I need to rant and cry...

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

I need to rant and I feel like crying...

I feel like a loser, like I'm never supposed to achieve anything in life, a bit fat failure. I work at Hungry Jacks (Burger king) and there are 3 levels of "competence" before becoming a higher level of authority. They are Bronze, Silver and Gold. I have been there a year in April and still on bronze, some girl has been there half that time and sh'es now on silver. I don't understand this and am extrmely pissed off because she is really lazy and is halfwhat stupid when it comes to that job. I'm going to sound like I'm tooting my own horn but seriously, I'm a good, extremely competent worker. I am the most trusted with being able to do something, and done efficiently. Everybody thinks I should be Team Leader ie. the next level of authority, but yet this girl manages to be ahead of me. Why? I don't understand. (BTW, shes about 7 months younger than me)
Then yesterday I found out that one of the managers is 2 weeks younger than I am, WTF???
I don't understand why I'm such a failure and nobody wants to train me to make me a better worker when all I see is shit people getting higher up in the ranks than me...
I don't like the feeling of being almost 21 and am absoloutely nowhere in my life, this is shit and its REALLY getting me down.
I feel like nobody listens to me, and everyone ignores me...

Seriously, is there something wrong with me? Am I supposed to be like this for the rest of my life, am I mentally retarded and nobodies told me yet. I feels so depressed and like such a loser...

Holly

You could always find a different place to work at, where you will get the recognition that you truly deserve. Or you could ask what you could do to get to that next level in your job. Sorry I'm not much help*hugs*

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_monsta2504
am I mentally retarded and nobodies told me yet. I feels so depressed and like such a loser...

Wow, I've said this about me too!.

A failure at 21? Now... you are too young to throw in the towel. Please Don't say those things about yourself.

Sometimes employers don't realize or choose to ignore a persons stregnths & talents, if you feel that you are being overlooked, go job hunt during your time off (fyi: don't bad mouth your old employer/co-workers, to the new one). If you want to move up where you are presently employed, maybe you should speak to a manager about your interest. *Find a job site that can advise you on how to go about this (like monster.com)

You have to get used to the fact that many times in life your boss will be younger than you. One of mine is about 8 years younger than me & he's about 20 years younger than some of the others in our department.

Good luck!

ginger9

Listen to ZLoves2Shop for she is a wise woman.

When I was around your age I worked for a tyrant of a supervisor. She was not very intelligent and she would yell and scream at me for things that were not my fault or out of my control. I was clearly one of her best workers but she took advantage of that. After about a bit over a year of working there I swore to myself that I was going to do whatever it takes to find another job and get the hell out of there and I did. Don't beat yourself up, change the situation girl! You are young - the world is your oyster
smiles.gif
Cheer up hon!

..kels*

i know exactly how you feel. i worked at mcdonalds for over 3 years (i quit twice for about six months each time to focus on school) & i was one of the first four hired at my store. all around me, new crew were being promoted & i was still at square one despite all of my hard work. i worked my ass off only to have 15 year olds surpass me & boss me around. i was so upset that my manager was overlooking me. finally i asked her if i could be promoted. she apparently didn't realize that i was still at the bottom of the totem pole & was more than happy to bump me up. in my 3 years there i worked my way up to the position just below swing manager -- team leader. they offered to promote me to manager, but by that time i was over working at mcdonalds & i quit. you are by NO means a failure!! i completely agree with ZLoves2Shop.. you are too young to throw in the towel!! good luck with getting promoted!
thmbup.gif

Deirdre

You know, maybe your manager has noticed what an asset you are, and feels threatened! If she promoted you, and her manager noticed you (in her mind), you could end up replacing or surpassing her. Does that sentence make sense, sorry for the awkward construction.

Regardless, look for a better job, but don't burn any bridges there, it's nice to have references.

little teaser

honestly.. you need to change the way you think, if you go around telling your self that your a loser/failure then thats what your gonna be.. how do you think others are suppose to belive in you if you dont.. you need to find self confidence and others will see it and give you a chance. just because the girl is younger doesnt mean she is less qualified instead of being resentfull and jealous maybe try to learn something from her and what she has that you can get too.

start by changeing your attitude thats whats standing in your way..

redambition

firstly - one thing that you will have to get over is the idea that your manager or supervisor should be older than you are. (sorry this sounds harsh, but in today's workplace it's so very true).

this will not always be the case, and if you have a problem with this sort of thing it can affect your career and it will make you miserable (thinking, that should be me etc). if your manager is a good leader and someone who is good at what they do, their age doesn't matter.

don't be discouraged by the fact that you feel you haven't gotten anywhere in your current job. there could be many reasons for this. some reasons are legit (like them not having a position to offer you), some are petty and crap (like deirdre said - sometimes managers can feel threatened by really strong people on their team. i think that's stupid, but it's not something that is always obvious, nor can it be controlled).

the best thing to do is take a deep breath and be calm about it. if you have a good relationship with your main manager, sit down and talk to them about possible opportunities in the team for you (if you want to stay there). If you want to go one to another job, then start looking, but don't burn your bridges at your current job, in case you ever need them in the future.

best of luck... i am sure everything will work out.

~Crystal~

Hey girl!

I'm almost 21 too- and in Australia as well, and Hungry Jacks never even called me back after I sent in my application!! -__-

Don't be so upset though! It is true that in today's workplace, there will often be someone who is younger than you in a higher position. That's just the way it is!
On the other hand, why not try to get another job? Jobs in fastfood chains aren't so difficult to come by... and I think a change of atmosphere will probably be good for you
smiles.gif
Leave the hungry jacks jobs to the 16 year olds, and try something else? It helps to register with the Coles Myer group too!! Since they have access to sooooo many stores, I'm sure that you'll find one somewhere! Once you get into their talent pool, they'll give you a call whenever a new job that might suit you pops up!

Good luck!

Beauty Mark

You know, those age differences are rather arbitrary at this point in your life.

If you are seriously interested in investing yourself in this place, I would have a calm discussion with your manager on how you can improve so that you can reach the next level.

Remember to not let you define yourself by a job. Particularly something like retail, you probably have so many other great things going for you that your occupation says very little about the kind of person you are.

kimmy

i know how you feel. they promoted some really undeserving people at my place of work (and i have a shitty, low level job...i'm totally a piss on haha) and it really bothered me. i even went to one of my supervisors and said "am i doing something wrong? these girls have less experience than me, they show up to work late constantly, they call in sick way too often, and when they actually are here, they just fuck around."

but this is one thing i've learned...you can't really question it, because you never know who's doing what (or whom) behind closed doors. i know that sounds horrible, and i'm not saying any of your coworkers are in a sense selling themselves for the promotions, but there is a possibility. it's also possible that these people have friends or family in high places who are getting them these promotions. you never really know, so it's hard to say. but don't let yourself get down about it. it doesn't mean they're better than you...it usually just means they're skanky or they know people (or at least, from what i've seen. i don't want any backlash for that comment, this is just what i've seen so far.)

you're still young, and i'm sure you have a world of opportunities ahead of you, you just have to take control of your life and take advantage of those opportunities! if you really want to stay at hungry jack's, have a talk with your manager and just be like "here's what it is; i work my ass off and i'm looking to move up. i've been here for this long and i feel like i deserve something for it, and if i don't; let me know what i need to do to promote."

hope it all works out for you. but really, don't measure yourself by anyone else's success or failure. as long as you're doing the best job you can. that's all that really matters. karma will pay you back for all your hard work someday.
winks.gif

saniyairshad

Don't worry hon, patience is a virtue and trust me, good things happpen to people who wait. remember dont let anyone or anything get u down. Put on a happ face and remember that u only live life once. Keep ur faith in God and he will not let u down hon!!!!
kissy.gif
th_hug.gif

Latest posts