I need some serious hair color help - it's orange!

KYBankerGirl

First, let me give a little background. I am fair skinned, freckled, ruddy undertone with natural haircolor that I would describe as a dark strawberry blonde that was dull and washed me out. Until Wednesday, I had virgin hair.

Next, I take full responsibility for not having take a picture with me to the salon. I do not speak "salon" so when I asked for red hair, I got it, only I call it orange. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful color but it's not for me. I have the personality to pull it off, but I feel like I'm wearing a sequin dress on my head. :)

So, here's where I need help. I have an appointment today to go back and have the color worked on - I just need to know what to expect and what terminology I need to use. In my head, I envision Kate Walsh, Nicole Kidman red-auburn hue that is a deep color but not dark, brassy or ashy.

Last, with the color that's on my head right now, can it even be remedied?

I really appreciate your reading my scream for help!

girlsaidwhat

It can be remedied.

If I were you, I'd be frantically looking at pictures of hair (magazines, etc, especially hair magazines) trying to find a shade that more represents what I wanted in the first place.

One thing they can do is...a semipermanent color on top, to alter the shade without too much damage to your hair. But it is really important that you have a ....tool...to explain exactly what color you're looking for. A picture is worth a thousand words, remember? : )

Good luck!

KYBankerGirl

I have some pictures tagged in magazines that I'm going to take with me. I am just anxious about the logistics of being able to arrive at the color I'm looking for.

MACATTAK

Yes it can be remedied. The good part about it is since you had virgin hair before this, your hair is going to recover quickly. Good luck & let us know how it turns out
smiles.gif

bis

Ask for a book with all the colour samples in there.
So you can see the colour and what it looks like. And some colours are in the book depending on your original hair colour.
And then ask the hairdresser how this would work out for you.

stacylynne

The salon should have hair sample colors. Also, explain to the colorist exactly what you want and clip out pics. Before you get color, ask the colorist how it would look with your skintone. Tell them you do not want orange or brassy.

After you get colored. make sure you use a good shampoo & conditioner for color treated hair.

This is 1 of the biggest mistakes ppl do. They spend all this $ on getting their hair done & then use garbage shampoo & wonder why their hair looks brassy. Again, ask the colorist what shampoo & conditioner to use.

I personally use Loreal intense repair (not from a drug store, from salons only).
I also use a spray leave in contioner & use CHI silk infusion on my ends.

Also, instead of going to the salon for a condition treatment. You can do it yourself @ home. Use a really good conditioner (ex: loreal intense repair; salon only, bed head; self absorbed, k pack) sleep with it over night with a shower cap.
Next day rinse, follow w/ a light shampoo & light condioner. This will keep your hair healthy & strong from the coloring.
Good luck.

KYBankerGirl

Thanks so much for the advice - it's been really helpful.

I am very much pleased with my new gold highlights - not brassy or ashy. I probably could have pulled off what I call the "orange" color, but it was too drastic for me, I may have to ease into it.

The suggestion about the conditioner is something I'd not thought about, but I can certainly do that at home.

I also came home with shampoo and conditioner for my new hair along with a thermal spray since I use a blow dryer every day and will likely begin using a flat iron regularly.

Thanks again!

Mizz.Yasmine

reds always fade the fatest too! make sure to use good color-saving products!

i'm glad ur hair turned out good
smiles.gif