Im scared about my sister

ThiicknSeskii

I really need to tell someone this and get it out...

I recently went through a story on the Australian vogue forum about a boy being teased in McDonalds for being autistic and him agreeing with it all while reading this it broke my heart. that night i went to bed crying

I have a 6 year old Autistic sister. Shes like my best friend im always there for her i do everything for her and we hardly ever fight, I love knowing shes there to talk to me when im upset with my friends my parents myself or just life, she'll come up to me give me a big hug and continue to speak and not make sense but ill still know what it means. I'm way to protective of her and i hate knowing when she grows up shes gonna meet the wrong people and this will happen to her. Shes been called a retart and asked why she couldn't speak in the middle of a play ground and shes had a bunch of 10 year old boys pegging a soft ball at her saying 'she will let you do it, do it' while she was just laughing thinking it was all fun and games i felt like going up to these boys and just chucking a tennis ball at them! these where kids i don't blame them but seeing a older lady in toys r us saying to her partner 'shes a bit behind dont you think' was just immature! I don't understand why people have the need to be such rude and mean cows!

She starts a new school in a few months and im really scared for her i know shes ready, her speech has got along so well shes toilet trained finally and is independent kind of but im worried about the kids there. She has told me shes going to get a job at McDonalds and all my parents do is just laugh and say its not going to happen, well what if she does apply at a fast food place? is she going to get accepted or not what if she does get a job there are the people going to tell her to hurry up and yell at her because they wont know about her autism. She cant just grow up not knowing about money or having no social skills. Im properly over reacting since im not her mother but her big sister but i want her to grow up with a good life knowing not to let people push her around or say rude things to her because shes a bit behind, i wont be there to stick up for her.

Should i stop worrying about her and just tell myself she will be fine?

..kels*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiicknSeskii
She has told me shes going to get a job at McDonalds and all my parents do is just laugh and say its not going to happen, well what if she does apply at a fast food place? is she going to get accepted or not what if she does get a job there are the people going to tell her to hurry up and yell at her because they wont know about her autism. She cant just grow up not knowing about money or having no social skills. Im properly over reacting since im not her mother but her big sister but i want her to grow up with a good life knowing not to let people push her around or say rude things to her because shes a bit behind, i wont be there to stick up for her.

Should i stop worrying about her and just tell myself she will be fine?

i'm so sorry to hear about the cruel people your sister has encountered. i worked at mcdonalds for 3 years & not once did i hear of or see a problem where a disabled individual was teased. in my personal experience, all employees with disabilities were treated with the utmost respect & weren't yelled at or expected to "hurry up" if they were simply moving at their own pace. i know that i can't speak for EVERY mcdonalds, but in most cases the management will not tolerate teasing/belittling of any crew person. i worked with a 20-something year old who had a disability & she was the sweetest most genuine person i've ever met. i loved working with her & so did all the other employees. i'm sure if your sister does decide to work at mcdonalds in the future, you will have nothing to worry about.
smiles.gif
th_hug.gif

Beauty Mark

The world is a cruel, cruel places, regardless of if you're "normal" or not. So many people are so horrible for no reason, and they will find any reason to make fun of you; I spent the better part of my childhood having all sorts of lovely folks make fun of me for being Asian. I'd like to tell you that she isn't going to face some sort of teasing, but I doubt it. However, the way I understand those work programs to function, she'll be surrounded by loving, supportive coworkers.

I think it's great that you want her learn how to live in the real world. Unfortunately, people's terrible behavior is part of it. It hurts, but I'm sure she'll grow from it, especially if you and everyone else in her life assures her that she's fine as is.

Hawkeye

People are jerks plain and simple.

I think the first time I realized this was (and go ahead and laugh) one day I was petting my cat and a friend of mine were making fun of how fat he was and laughing and the cat just continued purring- thinking he was making us happy not realizing we were laughing at him. And at that time I felt so bad I could never say a bad thing about anyone or anything again.

I used to work with special ed kids and one of the things I've noticed when I worked there was that yes, the kids can be cruel but at the same time they will also try to help each other out. Does that make sense?

One day a very highly autistic boy named Jackson started screaming in the middle of the gym class because he was afraid the footballs would hurt him. They were just throwing footballs or something and I'll never forget three of his classmates came up and they really helped him with it.

So for every bad kid there is also going to be a good kid that will try to help them out.

You will have to realize though that your sister will not always have you there to protect her-and I know she will be just fine. *HUGS* But you should help her realize that having tennis balls pelted at her is BAD.

But for the most part- anything that people can make fun of they will and mostly its ignorance and a fear of it more than anything. People have a tendency to make fun of things that scare them because they dont understand it.

BUt it just shows you what jerks they are.

*Luna*

I'm very sorry to hear that. Children are incredibly mean and brutal and don't fully understand what they are doing and the feelings they are causing another human being to experience. I'm really not one for sheltering children from the real world but is there a private school she could attend for her first couple years of school? I am just wondering if it might help her social skills before she heads off to public school. Not saying she has poor social skills but she may be able to learn how to combat certain things... Just a thought. I don't know how sever her autism is... I really do hope the best for her. Bullying is somthing that NO child should ever have to go through.

ThiicknSeskii

Thank you so much for the replys, im starting to not worry about it and know she'll be fine..i guess
smiles.gif

Shes attending a school at the moment that i think isnt great for her, the school we wanted her to go to was full, so they put her into a school with children who cant really speak the teaches told us she was the smartest there, shes got along so well so its fine. I dont think her autism is too sever to go to a private school first? the doctors always tell us different things sometimes its autism sometimes its dyspraxia...its getting confussing.

Hawkeye

The thing with Autism is it is a massive massive umbrella term. so it could very well be autism.
smiles.gif
Don't worry-she will be fine.
greengrin.gif

giz2000

It's great that you are protective of her, but she's going to be fine. Definitely teach her that it's not ok to have people tease her and pelt her with balls (I know that if it had been my sister/daughter at that playground, those boys would have been in a world of hurt!!). Your parents and you can make sure that she learns to defend and take care of herself...hugs to you and your family!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Shes Only 6 years old? She is not even done growing and developing, Shes got sooooo much time to develop new skills,and learn soo many things, Give her some time. Shes gonna be alright.

I know there is another girl on this board who has an autistic brother.Ill try and Dig up her name, perhaps you can talk to her about her experiences.