Interesting article-Addicted to Cosmetics?

LMD84

i want to know what the $10,000 face cream was!
shockt.gif

coppertone

See, among my friends I'm seen as somewhat of a 'beauty hoarder', but in comparison to other people (such as the people mentioned in this article) I'm not too bad at all.

Simply Elegant

Just personally I don't think so. I don't have a compulsion to buy and can read colour threads without feeling like I have to collect everything or give into the hype if it's a colour I don't like on myself. I'm using up what I have mostly especially lip products and usually only buy refills of powder and foundation and replacing mascara.

Miss QQ

Interesting. Glad to say that at the moment, I'm still not suffering from this disorder since my space is still functioning the way it is supposed to be, and I'm not obsessed with my nose or pore size.
winks.gif

LittleMaryJane

I don't think I like this article, ha.

I especially don't like this line:

Quote:
Yes, there is such a thing as "too much," and it's a fine line between the mildly messy makeup lover and someone psychologically addicted to beauty products.

First of all, "too much" makeup would be hard to really define. It would depend on income, space.. Other disorders you may have involving your looks. If it's causing you financial issues, yes, you might have too much makeup (or anything else for that matter). But I think in general, people are too quick to label something as a disorder. If it's SERIOUSLY impacting your life in a negative way, then yeah you probably have a disorder but I'd say anything short of that is merely personal taste. If I want to have tons and tons and tons of beauty products and I can afford it and I'm not constantly obsessing about my nose or pores or WHATEVER, get off my back about it. I don't have a disorder.

And as far as the body dysmorphic/makeup addiction/excessive spending connection, I think it's important to note that one does NOT equal the other(s).

(all my opinions are aimed at this article too, I'm not trying to argue with anyone's opinions here
smiles.gif
)

banana1234

i think the article could have made some interesting points with more facts etc, its just too short

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless
Are you addicted to cosmetics? - Los Angeles Times

I do have WAY more makeup then I could ever hope to use up in many years.

So do I!
Just yesterday evening, my mother was in the room when I was watching a TV show about hoarders.
I asked her, "Am I that bad, with my makeup?"
She replied, "Well, with the lipstick, maybe ..."
I know what she's saying; I have 65 lipsticks, some of them backups, and some differ from each other in color only verrry sliiightly.
I have actually gotten somewhat better about the backups over the past year or so.
I made myself resolve to not buy backups until I'd completely used up one MAC product.
A few weeks later, I used up the last drop of my beloved Ms. Fizz Dazzleglass and, to my shock, I wasn't upset, even though that's now an almost-impossible-to-get LE of which I DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP.
I totally surprised myself by shrugging, and thinking, "I've got other pink Dazzleglasses, and MAC will come out with more in the future."
th_dunno.gif

Even more surprisingly, I have not gone back to my backup crazy ways.
I find myself thinking, "Eh; this one will last a long, long time, and even if I do use it all up, and can't get another just like it, I can get something that will do the same job."
That sounds so rational!"
icon_eek.gif

P.S. I like my nose, and though I wouldn't mind if my pores were smaller, they're not huge, and I have very oily skin, and visible pores just come with the territory.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I can read colour threads without feeling like I have to collect everything or give into the hype if it's a colour I don't like on myself.

It's pretty much the same here.
As a recent example, I know a lot of people went crazy over the To The Beach collection, and I must admit I thought the packaging was kind of cool, but I'm just not a bronze, coral, or gold person, so I unflinchingly skipped the entire collection.
On the other hand, I was afraid that Digi Pops was going to kill me.
I gaped at the early promo photos of the lipsticks, and thought, "I like that one, and that one, and that one ..."
But when the collection came out, I wanted only one, Troublemaker, because it looks like a color I don't already own.
I'd fully expected to buy Baby's on Fire, but decided to pass, since I already have two of Port Red.
Aren't I being sensible ?
winks.gif

arcticsilence@g

I get a jolt of happiness when I get a mac makeover. Does this make me an addict? I don't know I am not sure that just because something gives me pleasure means that I am addicted. I did spend too much at one point but I generally have that under control.

Am I an addict because I refuse to 'pick a look' for the rest of my adult life? I resent the implication that only teenagers are allowed to be experimental. And that holding onto imagination, and creativity is somehow immature and innapropriate. Perhaps I am a Artist in sheeps clothing that I love vibrancy, in music, in makeup, in my surroundings in life. Perhaps that is why it bothers me because I am quirky like an artist without actually BEING an artist
smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticsilence@g
I get a jolt of happiness when I get a mac makeover. Does this make me an addict? I don't know I am not sure that just because something gives me pleasure means that I am addicted. I did spend too much at one point but I generally have that under control.

Am I an addict because I refuse to 'pick a look' for the rest of my adult life? I resent the implication that only teenagers are allowed to be experimental. And that holding onto imagination, and creativity is somehow immature and innapropriate. Perhaps I am a Artist in sheeps clothing that I love vibrancy, in music, in makeup, in my surroundings in life. Perhaps that is why it bothers me because I am quirky like an artist without actually BEING an artist
smiles.gif

I'm no psychologist, but it doesn't sound to me like you have a problem.
It sounds like, to you, makeup is just one enjoyable facet of your life, and is not consuming your whole life.It also sounds like your enjoyment of makeup is enhancing your life, rather than causing problems in it. To me, that falls squarely into the realm of "hobby."
I mean, some guys spend what seems like years working on (and talking about) the same car, without ever actually getting done, and it's considered perfectly normal.
lol.gif

As for "picking a look for the rest of my adult life," that's called a "rut."

ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
It's pretty much the same here.
As a recent example, I know a lot of people went crazy over the To The Beach collection, and I must admit I thought the packaging was kind of cool, but I'm just not a bronze, coral, or gold person, so I unflinchingly skipped the entire collection.
On the other hand, I was afraid that Digi Pops was going to kill me.
I gaped at the early promo photos of the lipsticks, and thought, "I like that one, and that one, and that one ..."
But when the collection came out, I wanted only one, Troublemaker, because it looks like a color I don't already own.
I'd fully expected to buy Baby's on Fire, but decided to pass, since I already have two of Port Red.
Aren't I being sensible ?
winks.gif

Me too re "To the Beach" I think it's because to me it seemed like a lot of orange hues. Digi Pops, Dazzle = Meh. I am anticipating the Disney Villans collection but is that due more to packaging? I'm unsure

ruthless

For me , the article is a generalization, as lots of short articles are. I'm sure psychology specific magazines etc have much longer, in depth pieces. I'm totally maxed out on eyeshadows. I just have so much (this is my perspective, I'm sure it pales to other ladies out there) and drawers full of lip sticks and glosses. I like to read things like this because it allows me to ask myself if I truly need another eyeshadow etc or am I shopping to fufill a need? Would a new lipgloss make me feel prettier, or would dropping 20 pounds? I'm fairly sure what the answer to that one is ;p ugh!

I'm sure there are other ladies out there who feel the same, and pretty sure there are others that cannot relate. Cheers!
I

Latest posts