Interview Tips (for all companies)

metal_romantic

What tips do you all have for interviews for positions at beauty counter (any/all companies)?

Mine are:

-Visit the official website and/or do a google search and learn about the history of the brand, the target demographic, their best seller etc. Memorise their slogan.

-Make sure the makeup you wear to the interview fits with the image of the brand. You could try copying a look from one of their ads (as long as the look is an appropriate one). Wear their products if you have them or if not similar colours/textures from other brands.

-Be careful if you mention that you freelance, as they may get the impression that you will not be reliable at work (because you are busy with freelance jobs) or that you will 'steal' customers from the counter.

ShortnSassy

^those are good!

mine is just be confident! know that you are qualified, a hard worker, belong in this position and deserve it. see yourself already working there... it's the law of attraction!

L1LMAMAJ

the most important thing is to be yourself. if you try to act like someone different, people can usually tell.

think of possible questions that they might ask and think of answers in your head. don't memorize answers; they won't sound natural this way. just think of key words that you want to stress during the interview.

look the interviewer in the eyes. it shows that you are confident. confidence is a desirable trait.

Mui

I would say, don't think that you won't get the job, instead, go into the interview thinking that you are an asset that will help the organization. Also be confident - its nerve racking.. I know but try not to let it show.

Also definately do some research about the company!! They do usually ask you, "So, what do you know about (insert company name)?" Or something along the lines.

My sister also advised me to know your own resume inside and out. So that when you talk about yourself, you can shovel in details that are in your resume - like the year/month you worked for a certain company.

metal_romantic

Thanks- those are all great
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mui
I would say, don't think that you won't get the job, instead, go into the interview thinking that you are an asset that will help the organization. Also be confident - its nerve racking.. I know but try not to let it show.

Yeah, don't scare yourself by convincing yourself that you won't get it. There is a LOT of competition for these jobs, so be realistic and know that you may not get the job, but if you don't, it won't be your fault because you will try your best and that's all you can do.

rafaaa

Also, throw in a touch of humor. Now, I'm not saying to act like a complete ass or to spit out some off-topic humor, but if you say little anecdotes and the like to make the interviewer smile, then they'll remember that in a positive way. Also, don't rehearse anything; know what you're talking about, of course, but don't go in there ready to read a script. Especially with MAC, they're pretty laid back and expect the same from their staff. Think about an interview for them to see how you'd fit in, but also for you to decide if its really the job for you. =]

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaaa
...Especially with MAC, they're pretty laid back and expect the same from their staff. =]

Yeh, they'd be thinking about how you are going to come across to the customers
winks.gif

metal_romantic

Here's a tip. Don't get your hopes up too much. I've learned this the hard way.
ssad.gif
A positive attitude is great, but remember that there is a LOT of competition out there, and that it doesn't mean you're not good enough, and it won't be the end of the world if you don't get that particular job.

metal_romantic

This is from the Sportsgirl website:

Make sure you’ve got the date, time and location of the interview all written down. Even practise getting there if you can- being late on the day won’t look good. Decide what you’ll wear and lay it out ironed and ready to go the night before. Choose an outfit that is appropriate for the company and the job- and something that makes you feel fabulous. Research the company and get an idea of how your role fits. Jot down questions you’d like to ask and take them with you to the interview. Remember the more prepared you are, the more confident you feel and the more likely you'll be able to win them over and win the job.

This applies to any job- makeup, fashion, anything ;-)

Latest posts