Interesting article about outlet malls...

purrtykitty

I usually only hit up 3 or 4 stores, the CCO, J. Crew, Coach, and Banana Republic. At Coach, J. Crew, or BR, if I buy anything, I only buy if there's an additional markdown. I try really hard not to get trapped into the outlet madness of buying just because it's an outlet. But I have found some really cute things that I wear frequently, so based on cost-per-wear, I've gotten great deals!

abbyquack

Yea this is all pretty true- when you go into an outlet it is clear
that most of the stuff is made just for the outlet store. And most of the time the quality is severely lacking. I honestly just go to the outlet for CCOs.

Meisje

There's an outlet next to me (I live in Canada) that has lots of great finds. The stuff there is leftover stuff from chain stores; it's not stuff made just for the outlet.

bumblebees24

I like going to the CCOs but sometimes the product has been sitting on the shelf for so long, it's in bad condition. Like a really smelly lipglass I got one time. The Lancome outlet is a great place to visit. Sometimes they have $5 lipsticks, $20 foundations, shu uemura palettes for $10 bucks!!

abbyquack

^^ so true, I sometimes get grossed out by the things that are there, mostly the testers. But then again I have lipstick from 2003 that I would still use.

hello_kitty

I always liked the Converse outlets... who doesn't love a $19 pair of Chucks that sell for $50 normally?!
smiles.gif
Sometimes the shoes they sell there for cheap are "B quality," but when I compare "B" ones to my ones I paid full retail for, I could never find the flaws. So I was fine with that. They're cheap tennis shoes, so I'm not expecting miracles.

I've also bought stuff at the Puma (LOVE it... got $120 shoes for $35), Columbia, and Yankee Candle ones. And of course CCOs. Never really poked around too many other ones. I really don't buy for the sake of buying because something is cheap. Except at a CCO, heh.

Sass

I'm a fitness fanatic and I buy all of my gear from Nike and Under Armour outlet stores and they are the same apparel that are that Sports Authority and Modell's...I save big in these two stores. I also save big at the Coach outlet store as well. I bought a purse at Macy's once and a year later it was at the outlet. Same purse so I shop at the outlet for my Coach bags. At the CCO I look for quads, blushes, MSFs, brushes and palettes mostly. I only bought one Fafi lipglass, but I didn't think to smell it. I'll do that next time.

sparklemint

Yeah, that article is pretty true. You find good deals there, but alot of times they really aren't that good. It's easy to get caught up in the whole "it's a outlet mall and we drove this far anyways so we might as well buy" mindset.

abbyquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass
I'm a fitness fanatic and I buy all of my gear from Nike and Under Armour outlet stores and they are the same apparel that are that Sports Authority and Modell's...I save big in these two stores. I also save big at the Coach outlet store as well. I bought a purse at Macy's once and a year later it was at the outlet. Same purse so I shop at the outlet for my Coach bags. At the CCO I look for quads, blushes, MSFs, brushes and palettes mostly. I only bought one Fafi lipglass, but I didn't think to smell it. I'll do that next time.

Actually what's interesting, is that I have many times seen things at the outlets that are still in the regular stores! This goes for Kate Spade bags, Coach stuff, MAC stuff, and Nordstrom is notorious for this- I used to work at Nordstrom Rack and there were plenty of times when we got stuff that was still at Nordies. I will say that Nordstrom Rack is pretty sweet. I just got some Hard Tail yoga pants that I've been lemming for forever, for $20, and they retail for $56. I was looking at them over Christmas and passed on them b/c of the price, but there they were the other day! But Nordstrom Rack too orders a TON of stuff exclusively for them that has never been in a full-line store. Not that there aren't deals to be had or that you shouldn't shop at outlets, but you just need to be an informed consumer.

Kragey

We have a HUGE outlet mall near our university. Now, granted, my friends and I aren't really the best shoppers--we're more of the nerdy, stay-at-home-with-movies-and-wine type--but we do enjoy it on a beautiful weekday when none of us has classes and the place is relatively deserted.
smiles.gif
And we actually spend less money at the outlets than we do at a regular mall.

We actually get good bargains at our outlets. First of all, most of the outlets have amazing sales on products another branch of that store may be selling at full price still; there's always a 75% off rack at the outlet stores, versus the no-sales-racks policy at some of the regular mall stores. In fact, just a couple of weekends ago, I stopped at Charlotte Russe and got a shirt for $6 and a pair of shorts for $5, both on clearance. Then when I stopped at the regular mall to pick up a ring I'd had resized, I noticed that the non-outlet Charlotte Russe was selling the same stuff...in more colors, maybe, but still at full price!

Secondly, because there are so many stores and we kinda suck at shopping, we generally talk beforehand about the places we really want to hit, and that's where we spend our money...but we don't spend much time in other stores. Maybe it's because we just want to see everything, but most stores we spend no more than 2 minutes in, just walking around and looking. Whereas in a regular mall, which is smaller, we're more likely to stay longer and be tempted to try stuff on, then buy it.

Thirdly, I think because there are so many stores so close together, the outlet stores realize that they're surrounded by more competition, so they tend to be more competitive. I can't tell you how many times we've gone in to outlet stores and had sales people adjust their sales for us, just to make a sale. For example, we went in to a clothing store once where it was supposed to be "buy two, get one free" on jeans, but the girl at the counter was like, "I'll make it buy ONE get one free for you, if you promise to buy at least 2 pairs!" So instead of getting one free pair of jeans for every two pairs we bought, we got two free pairs of jeans for every two we bought.
greengrin.gif
My mother also managed to get a Coach purse for my sister for $150 instead of $250, all because she slyly mentioned that she could always sidle down to Juicy, Guess, or Fossil to check out THEIR purses. I've NEVER had that kind of stuff happen to me at a regular mall, where stores have less competition and you're likely to only find one store of each "type" (ie, you'd only have Fossil, Coach, Juicy Couture, or Guess in our regular malls, not all 4).

Also, because there ARE so many different stores, we can pick and choose outfit pieces from a ton of different places, rather than settling for something that matches but we may not like as much from the same place. For example, we've gotten undies at one place, shoes at another, shorts and a blouse at a third, and picked out the jewelry at a fourth place. In the regular mall, when we're "building outfits," we often have to settle for what's in one store even if we don't like it as much, all because there aren't as many stores with stuff that might "match."

However, it's worth noting that we do NOT drive far to go shopping there. Our university is literally 10 minutes away, so we don't end up with that mentality. I've warned my sister about it, though, because she wants to drive up here (over an hour both ways), and she's a shopaholic to begin with!

That's just my experience, of course. I'm sure other people have outlet malls that overcharge, and that just sucks. :/

LMD84

i actually wish the uk had more shopping outlets! sure i realise that certain things have been produced just for the outlet... but if it's something that i want it never bothers me. in fact i can't wait to hit up the outlet malls in florida in may! generally shoes, bags and jeans are stupidly cheap compared to the uk.
smiles.gif
when i have gone though i never buy things for the sake of it... it's always good to make a list of what kind of things you are after to stop impulse buys!

Eleentje

I hardly go to any outlet malls here, as we only have a few, and most of the stuff is rather boring there.
They do have good discounts on past collections' sneakers though.

The prices are comparable to the store prices, when there is a sale, so no point of driving so far for their "deals", unless they're having their semi-annual sale. Plus they're allowed to sell damaged items here, so you always need to look closely what you're buying. I've read somewhere that this is not allowed in the US?