I'm Graduating in May & Need Makeup Advice!

Lizzie

I'm broke, so I can't really justify buying a new dress (especially since it's going to be under a gown most of the time) so I'm just going to wear things I already own.

I need suggestions for how to do my makeup because I don't want to match my dress, but I don't know if I should be wham bam bright either... these pictures are going to be around for a while. I was thinking of going with my usual smoky eye (as per my avatar), but I want to look extra special.

[Also, is my dress appropriate for the occasion?! I'm super clueless.]

Here's a picture of my dress and shoes:

DSC04795.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

& a closeup of the dress material:

DSC04799.jpg

Sorry if I was a long winded, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thmbup.gif

kaliraksha

I know I love the shoes. The dress is cute and seems perfect for the neutral smokey eye or wham bam silver or gold... but I know you said you don't want to match it.

Do you have other contenders for a dress to wear to graduation? What are you school colors?

Lizzie

My school colors are blue and gold.

I have other dresses, but I'm thinking of wearing this one only because I haven't worn it at a big event yet. The other contender is a lovely purple dress that I love but I wore at my bf's mom's wedding.

Thanks so much for responding!
smiles.gif

HeatherLouWho

Congratulations!

I think this dress is appropriate, especially since you chose closed toed shoes. (It always looks weird to me when girls wear sandal like shoes with their gown).

As for make-up, I think that a smokey eye would look great but what if you paired it with a more dramatic lip?

Don't forget that there will be lots of pictures so stay away from anything with glitter and choose and appropriate foundation.

User38

I love the dress! I think it is elegant and appropriate -- the shoes as well. What time is the graduation? If you do a smoky eye try to use some of the bronzy on the middle eyelid as it will pick up some of the colors in the dress (Amber lights or similar). I would do a neutral lip, low gloss since the dress has shine in it
smiles.gif

Lizzie

Thanks HeatherLouWho!

I was wondering about the dress because the ceremony is during the day, but we're going out to dinner afterwards (and I don't wanna change!) I didn't know if the dress was too flashy for daytime.

Should I do a smoky eye and add the dramatic lip for nighttime or wear it all day? I'm afraid it'll rub off and I'm not going to have a purse...

Lizzie

Thanks HerGreyness! I have amber lights and rarely use it. Perhaps this can be my opportunity to
greengrin.gif

HeatherLouWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
Thanks HeatherLouWho!

I was wondering about the dress because the ceremony is during the day, but we're going out to dinner afterwards (and I don't wanna change!) I didn't know if the dress was too flashy for daytime.

Should I do a smoky eye and add the dramatic lip for nighttime or wear it all day? I'm afraid it'll rub off and I'm not going to have a purse...

No problem! The dress will be under a gown so you won't be able to see it and if you are worried about it looking too evening you could wear a cardigan to make it a little more day-time. You just need a guy friend to store your lipstick since they wear suits and suits have pockets
smiles.gif

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLouWho
You just need a guy friend to store your lipstick since they wear suits and suits have pockets
smiles.gif

lol.gif

Lipstick, mirror, maybe pressed powder, camera.... I need a burro with saddlebags!

L1LMAMAJ

I think the dress and shoes are great for a graduation. It's not too formal and not too casual. It's just right! For your makeup, the first thing that popped into my head was a bronzey look with a bit of a smoked out outer v and some simple lips. I think that would look gorgeous on you and not OTT. By the way, congratulations!! I am graduating in June!!

kaliraksha

Yes, definitely congrats! I think it's a good idea to do the more dramatic lips for evening.

I do really like the dress, for me, I would be uncomfortable with that bust line and probably wear a cute short cardigan or bolero type jacked to cover up some boobage... but then again you're also wearing a robe... so it's really about the shoes, hair and makeup.

What are you doing for hair?

Lizzie

L1LMAMAJ, congrats on your graduation!

Kaliraksha,
whenever anything slightly fancy happens, I just throw my hair in hot rollers. Then I think I'm going to bobby pin the cap to my hair...or something? Just so it doesn't fall down...

I'm not proficient in hair-doing. Do you have any suggestions for that?

L1LMAMAJ

I suggest that you don't curl your hair on freshly washed hair cuz it tends to unravel quicker. Wash your hair the night before so it won't be super squeaky clean but not dirty either. Oh and remember hairspray of course! Depending on where the graduation is held, watch out for hot temperatures. I know during my graduation I'll be sweating a river under my robe. xD

Lizzie

Me too! It gets into the upper 90s and sometimes triple digits in the summer
ssad.gif

My poor makeup and hair... the ceremony is outdoors too! Curses!!!

I hope you post pictures of your graduation, I will too!

Where do you go to school? I can't imagine it being too hot in SF. It was sunny during my HS graduation, but not too hot.

nunu

The dress is cute and i love the shoes! I think you should go for smokey eyes and red lips
smiles.gif

Congrats, graduating is an amazing feeling
smiles.gif