I wish money didn't matter

scrapbookromance

so I got a little while to go til I'm 18 and even have a chance to apply at MAC. but I can't help wondering how much MAC MA's get paid. anyone willing to share what their starting wage was?
lol.gif

MisStarrlight

Apparently we're not supposed to discuss that. It's in poor taste or something. I'm not one for doing what is proper, but I guess all I'm allowed to say is that I freelance for MAC & I get about twice of what I was making as a "zone manager" at Victoria's Secret & almost 3 times as much as minimum wage. As far as I know, permanent MAs get as much as me, if not more.

M.A.C*Attack

in arizona starters get between 10 and 12 ,13ish depending on sales exp.....but managers get between 13 + ...... my friend thats a manager makes 24 an hour so i dunno im just going off what shes told me but shes been there a while too....lol .. shooooot theres a girl there that worked for another counter and she makes 17 an hr and shes only been there 4 month but like i said she worked fr another counter......

lightsinsorrow

I was wondering the same thing. I applied and was asked to come back for a second interview (i.e. makeup demo). I thought it would be in poor taste to bring up money during my interview. However, I heard through the grapevine that the pay around here is between $10-14/hr (I'm in CA by the way).

meals

my stylist worked for mac, and she made 14.44 or something like that I know for sure it was $14 & whatever cents. She left at mac $14.85 or some weird number

MisStarrlight

**New Information**

I just found out (a couple of days ago) that MAC actually pays very LOW compared to other makeup lines. This could be freestanding stores onliny & not counters...and it's also in NYC, but still something worth looking into. MAC may be the only line I know inside & out, but I'm discovering that it's not all there is to makeup.

lightsinsorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
**New Information**

I just found out (a couple of days ago) that MAC actually pays very LOW compared to other makeup lines. This could be freestanding stores onliny & not counters...and it's also in NYC, but still something worth looking into. MAC may be the only line I know inside & out, but I'm discovering that it's not all there is to makeup.

At this point, pretty much anything is better than the $9.25 I get as a hostess at a restaurant. Man, I hate that freakin' job. Hopefully this MAC thing works out!

lightsinsorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by j babyy
hmm an ma at the brea store told me that starting there is about $17.25

I was just hired as a freelance/on call artist for the Orange County I region (which includes Santa Ana, Westminster, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Newport Beach, Cerritos, and I think Brea too, among others) and the bracket in this area is between $15-20. I did my paperwork this morning and know what I will be paid but I won't specify how much (just to be safe). I was very pleasantly surprised though, LOL.

SARAHluvsMAC

In terms of freelance artists, yes... MAC is very below the standard rate
atleast in the dc area...
mac starts at 15/hour and smashbox starts at $20
however when you do an event, you get paid a seperate rate (here=$18)

As permanent I started at 15/hour and you have a yearly review where you can get raises, the highest raise i've heard of in a yr is $1

I applied for a couple of other lines before I started and they told me that managers get paid $12 an hour, this was prescriptives and clinique which I think is pretty shitty...in terms of permanent employees I think MAC pays decently

MizMac

as a former mac/nordie's gal, after almost two years at nordies, one year as a mac freelancer. I left Nordstrom at $13.25 plus commision. Ihope that helps.....

tina_mac

I was just hired at nordstrom MAC...even though the pay is not that high plus I have to drive an hour to get to my counter...kinda suck. I am still very very excited just think of the experience you will gain, it also looks very good on your resume if you also freelance on the side...plus discounts and freestuff...

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHluvsMAC
In terms of freelance artists, yes... MAC is very below the standard rate
atleast in the dc area...
mac starts at 15/hour and smashbox starts at $20
however when you do an event, you get paid a seperate rate (here=$18)

As permanent I started at 15/hour and you have a yearly review where you can get raises, the highest raise i've heard of in a yr is $1

I applied for a couple of other lines before I started and they told me that managers get paid $12 an hour, this was prescriptives and clinique which I think is pretty shitty...in terms of permanent employees I think MAC pays decently

Oh yeah, they totally pay well, I wouldn't have stayed there this long if they didn't. However, here in NYC we have a bazillion other lines that all have freestanding stores as well as counters.
I just finished up at MUD so I'm a real makeup artist now so next week I'm going in to look at FACE Stockholm to supplement the money between photoshoots (I hear they get $25, but that may just be the managers. I hope not, but we'll see
clap.gif
)

sparkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmkup
This is helpful, thanks, ladies!

this thread was created over 2 years ago now so i would assume that the figures have changed... but maybe not!
th_dunno.gif

lyttleravyn

I had an interview at a MAC counter in Macy's and was told permanent start at $18/hr and freelance is $20/hr (but with no perks). Just waiting for the company to end their "reassessing" and hire me! haha

macgurl123

I know this is an old thread but wanted to give a range. Pay varies according to experience. I've seen freelancers start at $16-$18 and permanent $13-$17
There is not a set rate for anyone. Depends on your area and your experience.

tigerli17

I don't suppose anyone could give a ballpark figure for UK MAC? I earn about £8 an hour in my office job but I desperately want a change and do something I love for a living. But there's the slight problem of the mortgage and bills :-(

If it's £8 or above starting wage I can apply and know i can still pay all my bills making the people around me a little more supportive...The worst thing ever would be to rock all the interviews and then find out I can't live on the wage :'-(