I want to make my own mineral makeup.

JULIA

Hey ladies, Ive tried using far too many mineral foundations without success so now I've decided it'd be best if I just make my own. I am sensitive to mica, bismuth oxychloride, titanium dioxide and talc. All of these ingredients make my skin burn, lips swell and I get little bumps all over my face. So...what's a non-irritating substitute for these ingredients? Any tips for making mineral makeup at home?

Jynx

Honestly, I don't think there's any way you'll be able to get away from sing Mica in any MMU. You could try mixing Silica Microspheres with Kaolin clay and some oxides for coloring. Are you sure it's Mica that irritates you? If you've never used it on it's own before, I'd recommend getting a sample from tkbtrading.com and trying it by itself. Talc can be simply omitted in MMU. Another few things to look into are Pearl Powder and Zinc Oxide.

annielise

corycosmetics.com sells Mica-free MMU and they're one of my favorites (and I've tried 20+ brands of MMU).

n_c

I don't have recs for you, but if you come up with a mineral makeup line that does not have those ingredients I will be your first customer!!!

PixieSkull

Honestly, I don't think there's any way you'll be able to get away from sing Mica in any MMU. You could try mixing Silica Microspheres with Kaolin clay and some oxides for coloring. Are you sure it's Mica that irritates you? If you've never used it on it's own before, I'd recommend getting a sample from tkbtrading.com and trying it by itself. Talc can be simply omitted in MMU. Another few things to look into are Pearl Powder and Zinc Oxide.
It's VERY difficult to make something without micas since mica gives a dewy glow to a foundation. I understand the bismuth oxychloride, the Bare Escentuals lady didn't understand how I could have an allergy to her products. Kinda like I was making it up! That's the reason I started making my own as well. No SPF products or bismuth or preservatives, and it works really awesome for me. Granted, I use a mica in mine, but the base is made of iron oxides.

I imagine if you use silk powder for some attachment purposes, it would add a little dewyness. I find it does a tiny bit on it's own. I also use less matte bases like rice powder to reduce the matte look. Serecite mica is my main base component so I don't know how to add the bulk and middle man for the adherents in the formula. Hmm... could be fun to experiment.

Now, an easy way to find how sensitive you are to specific types of micas (most to all are treated in different ways, sometimes with adding other chemical components) is to try tiny samples from any of the mica companies, I prefer the Conservatorie for all sorts of small samples. Lots of people are sensitive to the chromiums or ultramarines added to some micas.

Oxana124

There are 2 minerals makeups I have comes across that don't use mica. One uses clay instead, I think it was kaolin, so you could try that. The other uses arrowroot powder(sold at grocery stores like Whole Foods). You could always get clay, arrowroot powder, some iron oxides to tint it, and experiment with it.
Can you use zinc oxide? If you can I would highly recommend adding at least some of that to your makeup, because it will make it have better coverage and help it stick to your skin.