im kind of annoyed

queenofdisaster

i posted an FOTD today.. it's called kryptonite, cuz its a green look. yeah, my eyebrows totally suck, but im not trying to show off the damn eyebrows. i posted it on LJ too, and every single comment i got was about my eyebrows. one girl said they were "scary creepy killer clown-ish" yeah, i know, but that's just how they are i can't help it. i seriously think that shit is so rude. ya know? whatever. i'm over it. i laughed at it of course, because when i look at the pics i realize i'm totally doing an impression of "the rock" because when i smile i raise my eyebrows. anywho i just wanted to rant and now i'm done. :p

p.s. she wasn't trying to be rude, she also said my lipcolor was pretty but that the eyebrows were distracting from the good job i did on my makeup, but i guess im just a sensitive crybaby haha!

Beauty Mark

People can be catty sometimes. That's why I like this board. They're not going to tell you that you look good if you don't but they aren't going to be mean about it.

Hawkeye

They really can be catty. That's just how people are. Sometimes you just have to realize that their lives must be so insanely hollow they fell that it is necessary to be that way.

faifai

I usually don't see anything wrong with a genuine, sincerely helpful attempt at constructive criticism. If I saw a makeup look that had gorgeous eyeshadows but no mascara, or bright blush and dry chapped lips, or lovely lipstick and unshaped brows with strays everywhere, I wouldn't think twice before saying something about it.

IMO some things like having a balanced FOTD (which, as a "face of the day", implies that the whole face is done), neat brows, curling lashes, wearing a bit of liner, etc. all do SO much to improve a look overall. I'm not going to be like "omg your furry eyebrows are takin over yo FACE! how do you SEE with that mess?!" to someone but I would say that having more shaped eyebrows would really frame the eyes even more and so on.

On something like a makeup website/forum/etc I'm not bothered if people give this kind of constructive criticism, just because I wouldn't want them to tell me they think it looks great if they don't really feel that it does. I am here to learn and improve, and would love to help others do the same.

Frequently, though, "constructive criticism" is an excuse for people to be vicious. That is uncalled for and completely rude, like the clown comments said to you. Just ignore people like that, they're only trying to bring you down.

Incidentally, which lj makeup community was it? There are a lot and some have much nicer folks than others.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai

Frequently, though, "constructive criticism" is an excuse for people to be vicious. That is uncalled for and completely rude, like the clown comments said to you. Just ignore people like that, they're only trying to bring you down.

I agree. How can "Killer Clownish" and "Scary" be constructive? And I don't think it is right to comment on something that is not being asked for. In this case, you were showing the eyeshadow and the eyebrows were not up for comment. It sounds like her commenting that she wasn't trying to be rude sounds like her trying to save face (and possibly not get banned from a board).

Oh, and I like your eyebrows. I think the arch is cool.

Shimmer

I'm a fan of the "If you can't say something nice keep your mouth shut" adage.
That's just me though.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'm a fan of the "If you can't say something nice keep your mouth shut" adage.
That's just me though.

Pithy and right on the money! Amen!

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
I usually don't see anything wrong with a genuine, sincerely helpful attempt at constructive criticism. If I saw a makeup look that had gorgeous eyeshadows but no mascara, or bright blush and dry chapped lips, or lovely lipstick and unshaped brows with strays everywhere, I wouldn't think twice before saying something about it.

IMO some things like having a balanced FOTD (which, as a "face of the day", implies that the whole face is done), neat brows, curling lashes, wearing a bit of liner, etc. all do SO much to improve a look overall. I'm not going to be like "omg your furry eyebrows are takin over yo FACE! how do you SEE with that mess?!" to someone but I would say that having more shaped eyebrows would really frame the eyes even more and so on.

On something like a makeup website/forum/etc I'm not bothered if people give this kind of constructive criticism, just because I wouldn't want them to tell me they think it looks great if they don't really feel that it does. I am here to learn and improve, and would love to help others do the same.

Incidentally, which lj makeup community was it? There are a lot and some have much nicer folks than others.

not to bring up an old thing, but you have commented on my eyebrows before, but it was in a good way. you gave me something to work on for the next time i posted an FOTD. i appreciated that. but when somebody uses the words "killer clown" ya know, it just doesn't sit right so i don't understand people like that!!!! it was mac_cosmetics.
smiles.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

girl! Ive got what I like to call "balding brows" I have sparse hairs .. and I look stupid. Your lucky to have 2 regular ones!

And IMO you dont look like no 'killa' clown . People just have nothing better to do with their time than pick on stupid shit like eyebrows! ignore 'em

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Janice!
I have always been jealous of your eyebrows.

They just arch so perfectly, I love them!

aww hun! thanks! where have you been? i got your pm a few months ago and i wrote you back. i think it was in the middle of all that hacking crap that happened to the site though so no telling if you got it or not! haha!

tadzio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
girl! Ive got what I like to call "balding brows" I have sparse hairs .. and I look stupid. Your lucky to have 2 regular ones!

And IMO you dont look like no 'killa' clown . People just have nothing better to do with their time than pick on stupid shit like eyebrows! ignore 'em

:dito:

my eyebrows are so thin and sparse that it's the most problematic area. your eyebrows are great, I don't care what anyone says!
cheerleader.gif

Miss Pumpkin

I think the problem is not WHAT people say, but HOW they say it.

I like your eyebrows, they're very arched and yes they're a bit pointy but they suit you and show your style, so don't listen to what meanies say!
winks.gif

little teaser

i have a friend on another makeup board that said they were really mean at LJ, i never visit the site so i dont really know, but they made comments about her weight and said she was lazy when she ask for some help about diet and exercise and i dont get it this girl is so fucking beautiful and only needs to lose a couple pounds not much at all

pss.. Heather your still beautiful your eyebrows are not creepy

faifai

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
not to bring up an old thing, but you have commented on my eyebrows before, but it was in a good way. you gave me something to work on for the next time i posted an FOTD. i appreciated that. but when somebody uses the words "killer clown" ya know, it just doesn't sit right so i don't understand people like that!!!! it was mac_cosmetics.
smiles.gif

Oh man, mac_cosmetics has tons of catty people in it. I never had the nerve to even post anything there, I just lurk and look at other people's posts because I am afraid of them.
ssad.gif

jenii

Well, I wasn't distracted by your eyebrows. They look fine to me! Besides, you were showing off the lovely green eyeshadow you did, so that should have been the focus of people's comments, IMO.

That eyeshadow really was lovely, too.
thmbup.gif

prinzessin784

ugh I stopped posting on LJ for the same reason - a bunch of catty, bitchy teenagers. They're so not worth getting upset over! You are beautiful!!!

moonrevel

I don't think I've even looked at mac_cosmetics on lj for over a year. Those people just rub me the wrong way. If you're ever tempted to be upset by the things that they say, remember that they'll come up with the nastiest things for people who are making an effort to learn how to do their makeup, yet worship at the feet of bitchy people who have some of the sloppiest looking makeup I have ever seen just because they're "popular" on the community. Everyone's got their own individual makeup tastes and I am never one to criticize (I'll say something constructive if I think I can help, but keep my mouth shut if I don't), but I'm not going to tell someone that makeup I personally don't like is the most awesome thing I've ever seen just because I'm scared of getting shamed out of the community by someone's little fan club. Anyway. Rant over.

Don't bother with those catty tools. Stick with specktra!
smiles.gif

Latest posts