I'm so confused about concealers, please help?

staceb1990

I'll start from the beginning. I'm a complete MAC newbie, and my first MAC purchases were the Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NW20 and the Studio Finish Concealer in NW20. At first I loved these both, but once I looked closer I realized that they both looked orange on me. I sent them back and repurchased the Studio Fix Powder in NW15, and that seems to be working fine. My dilemma is choosing a concealer. I'm only going to be using it for my freakishly red acne scars, and my blemishes. I've used the live chat a couple of times and asked their opinions, but I've recieved mixed answers. One person said to use NC15 to neutralize the red, but another person told me that the NC foundations tend to be lighter then NW's, so I should go with NC20. Another person told me to stick with NW15. I'm just generally confused.

To summarize my question, I'm usually a NW15 in their foundations, but I need a concealer that will cover my redness. Should I go with NC or NW, and should I stick with 15 or go to 20?

PS. This is my first specktra post, but I love reading the forums and getting incredible tips and advice
smiles.gif

EDIT!!! I forgot to add that going to a mac store isn't an option. The closest one too me is about 3 hours away

Sanayhs

First off, none of the live chat people are specifically wrong. It's a pain in the bottom to properly match things. If going to a counter/store is an option, do that and try things on there/get some samples. If not, I'd probably try the NW15 first, as Studio Finish is intended to be a full coverage concealer, and as such you want it to blend in with the rest of your face, you know?

wifey806

hmm... well the NWs are naturally already pinky-beige, so they're not going to counteract any redness. Perhaps the MUA who recommended sticking with an NW was also suggesting something full coverage (ie Studio Finish concealer). I'm ASSUMING she was thinking just literally "cover it up"... not "conceal" it?

The NC will be a little more yellow. Ideally, you'd get a green-based concealer (Physician's Formula at the drug store has one). If I were u, I'd get NW for under my eyes (to counteract the blue tinge under our eyes), and either NW or NC for discoloration on the face.

NW20 concealer will be too dark for you. Either NW15 (they have it in Select Cover-up) or NC20 would be my guesses for you. Go try in the store though!! lol

For your reference:
foundatcolors2.jpg

user79

I agree with Twinkle. MAC doesn't make a propper corrector, you need a color corrector in a slightly green tone to cancel out red, you would do this underneath foundation. Graftobian, Ben Nye, MUFE all make good corrector palettes...

Forget MAC concealers, honestly, they aren't going to work for your issue at all.