I'm a little timid . . .

naturallyfab

to try MAC shadows. Every time I go to the MAC counter, the eye shadows don't swatch on my skin very well. I always leave thinking that I have better shadows at home. I have a question for all you eye shadow junkies like myself out there. Do MAC shadows go on the eye better than they swatch? I REALLY want to get in them, but I hesitate because of my experiences with them. thoughts?
hmm.gif

Kawaiiamaiai

Yes, they do tend to swatch like crap on the hands but look great on the eyes.

Are there certain colors you are looking at? My advice to you is next time you go, jot down the colors you like. Come home and look up swatches on here, temptalia.com, or Karla Sugar's swatches. That way you'll see different swatches and get to see if it's just the tester they have at MAC that's the dud or the color in general.

naturallyfab

I just checked out temptalia. The colors I want look so pretty! I think it just may be that my mac counter has crappy eye shadows to swatch, because the swatches on temptalia look fine. Thanks for the tip kawaiiamaimai!

KaytieBaybie

Well, the MAs leave them out for swatches. So I guess if so many people are sticking their fingers in to swatch the shadows then that may effect the swatches. I agree with Kawaii the eyeshadows definetely look better on the eyes then when swatched.

KaytieBaybie

Kelly! I just looked at your blog...I'm a college student too.

Off topic but how do you store your makeup for college? I'm leaving for college in August and have no idea how I'm going to store my makeup or what to store them in...since the dorm room space is so restricted and I have a roomie. What do you think?

naturallyfab

@KatieBaybie I have the sterilite 3 drawer bins (one large, two small) for my makeup. So far, that's the best way I have found to store my makeup. I'm still working on the brush storage! Closer to back to school time I'm probably going to post my school set up :D

Chrystia

I think it really depends on the preference for eyeshadows.

As someone said, the testers tend to not swatch nearly as well because every person is using their fingers to try them. So their tends to be a coating that builds up on the shadow effecting the pigmentation. Also fingers never swatch as well. I usually will take a tissue and wipe the shadow and use the powder on the tissue to swatch the shadow on customer's hands. You'll get a much better feel for the colour than with your hand.

Also, I might be in a minority, but I actually like that MAC shadows don't just go on full out intensity all the time. I prefer to have a solid shadow that has good pigmentation that is buildable in intensity. It gives me a more diverse range of options for using the shade in different looks. Again, that might just be me. I tend to like a lot of the shadows that the blog community doesn't care for. (ie. I love my Quite Cute quad). However, I also like other brands beyond MAC as well. I have a small selection of Urban Decay, Too Faced, Make Up Forever, and TheBalm. Personally though, I find the quality to be the same as MAC. But personal preference plays such a huge part in make up selections.

naturallyfab

I found out that I think the testers at my counter are just wonky. I ordered a bunch of mac shadows a few weeks ago and they all swatch really nicely. Thanks for all your help guys!

MAC_Whore

All shadows perform better with a base. Before you swatch the shadows, just swipe your base of choice (paint, paint pot, shadestick, concealor, etc) across your hand, then swatch.

Latest posts