I'm scared.

Kragey

About 10 minutes ago, I ran downstairs to check the mail. As soon as my older sister saw me heading towards the door, she shouted out, "No letters!"

She's talking about letters from the graduate schools I applied to. I applied to 6 graduate schools--Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Eastern New Mexico University, University of Iowa, Purdue, University of North Dakota, and University of North Texas--and I've only gotten an acceptance back from IUP.

Now, I have been going crazy for the past 6 or 7 months over these applications. I researched schools over the summer and started getting my stuff ready as soon as the semester started. (A lot of my friends thought I was crazy; then when they applied to grad school, they were like, "Man, I should've started when you did, I missed half of my deadlines!" :p) I paid for everything myself, so I ended up spending about 2 months' pay on my applications:

$150 to take the GRE.
$40 for 2 extra GRE score reports.
$24 to order my transcripts.
$20 to copy the necessary paperwork.
$285 in application fees.
$35 to send the first batch by certified mail.
$15 for the second batch (some schools lost stuff).
TOTAL: $569

So applying and getting the money to apply was stressful enough.

Now, let me back up a little here and mention my GRE. When I took practice GRE tests, I was getting 520-560 in math (which I expected; math is not my forte), but I was scoring around 640 on the verbal consistently. The thing is, I am a godawful test taker. When I took the actual test, I hit a word I didn't know and began to panic, so I rushed through all of the questions. That killed my score: I got a 550 on the math and a measly 560 on the verbal, 40 points short of my personal goal of "600+ on verbal." My heart was broken and my pride was hurt.

I thought I would be fine with those scores, because they make the cut-off for all of the schools (just barely, though...), but then I started hearing things from other people. First, a friend of mine from the English department said she'd "only scored a 660" on the verbal and that she'd wished she'd done better...but guys, that's the 96%. A few other majors told me the same thing: they'd scored 600+. To add to my devastation, one of the professors who wrote me letters of rec came over and asked about my GRE scores. "I mean, you ONLY scored a 560. That's not that good." He clearly didn't mean it to sound so nasty, because he added, "I just know from reading your papers that you're WAY above a 560," but it broke my heart.

Hence, for about a month after I sent my GRE scores, I was in a minor panic because my scores were so low. Then people began telling me that the GRE scores are just a cut-off and that they pay more attention to the other parts of your application, which soothed me. I got 5 or 6 letters of rec, which is double what most schools asked for, I sent in two completely different essays that everybody loved, my statement of purpose was strong and stated all of my goals, and I'm graduating Cum Laud for my undergrad.

But now, everybody's getting their acceptances and rejections EXCEPT FOR ME. It's driving me absolutely crazy; I check the mail every day and there's never anything there!!! And people are only making it worse by saying, "Oh, you'll get accepted to every one!" I don't think they realize that it DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. Because not only is it likely that I was rejected from a couple of schools, but it's likely that the ones that accepted me will not provide a teaching assistantship or tuition waiver so that I can afford to go to their schools. I mean, I'm graduating in May...am I not going to know where the Hell I'm accepted until the end of frackin' April?!

Does all of that make sense? LOL! The gist of it is, graduate school applications have driven me to the brink of insanity. I have no clue where I stand right now.

Okay, I know this has been long, but bear with me, there are a few other things that go in with this.

First of all, my parents are driving me CRAZY about this. I only applied to IUP to make my mom happy, because when she heard about where I wanted to apply, she said, "What, no in-state schools?" and would get all upset. Before you guys think I'm bashing a school, my brother goes to IUP for his undergrad and it's a nice school...but I contacted the school about their English graduate program and spoke to professors about it, and they all confirmed my suspicions that it would not be a good fit for me. Still, I applied to make her happy. (And really, what does it say about your grad program if you send out your acceptance and enrollment materials before the deadline's even up?) And now, every time I mention I'm nervous, she gets all "sly" and says stuff like, "Oh, you may just have to take a bunch of loans out and go to IUP!" I don't want to go to IUP just to make her happy! I want to leave western Pennsylvania! I want to grow up! ARGH!
th_wallbash.gif

Then my dad keeps getting on my case about how I applied. I tell him I couldn't afford to retake the GRE and didn't have the free time, he yells at me that he would've paid for it. However, my parents told me to handle graduate school on my own, and I did, including the money aspect, because I'm an adult and the process is long and involved anyway. Last night he was calling me an "elitist" because I said I really don't want to go to IUP, the program's not that great. How is that being elitist?! It's not a good fit for me and to be quite frank, it's not a great program! No school is 100% perfect, okay?!

The last thing that's bothering me is the fear. The fear of leaving a place I've always known and going somewhere brand new, where I know nobody and have no clue where anything is. I mean, my undergrad sucked for the first month or two because I had the worst roommates known to man (but that's another story) and they made my life a living Hell to the point where I almost dropped out. I eventually found friends, and I've done well here, but I'm going to be 22 and in a whole new place with NO ONE. I've been looking up posts about what it's like to live in these places (IE, I Google "What's it like to live in Iowa City?"), and I've checked up on what housing options are available to me, but still. It's goddamn frightening. I don't even know how to drive, but I'm going to have to when I go to graduate school.

My whole point is that I'm just absolutely terrified, mainly because I'm going to a strange new place and because I may not get enough financial aid, but nobody seems to understand. And when they try to comfort me, they just make it worse.
ssad.gif

InspiredBlue

The rest of it can't really comment on, since I reside in a completely different academic climate. But as far as being in a new place as a student goes - don't stress, you will be fine. Most of the people around you will be in the same situation. And there's always groups or organisations you can join to meet people with similar interests or backgrounds or whatever the group in question gathers around. It will be fine, it will be more than fine, it will be great. Getting out on your own is wonderful.
th_hug.gif

purrtykitty

I can't comment on a whole lot either, but I didn't get my grad school acceptance until May. Some of the really large schools just take a lot of time to respond because of the sheer volume of applications.

Good luck, and I hope you get into the school you want!

obscuria

This was me last year. Graduate applications have a way of making you feel crazy and also second-guessing yourself and your skills. My roommate and I at the time did our grad school applications together, applying to different schools. By the end of the day we felt so worthless, you have no idea.

Some of the schools I didn't hear back from until summer, so don't panic too much if you haven't heard anything yet. I think I heard back from my current graduate school in April or May.

It is what it is and it's natural to feel nervous about your status at each school.

GRE scores are important, but so are your university grades, letters of recommendations, coursework and overall experience in your academia. For my major (research psychology) the verbal didn't mean anything pretty much, but the math portion was weighted heavily. I was lucky to have had a lot of research experience as well.

I don't make a lot of money so I know how important trying to get a scholarship/financial aid is. I also know some people that simply will not go to a school if they can not get a scholarship or grant. It's not the end of the world though if you don't get one. While many don't want to, student loans are always an option if financial aid is not available or not enough. You have to think about it in terms of how much your education is worth in comparison to taking out some loans during your grad years.

I know a lot of universities now like to announce acceptance/rejection online before sending out letters, so you might want to see if they are available online.

Anyway, hope you hear from some of the schools soon.

As far as the fear of leaving what you know, I totally get that. I spent my undergrad in San Diego, then I had to just up and leave for the bay area. I felt like I was leaving everything that I was just getting to really know up and down. It sucks, but unless you were to stay at your undergrad college, it's something that has to happen.

LMD84

th_hug.gif
i'm sorry that you are so stressed right now. i can't comment on the school issues because in the uk things work quite differently. however i know that i would be jumping for the post everyday to see if any letters came. perhaps if you are really worried you could call one of the schools you have applied to? or will they not accept calls like that?

as far as going to a new place though, you should be excited and not scared. think about all the new interesting people you will meet. some you'll grow to love and some you'll hate. it's always scary moving out on your own like that, but after a while you will start to enjoy yourself. plus many others are going to be in the same boat and scared too! just be yourself and things will work out great for you
smiles.gif

jazm1n3s

I'm applying to grad school myself for Fall semester and I also haven't heard anything from them yet.

About the GRE thingy, I'm in the same situation with you, because I'm afraid my score is not enough to get in (although universities never have GRE requirement), but I really don't want to retake it again
ssad.gif

If you're really concerned about your GRE scores, you can take it again, even though the deadline has passed. I even have a friend who already got a rejection letter, but she re-took the GRE test, and then got an acceptance letter from the same university. So you definitely can do it.

Good luck!

Kragey

"University of Iowa -- Admission Decision: Not Accepted"

Okay, I have officially gone from scared to terrified.

MissCrystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey

aww don't worry you still have the other schools. But yeah bigger schools take a lot longer for them to proccess things .. I hope you get into one
winkiss.gif

LMD84

Quote:

sweetie please try and stay calm. that is just one school out of the many you applied to. chances are you will get at least one offer. so for the moment keep trying to stay calm and positive. this one rejection doesn't mean the rest will be.
th_hug.gif

obscuria

Quote:

Aren't you accepted at IUP though?
Don't fret, at least you have one that you know is an option so far.

purrtykitty

Quote:

Aww, I'm so sorry.
th_hug.gif
Don't lose hope as you still have some outstanding applications. And if your dad is still offering, perhaps you could take the GRE again.

iaisha26

Sorry to hear of Iowa's decision. This happens more than you know in the world of "post graduate" education. People are turned down to schools, fail professional examines etc. It take time, don't worry.

I received my BBA from Temple; I graduated with a 3.27 and didn't make into their MBA program. I went to Villanova instead. My brother had to take the bar twice...these things happen. Don't strees about it.

Best Wishes

InspiredBlue

If worst comes worst, you could work for a year and try to better your chances of getting in by taking that test again. I'm 24 and I'm still an undergrad student because 2 years into a 4,5 year law programme (it's sort of undergrad+grad, things are different here), I decided to drop out and go to business school. Only I needed a math course from high school that I hadn't taken to be eligible. I took a test to get a grade in the course, but I didn't get the highest grade, thus ruining my straight A high school transcript and I didn't get in. I took a year off and worked and got in the next year. While it can be annoying sometimes to be a 24-yearold among 20-yearolds, I know that in the grand scheme of things it's worth it because I will be doing what I want for the rest of my career.

Taking a year off and working and putting money aside might also help with the financial aspect of things.

abbyquack

I have a friend that applied for tons of Med schools and didn't get accepted to a single one. I don't say this to scare you, I say this to say he is OK after that. He didn't die, his life isn't over, and you will be OK too. Would it suck? Sure. But would you still be able to live a successful life? Absolutely. Either way, you will be okay. You can re-take the exam and try again, or maybe grad school isn't your bag, and that's okay too. Just remember to follow your own heart and do what YOU want to do. Because at the end of the day there's no way you can always please yourself and others. Good luck love and keep us posted!
heart.gif

Zephyra

There is some great advice on this thread already, so I will just chime in for moral support:

I have watched many friends go through the grad school/med school/b school/law school application hell and have now had the "pleasure" of going through it myself. The effort involved sucks, the waiting sucks, the price tag sucks, and being constantly filled with anxiety definitely sucks. So sorry!!! I didn't cut it as a grad school applicant straight out of undergrad, so I flew across the country to a city where I knew nobody and somehow found a job (any job! I needed a paycheck!) and things worked out. In retrospect, I could have taken many paths that would have eventually led to the same place, and the difference between finishing grad school at 30, 35, 40, or 60 really has diminished with age for me, because I'm figuring out how to work on my other life goals at the same time and I love what I do both professionally and as a student.

I most definitely hope you receive good news this cycle! But even if you need to or decide to take additional time, there will be benefits and opportunities to working, meeting new people, and having new experiences that will make you a stronger candidate in the next cycle or introduce entirely new (and presumably more exciting) career options. Hang in there...the application process is horrible. If you can survive it, you will eventually find success.