Immature gripe about YouTube videos

Kragey

Okay, so I know this is REALLY immature, but...it drives me CRAZY when people do reviews or hauls and can't pronounce even the most basic product names! I'm not talking about crazy names, like "$$$," or if English is not your first language, I'm talking about people who are like, "Oh, I can't pronounce this!" then show the product label to the camera, and it's like, "WTF, you couldn't pronounce 'Tibetan'?"

I know it sounds immature, but it REALLY gets to me; I feel like it happens way too much. If you don't know how to pronounce something, look it up before you do a frackin' video on it!

And sometimes, the words people can't pronounce blows my mind. Granted, I've read profusely my entire life and I'm a lit major, so I have a relatively extensive vocabulary (not bragging, that's just how I ended up), but some of them are RIDICULOUS! I've seen recent videos where people couldn't pronounce "cherub," "tally," or "serpentine." Aaaaaaagh!

EDIT: sitting through a video where the girl just pronounced "talc" "tal-ick." Also, she claims she's going to start making her own makeup line, but she clearly doesn't know ANYTHING about color theory ("Why would they give me so many yellows?"), she seems to think pure ingredients are "eyeshadows," and every time a scientific word pops up (a la "silica" or "stearate") she goes, "I dunno what the heck that is." You're cute, but I certainly won't be buying anything you make. Ish.

blazeno.8

Lool. We all have our pet peeves. I don't mind variations in the pronunciation of the eyeshadow "Orange" or "Plumage". But honestly, some of the things I've heard for "Gesso"... maybe it's because I use acrylic gesso?

I am however very sympathetic if you are reviewing a product that's name is in a different language, if you are making a tutorial/review in a different language, or if you just have a different accent or dialect than me.

LMD84

hee hee! i just laugh it off when people can't pronounce things. i don't let stuff like that get to me. i hate it when people say 'like' and 'um' to much... and also when they seem to take an age to get out a sentence! that's not just on yourtube though! that's in real life!!

Kragey

Oh, I don't mind accents or anything like that, nor do I mind pronouncing stuff with different pronunciations however you feel comfortable (like Kevyn Aucoin's name). That's all fine, like I said. I just hate it when people stumble over REALLY basic words. Like TALC. Uuuuugh! Google it, dictionaries will provide you with pronunciations!

I'm not saying they so much pronounce it "differently," so much as they look at it and have clearly never seen these words before. "Cher...sher...sher-ahb?" AAAAGH.

anita22

I hear ya... it makes me cringe too. I do of course understand if English is not someone's first language, or if perhaps someone has difficulty reading in general. But anyone who has no excuse, will have my disapproval, hehe
winks.gif
I feel the same when people put apostrophes in the wrong place when they write, I just want to get in there and correct it! I hope it doesn't make me a bad person, just an anal one
smiles.gif

ashk36

Things mentioned above drive me insane as well!! Although, I have been guilty of the same indiscretions while having a particularly stinky brain fart. I see the word but it just doesn't register immediately. Along the same lines as some of your peeves: your, you're, there, their, they're. COME ONNNNN!!!!!!!!

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
^^I think it was a joke Kragey
tong.gif

Dude, this stuff is no joke! "Gesso" is perhaps the most abused word in the MAC language!
th_LMAO.gif

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
Lool. We all have our pet peeves. I don't mind variations in the pronunciation of the eyeshadow "Orange" or "Plumage". But honestly, some of the things I've heard for "Gesso"... maybe it's because I use acrylic gesso?

There's more than one way to say "orange" ??? LOL

I say 'Plumage' like plooo-maj ... I hope that's right hahaha

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
Things mentioned above drive me insane as well!! Although, I have been guilty of the same indiscretions while having a particularly stinky brain fart. I see the word but it just doesn't register immediately. Along the same lines as some of your peeves: your, you're, there, their, they're. COME ONNNNN!!!!!!!!

I seriously hate that as well. OMFG total M-Effin pet peeve.
I remember in middle school my friends stop passing notes to me because I would always cross out their misspellings, and correct it
th_LMAO.gif

I also hate when people just write one long as sentence, no comma, no period. WTF!!! ARRRRGGGHHH I need to become a teacher!

Edit : Lou, you're killing me over here. I say 'like' all the time
ssad.gif
haha

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY

Well there are several different ways to say "orange" in American English. Some people say it with two syllables, others say it with just one. Some people say something more like "AH-rinj" but I have more of an "o" in my pronunciation. I've heard some people at MAC try to Francophone it up by making it two syllable and saying something more like "or-ANJ".

"Plumage" is one that I say just like when I use it referring to a bird's feathers. I would never say "the bird's ploo-MAJ", but there are plenty of people on YT and in stores who will say "ploo-MAJ". Once again, trying to make it sound more French (or so I suspect).

Sorry, this is no IPA, but I hope it's clear enough.

Boasorte

^^^^ eeekkk so I was saying it wrong? Oh dear
Okay, now I know what you mean about orange. I pronounce it like " R-ringe" but I'm thinking that's because I have a northern accent. I've noticed people in other regions say 'or-ringe'.
smiles.gif

Edit: I was just looking at ur blog, damn girl, you're sexaaaayyyy!!!
smiles.gif

Kragey

Quote:

In German, you say "or-awnj," which is borrowed from French. People with accents do it a good bit.

You can say "ploo-muhj" or "plum-ahj," or some variation therefore, depending on your dialect.
smiles.gif

Again, I'm not talking so much about dialects. I'm talking about people who look at the labels on their products and are like, "Uh, I don't know this word," and it's something common or easily found in the dictionary, but they often try to pronounce it anyway and butcher it.

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
In German, you say "or-awnj," which is borrowed from French. People with accents do it a good bit.

When you mentioned German I started thinking in terms related to German orthography and I was thinking "or-avny"??? Then I realized it was still in reference to English orthography... oops.
blush-anim-cl.gif

Other than that I find this thread quite entertaining.
drama.gif

blazeno.8

Quote:
^^^^ eeekkk so I was saying it wrong? Oh dear
Okay, now I know what you mean about orange. I pronounce it like " R-ringe" but I'm thinking that's because I have a northern accent. I've noticed people in other regions say 'or-ringe'.
smiles.gif

Edit: I was just looking at ur blog, damn girl, you're sexaaaayyyy!!!
smiles.gif

Well I mean, for this one it's not really wrong vs right.
Other than that, I'm also from the North, but I say it a different way. Your pronunciation might be more of a midwestern & southern one, but I'm not sure because I haven't found any interest in looking up isoglosses for the pronunciation of "orange" in the US. It might be like "pop" vs "soda" thing? Who knows.

PS. Thanks. I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it at this point other than playing around and doing requests.

abbyquack

Since we're on the topic of grammatical errors, I have been looking at job applications today, and there were 2 applicants in general that submitted sloppy applications- didn't even bother capitalizing their name, typos, spelling errors...well, I thought I'd call them anyways, just to see what kind of people they were, and sure enough, I regretted calling both of them! They were both not ideal candidates. So, from now on I am going to ignore any applications where there's no effort. Sad but true. It's totally one thing if you're just online or in a casual conversation but not for a job application! lol.