Impressing the bosses...anyone?

MACtastic

I'm a seasonal at Sephora right now, and I'm so excited to be working there! Thing is, I really want this job as a permanent position, and I don't know how to go about it. There are a ton of other seasonal girls, and I honestly don't know how to make myself stand out. I feel so overwhelmed with learning about all the different brands and products, and I'm scared that, because I'm having a bit of trouble, I might not be offered a permanent position. The Store Director said that she keeps around 85% of seasonal hires, so the odds are good, I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

amoona

Ok so I totally rock at kissing ass haha but I'm not one of those evil ass kissers that everyone hates.
winks.gif
Basically just be really super nice with all your co-workers and your managers. Go out of your way to constantly ask if anyone (customers and co-workers) need help with anything. Constaly interact with your manager, like for example if you guys get in a new product brag about how excited you are about it and stuff.

Ask your co-workers for help too, tell them you want to learn any and everything. Believe me everyone talks and if they like you they'll make sure the manager knows.

I know when I worked for Wells Fargo (2 LOOOOONG years) my manager would always ask me what I thought of someone when they came in for an interview or like after their first week or two at our branch. There were three employees that EVERYONE hated because they never did anything and we're super rude to us and eventually one of them got caught slipping and the other two got transfered out. So just make sure you do your part and more

Shimmer

Having experience as a manager, I can only say

*do your job
*do it well
*do it with a good attitude
*offer no excuses when you DO mess up (and you will)
*always ask for more responsibility than you have
*never get involved with ANY kind of drama with your coworkers. None. Not ANY.
*keep your work life and your social life seperate
*have fun!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

*do your job
*do it well
*have fun!

Totally agree 100%...be the employee everyone (managers and staff) loves to have around, and you will have no problems getting hired permanently.

NikkiHorror

Quote:

These two are so hard for me since our store is slow. If I was working at a MAC counter/store I'd be busy all day and wouldn't bother with talking!!!
lol.gif

Beauty Mark

I'm going to guess you have sale goals, right? Go way over them.

Be polite and say hi to your mangers when you see them

Show that you're willing to learn. Products are going to change, as well as lines.

redambition

Quote:

*do your job
*do it well
*have fun!

that's it in a nutshell. other tips - write yourself cheat sheets for things if you are able to, and work on learning the till, the products and prices etc. someone who wants to know about and understand their work is such a great thing.

in retail, also try to be aware of where you are, who can see you and what sort of impression you are offering people - be they colleagues or customers. someone who is standing there looking cranky and/or bored is not going to be portraying a positive image which makes you approachable as an SA. it can be difficult, especially if you are having the day from hell, but put any bad customers or experiences behind you immediately (to address/think about later if need be) and put that smile on, looking forward to helping the next person find exactly what they're after and getitng them to look stunning.

(of course if there's something that you feel you have to bring up with a manager straight away, then don't ignore it. bite the bullet).

smiles.gif

MACtastic

Thanks loves for all your great advice! I have work tomorrow, so I will most definitely use these tips!