I'm moving to Australia!

PinkShell21

Hi everyone!
smiles.gif

I just got accepted into graduate school in Sydney (North Ryde to be exact) and just wanted to know if anyone was from the area. What is there to do and what should I expect (food wise, people wise) weather wise, etc.) I should be there by the end of June or early July!

And...most importantly, where can I find the closest MAC counter?
winks.gif

Thanks
smiles.gif

redambition

wooooooo!
smiles.gif
congratulations!

north ryde isn't too bad in terms of location - there are buses in to chatswood (where the closest MAC counter is, and where you can get trains into the city for more MAC counters and the pro store) and there is the macquarie centre (shopping mall with an ice rink) right near the uni you will be at.

as for weather - june and july is winter here and it is usually fairly cold. (i mean under 20 degress celsius... usually about 10-15 degrees celsius).

if you have any other questions i would be happy to answer them as best i can, and i am sure that the other sydney specktrettes would also be glad to help! PM me if you want to.

smiles.gif

Bec688

Ohhh how exciting! Congrats on getting into uni here. What will you be studying?

I think Redambition has already given you pretty good info already, so I'll just wish you luck and if you have any questions about Sydney in general or surrounding areas, let us know
smiles.gif

~Crystal~

Yay! Congratz!
greengrin.gif

As someone else said above, yup! Macquarie will be your closest 'big' shopping centre... with a few smaller places in between. Unfortunately, there is no MAC there.
Although the Chatswood counter will probably count as the next closest (there are also two large shopping centres in Chatswood), the counter there is small, and (to me) the service is rather unremarkable.
I'd say the best place to look for your MAC would be in the city for sure- either in Myer or DJs, as there is a counter in each (about a 2min walk away from each other), which is cool coz even if one counter is out of stock on one thing, you can always pop over to the other to check!
And the MAs are really nice at both
smiles.gif

You asked about food? Well.. Sydney is well known for being VERY culturally diverse- especially when it comes to food
greengrin.gif
. I think that you should be able to find whatever cuisine you're up for, even if that changes on a daily basis
lol.gif

If you want reccs for any type of food in particular though, feel free to ask
th_wink3.gif

Weather... June and July will be winter. Of course, our winters over here NEVER include snow or anything of the sort... but that doesn't mean that it can't get chilly! The weather has been a bit messed up lately due to global warming and all that, but winter days are generally days of 15 degrees celcius or so
smiles.gif

Hope you have fun over here!

P.S. one more thing!! If you have mac stuff that you want and if it's available over there right now, I'd buy it if I were you!! MAC is VERY expensive over here..
ssad.gif

freckles

Congratulations! Crystal was right about MAC products here being hella expensive compared to that in the U.S.. So get what you can there while you still can! Make sure you check out the nature reserves around that area, when you get the chance to. =) There is one that is on the university grounds I think. YOu get to see lots of Emu's way up close which is cool. Their heads are way to small for their bodies. Lol.

The shopping center closest to the university is just across the road. It's fairly unremarkable, but has some decent stores. If you are going to be living near the campus, all of your daily living needs will be found right there. There is an ice-skating rink in the center too, as well as a movie complex.

Last time I walked around the campus, I recall being surprised by the number of American international students that there were there--so you will likely not feel out of place or alone at all, knowing that there are people around you who are going through exactly the same thing! But people at Macq are very friendly! =)

Best shopping in Sydney for makeup would definitely be the city branches of Myer and David Jones, or other shopping complexes in town. Bondi Westfield is also somewhere you have to go visit some time. Huge shopping center, and fairly new as well. Clothes, same thing.

But tehre are two major factory outlet centers you may want to go look at (clothes only- we have no makeup ones here). Neither of them are all that good (or so I think) but they are well worth the occasional visit. One is at Birkinhead Point, and the other in Homebush (Called DFO).

What will you be studying?

On another note-- as someone living so far away from home, i recommend you stay on campus in college. You'll meet fantastic people and make really tight friendships really quickly. =)

PinkShell21

Aww thanks to everyone who replied! I apologize for not responding sooner but my internet was out for weeks!
ssad.gif

I will be joining the Museum Studies program there as I was an Anthropology major and received my BA in the area
smiles.gif

I just arranged to live on campus so hopefully that works out as I have never lived on my own before! Ahh!

Food is not too much of a concern, I do not get sick easily by different foods but I know it takes some getting used to especially if it is really different from "American" food because you know American food IS a mixture of other cultural foods!
smiles.gif

Thanks again and I shall be there soon!

redambition

yay
smiles.gif
not long to go - it must be so exciting!

food shouldn't be an issue... there is so much diversity in food here, from sushi to african and even tibetan cuisine.
smiles.gif

hope you have a great trip over.

Latest posts