I need help with stage makeup! (waterproofing...)

ballerino

Hi All!

I'm a newbie to Specktra, and im not a makeup artist as such, im a full time ballroom dancer. I do my partners makeup for competition and have done so for about 2 years, and i absolutely love it! It's so fun getting different ideas from different photos - though being i've not had any official makeup training (have only had 2 or 3 lessons from a local makeup artist..) and this kinda gets frustrating bc i don't have that official background of knowledge...

ANYHOW! Getting to the point.... I use MAC creme liner on my dancing parter, and i use quite a bit of it considering it's to be seen out on a huge, brightly lit floor. Somehow tho, the liner smudges underneath when she smiles?! (the cheeks creasing against the under-eye area) I only use water with the creme, and only a little water at that. I started using a Kryolan Cake eyeliner sealer - to waterproof it, though it only made it worse!
th_confused_new.gif
I really want to have a strong emphasised line around her eye using the creme, though how do i make it more solid and waterproof?
Also, her e/s in general get's a bit 'funky' by the end of the day (the competitions we dance at go from 9am till 12 pm...!) and i always find myself touching it up (or in extreme cases re-doing the e/s at the end of the night!) Is e/s base/ primer all its craked up to be? I use a primer on hers and my face which seems to hold the foundation great, though im seriously thinking of using a e/s base. Would it also be worth looking into kryolan e/s? because considering how much dancers sweat, maybe i should be looking for a waterproof e/s....?

Sorry about all the writing, this is my first post, i've got so many q's:!:

Thanks all!
-Damian

melozburngr

a great liner that NEVER comes off are the fluidliners.. and they come in a a lot of great colors... for 13.50 in the US.. not sure how much down under. :p

Good luck- and I envy you- I would LOVE to know how to ballroom dance...

ballerino

Great, thanks a bunch for that, i'll definatley look into fluidliners....neone got any recs on e/s primer/ base though?

mac_obsession

I second fluidliners!! They wont budge at all. Id also say macs power points, they're waterproof and dont smudge as much.
HTH!

Also (I wouldnt say for eyeliner) but Urban decays lingerie and galoshes for lashes is awesome for waterproofing lashes and brows
greengrin.gif

ballerino

Great thanks for that guys, i'll have to grab some when im next at the MAC counter!

Anyone else got any rec's? I'd really like to know what people think in regard to what does and doesnt work for waterproof makeup..

aeni

there is something i sell to clown's called "sweatproof". it works to a certain degree, but like i tell all the synchronized swimmers- the only waterproof makeup out there is a tattoo.

aquend

The Fluidline is a great idea because you can make a strong line or a thin one depending on application. They also work great as creme eyeshadows that will not move.

If you are looking for a primer, there are huge raves about the Urban Decay Primer Potion.

Another product that is good for waterproofing/sealing make-up is Benefit She-Laq. It's almost like a temp paint that seals make-up to the skin. I would only rec that for lips and e/l. It's not ideal to go over eyeshadow since the lid wrinkes and bends.

ballerino

Yeh, I'd get urban decay, though it's not available in Australia, and Ebay only has 4 random UD products in AUS - none of which are Primer Potion. Though i'm considering the fluidline and the powerpoint as they seem like what i need. I think for now, e/s wise, i'll just have to make the base underneath more solid with foundation and powder till i find an appropriate primer.
Thanks all anyhow!

-DG

ballerino

Has anyone tried Kryloan eyeshadow? They supposedly have a waterproof range, and i'm curious as to how that'd turn out. I've seen a few FOTD posts where they've used the odd Kryolan e/s, and it looks quite solid and highly pigmented.

What's it like?