Importance of Eyeshadow Base Color?

So I'm trying to recreate a specific look (this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TQolVbF3kI) but the principle applies generally, I foresee lots of experimenting in my future lol.

How important is the eyeshadow base color?

For instance, MAC Brulee. Everybody seems to love it, but I like to 'see' the makeup I'm putting on. Light neutrals, I keep packing them on and can't tell if it's contributing to the look or if I'm even doing anything. So I've been focusing on buying the crease/contour shades I really like and just sticking whatever cream color is handy as a base. I also use Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden. Does the base really make a difference? Is it worthwhile to splurge on something like MAC Brulee or can I skimp on such a pale shade without much visible difference??

shellygrrl

Staff member
A matte shade close to your skintone is handy to have for blending/diffusing purposes, or even as a browbone highlight, but if you're starting with an eyeshadow primer, you don't always need another coloured base on top of that, IMO.

Quote:Originally Posted by shellygrrl

A matte shade close to your skintone is handy to have for blending/diffusing purposes, or even as a browbone highlight, but if you're starting with an eyeshadow primer, you don't always need another coloured base on top of that, IMO.

Thanks for your reply! I'm still learning how to blend, I think I've actually got hold of a pretty good matte neutral shadow for my skin (NYX I Have a Headache, weird name though). Good idea about using the eyeshadow primer as a base too.

beautygambit

I agree. If you are using a primer you don't really need a base. Another good color I like to use to help blend and get rid of harsh lines is Malt. It looks a lot darker in the pan but goes on light.