If a physical store was selling fake items they wouldn't get away with it...

chameleonmary

So why is Ebay ignoring reports on fake MAC items? I am sure there are plenty of reports and complaints.

Is there anything further that can be done, such as report to authorities? I doubt it will do much though!

What frustrates me is that legitimate sellers of all kinds of items may struggle to sell their goods sometimes. Fakes often seem to go for ridiculous prices, though!

Take this for example. I have reported 2 times but its still up there!

MAC 12 COLOUR EYESHADOW BNIB - eBay Sets, Kits, Beauty Tools, Makeup, Beauty, Health. (end time 30-May-08 19:00:00 AEST)

The funny thing is that they can buy a quad palette for a similar price! But it would take a person who is at least familiar with the MAC brand to bid that much money to begin with. Most people I know would not spend $61 on a palette unless they were familiar with high-end cosmetics. I do not sympathise with bidders like this...

panda0410

Unless the person bidding was a newbie - familair with the brand maybe but not necessarily the product which I think is often the case. They think they are getting a "good deal" on a high end brand but may have no idea whatsoever what exactly that high end brand actually sells....

Reporting on AU ebay is ineffective because AU ebay are LOUSY at doing their job. Sellers were still listing pigment samples up to only a few days ago - something that was banned on every other ebay site the AU lot continue to permit....

BunnyBunnyBunny

I just feel bad for the bidders. They haven't been educated on MAC enough to know how hideously monstrously fake the items are. They think they are getting a steal, when the seller is actually stealing from them. =(

ellienellie

Ebay are just so bad at being active/interested in pretty much anything!
Especially counterfeits, in my experience.

When I reported a counterfeiter selling loads of MAC brushes, they eventually e-mailed me saying they would "investigate" and if I wished to go to Trading Standards and report them, it was up to me.....

Why shouldn't they be more active against fraud?? Don't they have some responsibility?!?

Looks like they really don't care that much about their customers (who give them LOTS of business being ripped off, as long as they get their money).....

BubbleWrap

I found a physical store selling fake MAC. Well, my mum did and bought me some eyeliners because she thought it was real... For £2?!
Shall post pics of fake eyeliner later...

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleWrap
I found a physical store selling fake MAC. Well, my mum did and bought me some eyeliners because she thought it was real... For £2?!

jawdrop.gif

Wha!!??

Brittni

^ I have seen similar "MAC" items at a local (crappy) beauty store as well. I thought it was just another brand called MAC at the time as I wasn't familiar w/the logo. I think I might stop there sometime over the weekend and investigate it, too! They were right by the NYX display.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellienellie
jawdrop.gif

Wha!!??

It's not entirely surprising - there are a lot of "grey market" discount beauty stores out there. Some parallel import from not-always-reliable sources.

COBI

With ebay, though, I can't condemn them without knowing more of the real numbers: how many fraudulent items are reportedly to them daily? how many are actually eventually removed by ebay? how many legitimate items are reported by someone with a beef (or competition) with the seller?

Certainly, it can't be as simple as "Sally reported it, so let's remove it". There needs to be time and prioritizing for reviewing items, and at first guess, I imagine just the US site alone must get thousands of reports daily of items outside of ebay's rules.

There are a lot of questionable items outside of makeup on ebay, so the potential for reports is huge and not just counterfeit items, but everything that falls outside of a rule. For example, I teach a class called Turbo Kick, and the releases are not supposed to be resold as they are copyright-protected material available for sale by the original company only, but people sell them left and right, and with reporting by others, some have been removed; others haven't been.

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
It's not entirely surprising - there are a lot of "grey market" discount beauty stores out there. Some parallel import from not-always-reliable sources.

Wow, I genuinely didn't think that was possible...

I mean with ebay, well you know how it is, fakes get through the net all the time.
But an actual physical store selling counterfeit goods.... wow

shocking..
angry.gif

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny
I just feel bad for the bidders. They haven't been educated on MAC enough to know how hideously monstrously fake the items are. They think they are getting a steal, when the seller is actually stealing from them. =(

I know what you mean... I've been duped as well, due to ignorance.

Now, I'd rather save up and buy direct from MAC than give my hard earned cash to counterfeiters...
thmbdn.gif

toby_is_cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleWrap

Wow, what store did your mom find that in? Scary!

And that fake pallete on ebay is just sad. It had so many bids too, I wish you could email the bidders and tell them they are bidding on fakes.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby_is_cute
It had so many bids too, I wish you could email the bidders and tell them they are bidding on fakes.

I always think this even when the item is genuine and still available. I want to say "wait, you can buy that for less by calling MAC (or MAC pro) directly!"

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
I always think this even when the item is genuine and still available. I want to say "wait, you can buy that for less by calling MAC (or MAC pro) directly!"

I know... isn't it frustrating?! I really don't understand why people are prepared to pay more (sometimes WAY more) for MAC on ebay instead of buying it cheaper AND guaranteed genuine directly from MAC....

Go figure!?