered refunds so I asked them if they'd just grant me the refund since the item hasn't been shipped and they said oh we don't do refunds lol! So why does it say you do on your site then?! It's been a mess! The case ends tomorrow so I should get my money back, make sure you ALWAYS purchase through paypal!! That's what protects your transaction...good luck to you hun!

Darkness

Ooops, my computer went on the blink and I posted twice. If one of the mods could delete this one please.

Darkness

Yes, no more gambles or risks, even if it’s something I really want. There are a couple of companies I use who do sell authentic limited edition stuff, so will stick with them, they’re members on here and I’ve always been happy with my purchases. I always buy from MAC stores if it’s from their permanent line. The seller I bought from had 100% feedback, with customers over the moon with their purchases. Hmmm..

Thanks for the advise with Scandalous Cosmetics, a very apt name don't you think? Glad you were able to get a refund, surely that’s illegal what they are doing, saying they give refunds, then once they get your money have an entirely different policy.
shockt.gif

Congratulations and good luck with your job at Mac, Jackie.
thmbup.gif

Darkness

Just thought I'd post a follow up on this.

I received a full refund from the eBay seller today and she also refunded my postage costs for returning it,
thmbup.gif
so can't say fairer than that. Thanks everyone for responding and helping me out with this one.

Jackie O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness
Yes, no more gambles or risks, even if it’s something I really want. There are a couple of companies I use who do sell authentic limited edition stuff, so will stick with them, they’re members on here and I’ve always been happy with my purchases. I always buy from MAC stores if it’s from their permanent line. The seller I bought from had 100% feedback, with customers over the moon with their purchases. Hmmm..

Thanks for the advise with Scandalous Cosmetics, a very apt name don't you think? Glad you were able to get a refund, surely that’s illegal what they are doing, saying they give refunds, then once they get your money have an entirely different policy.
shockt.gif

Congratulations and good luck with your job at Mac, Jackie.
thmbup.gif

aww thank you so much. and you're going to have to tell me who those trusted sellers are so they can have a new customer
smiles.gif

by the way, yes I am SO done with that company it's not even funny! They did me so wrong, I'm actually considering putting a video out there about what happened to me. because I love my subscribers and I really want people to be aware that they need to do their research about these small companies when they buy from them. I know I am not the only one who had something similiar happen to them so I think it's really important to put the word out, and not in a mean or hurtful way, I just want it to be honest and informative. good luck to you, and yay you got a refund too! lol

take care
smiles.gif

Latest posts