IMATS LA 2014

thejwlife

I want to go. Planning for a wedding, though... maybe I'll make it part of the budget. I'd love to hear about experiences too. From what I've read, it gets pretty hectic.

janineios

I want to go. Planning for a wedding, though... maybe I'll make it part of the budget. I'd love to hear about experiences too. From what I've read, it gets pretty hectic.
I've seen some vlogs and it does look like there's a lot going on. Definitely looks like a good time though. I think it'd be pretty cool to meet some beauty gurus!

purplerinne

I went last year and if possible stay at the Sheraton Pasadena..it's connected to the convention center so no need to pay for parking. PLUS if u buy too much u can easily go back to your hotel room and drop off your stuff and go back in.

Now, it's freakin overwhelming SO i suggest u "study" the map and highlight the vendors u want to see the most. MAC, Sigma, OCC, Sugarpill, all the popular ones will have lines and guarantee to sell out on items. So if you want any of the popular brand ones i suggest u hightail it to that vendor right when u get in the doors. I was in line outside for maybe an hour or so and by the time I got to those booths it was pretty packed. Some are more organized than others...line vs a cluster of people. One of the most underrated booths is Naimis or something like that. Different brands like Mercier, Smashbox, Too Faced for 40% off!!! Plus what they do is grab the items for you, put it in a clear bin and hold it for 2 hours while u can either look for more stuff to add OR wait in line to check out.

I unfortunately can't go this year since Justin Timberlake has a concert that weekend and I scored amazing seats but if you have any questions, u can PM me....have a GREAT time!!!

Tashaboo

I went last year and if possible stay at the Sheraton Pasadena..it's connected to the convention center so no need to pay for parking. PLUS if u buy too much u can easily go back to your hotel room and drop off your stuff and go back in.

Now, it's freakin overwhelming SO i suggest u "study" the map and highlight the vendors u want to see the most. MAC, Sigma, OCC, Sugarpill, all the popular ones will have lines and guarantee to sell out on items. So if you want any of the popular brand ones i suggest u hightail it to that vendor right when u get in the doors. I was in line outside for maybe an hour or so and by the time I got to those booths it was pretty packed. Some are more organized than others...line vs a cluster of people. One of the most underrated booths is Naimis or something like that. Different brands like Mercier, Smashbox, Too Faced for 40% off!!! Plus what they do is grab the items for you, put it in a clear bin and hold it for 2 hours while u can either look for more stuff to add OR wait in line to check out.

I unfortunately can't go this year since Justin Timberlake has a concert that weekend and I scored amazing seats but if you have any questions, u can PM me....have a GREAT time!!!
Thank you soo much.. i am super excited.. I want Kaoir, mac, occ, limecrime, sugarpill and cozzette brushes. I can't think of any other ones for now... but i can't wait till I get there. That sounds great about Justin Timblake.. I know he is gonna give a great performance!!

I'm going! It's another (great) excuse to fly back to CA. Anyways, they released the exhibitors list & map on the website so I'm trying to come up with a good shopping plan ahead of time. Let me know if you want to get together during the weekend ([email protected]) ! Also, I've been looking at other bloggers' IMATS hauls from previous years to see what I'd be interested in shopping for, it helps if you're OCD about planning.

janineios

I'm definitely going to have to draw up a game plan. I have quite a few exhibitors I want to check out! I have been trying to find info on the prices of items to see if they're always lower than regular price, because there's some stuff I want to try out and have been debating whether or not to order online!

jaeljasmine

I went to LA in 2012 and Vancouver in 2013. The best thing I can tell you is steer clear of the MAC line. You'll waste so much time there. Take advantage of Inglot and Ardell. STOCK UP! I saved so much money. And then check out novelty types like Lime Crime. They're super fun. If there are up and comers that you're interested in, figure that out before hand and spend some time with them getting to know the product. Unlike Inglot, MAC etc, the up and comers WANT to spend time talking to you and informing you about their product. Just don't waste your time visiting booths of companies that you can buy their product anywhere. And oh my goodness, stock up on brushes. I got some killer deals!

Remember part of the experience you paid for is to play in makeup and see all these Representatives - the other part you pay for is to get discounts on products. Make the $35-70 you spent work for you. Make it worth your while.

My first trip, I failed at that. MISERABLY. Don't make my mistake!!

jaeljasmine

Oh... And focus on day one. By day two, the stuff you may want to buy (that you can't get elsewhere without paying for expensive shipping) will be sold out.
I.e., Eve Pearl salmon concealer if you're into that sort of thing.

jaeljasmine

Man I'm trying to get my plan of action together.. its crazy..
You can do it!!
Do you have anything in particular you want to see? When I went, I was dying to check out young blood, sugar pill and lime crime. Ardell was a surprise. I think I got like 15 sets of lashes for $6? I can't remember but I do remember thinking holy crap. What a steal! And the glue came free. And the ladies there were super sweet. They applied a set of lashes free and complimented me profusely on my eyes. So...of course...they were awesome. Cheap lashes and flattery = winning.

TheLadyDanger

I plan on going this January. My suggestion to first timers -- plan out ahead of time which vendors you'd like to visit first. The lines are going to be long and you will have to wait so preparation is key. Make a list of the items you would like to purchase. Be prepared to be told some item(s) may have sold out (I experienced this with Make Up For Ever). Bring cash with you as some vendors may only be accepting cash. Wear comfortable shoes and there are a lot of places to eat there (across the street or you may go to Old Town Pasadena). Also, parking can be a hassle so be there before the doors open to the public.

I don't know if MAC is doing this for IMATS next year (I know they did this for PHAMExpo this past summer), but they handed out 20% off cards for an entire purchase at the MAC store in Old Town Pasadena. Never have they done this at IMATS, but let's hope they do so, because the MAC booth at IMATS and PHAMExpo only sold Pro items (and not the entire Pro line at that).