Im so confused about college...

Pink_minx

I dont know if Im even in the right place. I feel that majoring in business isnt what I really want to do. Im so so confused on what to do, I dont want to waste time and money on school. Its good to go to college but I dont know if its the right major I want. There are so many careers out there that I want to do I just dont know what to choose. Im so stressed out blah! I really want to work in the beauty and fashion industry but where should i start!? There isnt a lot of schools that focuses mainly on that where I live. I dont know have any of you felt this way before or is feeling this way right now just so confused! and so undecided! ugh my brain is gonna fry now.

pumpkincat210

Don't worry! its totally normal to change your major when you are in college! Business (to me)sounds a little boring.. unless i could relate it to something.. like mac (lol)..
So it sounds like you want to do the fashion/beauty industry.. you should talk to your counselor. Most likely they will have courses at most community colleges or bigger colleges.

Pink_minx

Im just afraid that my family wont accept it. They feel that if I graduate from a 4 year college having a degree in business, it will give me more job opportunities and i will make more money from it. I know that for sure but its not what im really looking for and its just not me. I like to look into helping people and making them feel beautiful about themselves.

mel0622

oh my gosh yeah! lol i felt like that one time. i told my older cousin about it and she said. that the 1st 3 years of college is just really the basics like english, math, etc. but yeah you can change ur major anytime! i would just do the basics for 3 yrs and then decide.

or take a yr. off and think. travel europe, take up a different job w/ something ur interested in. if u find something you like then take up that as ur major. HTH
wavey.gif
good luck!

caffn8me

From my own experiences the best advice I can give is to do a subject you actually enjoy. If you find yourself doing a subject you hate just because you think there's a career at the end of it you'll just end up miserable and won't do well.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
From my own experiences the best advice I can give is to do a subject you actually enjoy. If you find yourself doing a subject you hate just because you think there's a career at the end of it you'll just end up miserable and won't do well.

Yes! you have to let your passion take you away, lol.

iiifugaziii

i feel ya... trust me. I go to cal state long beach and I was a transfer. I always feel like I'm the only kid there who doesn't know what the hell I'm doing. I have absolutely no motivation to go. I was a music major for a year, and you HAVE to be in love with the instrument you major in, and i'm not. so i'm not going to do it anymore. so I have no idea what to do now. i wasted a year already and now I didn't register last semester b/c of a writing test I have to take since I'm a transfer. so I haven't even been in school. I feel like a loser. I hate it. I guess I'll do psychology. but I'm not into anything any school has to offer. so i have no idea what i'm going to do.

Pink_minx

thanks for the advice girls, iiifugaziii I feel the same way, i have no motivation to go to school either. But I HAVE to, I just talked to my mom about it and she said that I NEED to stay in college and get a degree from a 4 year college THEN i can do whatever I want. Bleh I guess I just have to major in something else besides business, maybe like nursing, or health or something. There isnt much to choose from this college. Im just taking the basics for now but for some reason it just got me thinking really hard about what I want to do in the future. its hard!

modernclassics

I'm sort of in the same situation as you...but I'm attending college in Europe (moved from N. America) and the system works a bit differently here. Apparently, it's A-Levels when you still decide what to do so when you're 1st year you jump straight into business modules (without classes from other departments like English, Maths etc).

When I applied for business studies...my parents pretty much nudged me into it. I was considering history, or sociology as well...but they told me taking business would be a 'safer' option. In the end I relented...

It's not that I hate my course...some of it is interesting like business analysis (I analyzed GucciGroup
lol.gif
) but I'm not passionate about it like I thought I would be.

Anyway, sorry I don't have better advice for you. All I can say is go ahead and change your major if you're not happy since you can. It's waay more difficult here so I guess I'll stick it out for 3 years (looking forward to 3rd year marketing though).

Good luck~

Hawkeye

Well your mom is right. Speaking from my own experience I can tell you that the jobs that don't require a College Education are rapidly dissappearing.

HOWEVER, I can tell you that originally I wanted to be in the beauty field as well but I went to school didnt know what I was doing (I mean seriously I went from Business, Communications, Education to now Science?!?) and I made the biggest mistake of my life that not a lot of people harp on to ensure that it's what is properly done so I will try to drill it in your head.

The best thing you can do (and I totally understand about not being motivated) is when your in college DO NOT declare a major right away. NO. BAD. Instead take the required Core first.
smiles.gif
That's a good thing. That way you can experience the beginning of each field and decide if it's right for you.

I didn't do that I went to each of those majors taking the harder courses first without taking the core. The only one I'm doing it "right" in is Science. I never in a million years dreamed I would be a Biology major. Never! But if it hadn't been for that stupid science course I had to take I would've never been fascinated with it. Know what I'm sayin?

So I promise I'm not being ugly and I do understand where your coming from just take a deep breath and just consider college as a mild inconvience thats really only temporary
smiles.gif

sbetsy

Your undergraduate degree won't dictate what you do for the rest of your life - I promise. My undergraduate degree was in social theory (what?) and then I worked as a: ballet dancer, cocktail waitress, tour guide at the national gallery (audio tours), bartender, admin. assistant to the treasurer at Amtrak, used book store manager, teacher. Now I'm in graduate school (behavior analysis - psychology) earning a PhD. The point is really to get through school and build the foundation for later. Best wishes!

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
i feel ya... trust me. I go to cal state long beach and I was a transfer. I always feel like I'm the only kid there who doesn't know what the hell I'm doing. I have absolutely no motivation to go. I was a music major for a year, and you HAVE to be in love with the instrument you major in, and i'm not. so i'm not going to do it anymore. so I have no idea what to do now. i wasted a year already and now I didn't register last semester b/c of a writing test I have to take since I'm a transfer. so I haven't even been in school. I feel like a loser. I hate it. I guess I'll do psychology. but I'm not into anything any school has to offer. so i have no idea what i'm going to do.

Not all of our paths are direct lines from point A to point B. That doesn't mean that you don't get to point B eventually. Take care and you are NOT a loser.

Pink_minx

thanks girls...I guess I was just in a lot of stress because most people I know already know what they are going to do and it just made me feel like I was lost ya know. But I should just take things day by day and not stress over it too much because I still have another year or two to finish my general courses then after that pick whatever major I want to be in. But I guess just because I pick that major doesnt mean I cant do other things as well. I can major in business and find a job that is totally different from that. DUH! all this stress is making me go crazyyyy.

Pink_minx

i was going to get into fidm, I was even getting interviewed over the phone about it but I had to tell them I changed my mind because my parents wouldn let me go to school there
ssad.gif
they wanted me to graduate in a four year college.

kaliraksha

I can totally relate with you, iiifugaziii! I've been down that road already... and I'm 21 now so I need to start figuring it out... now I'm majoring in Psychology... and I like it a lot. Although to the original poster.... just hang in there... I figured I would study something I like instead of something that has a good outcome... happiness is key!