I think it's about time...

soulstar

...to sell part of my collection
ssad.gif

I know! I'm so sad about it but I've been thinking about it for awhile now. I'm seriously going into debt because of my makeup consumption for the past few months and really need some money!

Anyone in the same boat as me???

p.s. if anyone is really interested in buying some things, keep checking back to this post and I'll post a link if I decide to sell my precious MAC collection
ssad.gif

xoxprincessx0x

thats so sad =[ my collection is slowly growing so i dont feel like i can part with anything. aside from eyeshadows, i buy what i love from LE collections.

tigerli17

I'm beginning to get the same way. Definitely don't wanna part with my collection but i'm going a *lil* into debt because of the temptation! With TWO MACs round the corner from work and one at Bluewater where I go shopping after work it's so hard to resist.

I am resorting to selling some stuff on ebay now. Not MAC related yet but old CD promos I got, some of my uncles old star war stuff...etc. I'm going to Portsmouth CCO this weekend and I'll probably sell any MSF or LE stuff I find on ebay, I've seen those things go for silly amounts of money. The trouble will be wrenching it away from me...All the money will probably all go straight to MAC again though. Damn you MAC!
cry.gif
With your pretty LE stuff...

rouquinne

i know it's hard when there's SO MUCH GORGEOUS STUFF at MAC, but i've become really restrained when it comes to buying things.

for example, i NEVER buy from a collection the first time i see it - i'll swatch colours that catch my eye on a piece of plain white paper and take it home to see how close it is to something i already have. if X (the new product) is substantially the same as L (the old product), i won't buy X.

this isn't to say that i don't make mistakes that aren't still hanging around (True Couture lippie, Iris Print shadow), or that i've been able to sell on (the Tempt Me eye palette), but those are few and far between for me these days.

the other thing i make sure i do is only buy something i am 100% SURE i will wear!!!

don't fall into the trap of buying a colour that looks horrible on you just because it's LE and you just have to have it! i don't understand people who collect for the sake of simply having it in your collection - there is someone out there who will wear that colour and LOVE it to death! let her (or him) have it!

*rou steps off her soapbox*

greengrin.gif

Divinity

^^
Werd. I work with a girl who's MAC collection is STILL alll BNIB. She says it's too pretty to use. What's the point if you aren't going to use it?

CantAffordMAC

I only recently started buying mac. I bought their concealer and foundation before but I only really got into it around christmas time.

Its easy to get sucked in...but I'm not stupid. I stay away from colors I dont use much. Theres no point in me buying Parrot, because I have similar colors and I don't even use those. I did get my hands on some blue storm shadows...I dont normally wear blues but that doesn't mean you can't have a few in your collection. But now I know I'll probably stay away from Naughty Nauticals because I don't even get down on blue shadows like that...

I never buy pigments, because I will NEVER use that much pigment in my lifetime. samples are more than enough for me.

I just buy stuff that i really want. worst comes to worse you can always sell it on here. i buy from specktra a lot too...it saves me a lot of money sometimes.

xoxprincessx0x

I have a few items I don't wear that often but despite that, I don't think I can ever part with them lol I guess it is the idea of a "collection" that makes me not want to sell them. By the way what is a CCO??

palatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxprincessx0x
By the way what is a CCO??

Cosmetics Company Outlet
smiles.gif
you can find discounted mac there, usually from past collections. i wish we had them in canada! i went to one when i visited seattle but never bought anything...

anyway, i went through a month or two ago and sold off some things that i just wasn't using, and i've also b2m'ed the odd item that i haven't used in awhile. i also keep a really intricate database of what i own on my computer. i use a program that came with the new windows office package called one note, and it makes it really easy to clip out sections of the screen (like a screenshot without the hassle, just crop your screen!). basically what i've done is cropped out all the swatches from the mac site of items i own and items i want. if an LE product swatch looks too similar online, i just leave it. i usually buy from collections online and then i'm not tempted in store, and if i have to see something i go a few days after the collection has launched to avoid the hype.

this way, i only buy what i need and want, i don't get sucked into things (which i did with some collections last year, cshock and flashtronic in particular). so maybe coming up with some system that works for you in the future would be good...and for now - sell whatever you don't touch! it's makeup, it's meant to be used
smiles.gif
and then use the money to treat yourself to something nice so you don't feel like you've lost anything. HTH!

tricky

I just sorted through my collection and took out things I want to sell just because I have too much that I never use. The stuff i want to get rid of is about 1/3 of my collection. In the future I definitely need to be more picky about what I buy.

thelove4tequila

I feel ya. I have a few things I have been thinking about selling. I just do see the need to keep things for collection sake. I wish, wish, wish I could see collections in person so I could narrow things down and buy less. But I have to rely on swatches online and I'm never sure what exactly I want. So I buy stuff I probably wouldn't if I had seen in person. Luckily my makeup stash hasn't put in into any debt!

Winnie

I guess you could say I was fairly recent to MAC, although I did have a couple of things before I started going into MAC religiously. It's hard not to get caught up in a collection and I agree, I only stick to things I will wear for sure. I didn't buy parrot either because I have a couple of blue shadows that I realise I rarely use and parrot would just be the same. I think you have to try and be sensible, even though that isn't easy when you are surrounded my colourful make up goodies. Also being a student with only occassional part time work, I kind of have to keep to a budget. I rarely buy products without seeing them in real life because it's silly just relying on swatches on other people's skintones.

MsButterfli

i can feel ya, im bout to look thru some of my stuff now to see what ima part with, i need to budget better n save more

Niquas Brain

Aw don't feel bad about it!

If it's colours you don't really use much, it will get a nice new home!

I think I must of spent over 300 pounds in the last few months, on MAC and various other brands. So I really really need to hold back for awhile!

I think the promo pics end up changing my mind, I'll be convinced I won't buy much, but then I see the promo pics again and they are always so nice!! And then I always think oh no its LE! I should get it!

But I guess really its just make up *hides* and I really don't need loads of shades of the same colour... *convinces herself*

Speckra can be really good for narrowing down what you will buy, with people comparing colours to whats in the perm line or what you have from a previous LE collection.

purrtykitty

I totally hear you...and I finally did the same thing. I took a hard look at what I had and put a huge chunk of stuff up for sale. What's the point in having it if I'm not going to use it? You'll be so much happier if you can get rid of some of the stuff - it not only gives you a chance to organize, but it puts some extra dough in your pocket! I'm also re-thinking the stuff I'm buying. I really need to think about what I have and whether I need another color that's just like it. It's hard...especially because of the lure of LE items, but somehow I've got to rein in my spending.

tripwirechick

I've definitely parted with some things.. When I first started collecting 5 years ago I had no idea and just bought things I liked the look of without realising they would look hideous on me. I also sometimes impulse buy when I'm at the counter so I've sold some of that stuff too.

soulstar

Okay girlies, so I've really decided to sell a few things on here! Check back over the weekend for my list of things for sale.... so sad =( haha. I'm gonna be going home tomorrow for the weekend (I live an hour away for school). I'm gonna be selling some MAC stuff (a couple paint pots, LE items), maybe other beauty products, and fashion related items (shirts, bags, jackets, etc.) SOOO, KEEP ON THE LOOK-OUT FOR THOSE INTERESTED!