I think I have the dumbest MAC Chat question ever.

Mizz.Yasmine

lol

I was just thinking about my LE older MAC lipsticks that I've bought off eBay and the oldest one was released Holiday 2000!So does that mean my lipstick is actually about 8 years old?! Has any1 else ever thought about this?I don't like the texture of it anymore and I thought about this for a sec and was like DUH!
th_dunno.gif
haha

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizz.Yasmine
lol

I was just thinking about my LE older MAC lipsticks that I've bought off eBay and the oldest one was released Holiday 2000!So does that mean my lipstick is actually about 8 years old?! Has any1 else ever thought about this?I don't like the texture of it anymore and I thought about this for a sec and was like DUH!
th_dunno.gif
haha

Your question is not dumb. Years ago I would buy MAC off eBAY, but I stopped buying any color cosmetics because you don't know what you are getting. Now, if you are buying something from a current collection (ie. FAFI) then you know the items should be "fresh" for lack of a better word. I would B2M the older lipsticks with the bad texture.

Millgrove

Um, yes probably, sorry.

If it is in the new style packaging (bullet shaped case) you can tell from the batch number on the label.

e.g. A72 - the last number means it was made in 2002, the number before means it was made in July.

The older style packaging (straight case) usually has a different number system and I'm not sure if the last number means the year or not, but you can be sure they're pretty old anyway.

How fast they go off does depend on the pigments etc used for that colour, so will vary. But when they smell unpleasant and the texture becomes waxy, it's time for them to go, sorry. Smell is as good a guide as anything. It's worth going trhough your stash now and then and having a good sniff (sounds awful, I know), but if you find a lipstick that is just starting to smell different, you get some warning to use it up quick before it goes off and has to be ditched. Sometimes if you trim off the used end, the rest is a little fresher (but not that much/often, so only worth bothering if you love it).

Water-containing products have the shortest life (like shimmersouffle etc) - these are often liquids or mousses
Oil/wax containing products last a bit longer - like cream products, lipsticks, lipglosses
Longest life of all is powder products, esp oil-free powders - if stored carefully and not contaminated, they can last indefinitely.

Shame isn't it
ssad.gif

SBluvsMAC

I have a ton of older lippies and thankfully they are all still OK. The ones that are bad I still keep.....even if it's just to look at them!