Interview with MAC in DUBAI!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxschismxx

hey so i recently moved back to dubai after finishing off my schooling at Blanche Macdonald. I went there to do a professional makeup course, & before that i had done acouple of makeup courses in dubai & worked as an assistant makeup artist & stylist for 2 years with dubai top agency. So i applied for a job at mac today, an hour later i get a call asking me to come in next week for a group interview. Then after another hour the receptionist calls back saying the HR wants to meet you individually so they basically cancelled my group interview & now i have a one on one! im so nervous..so i got all the basic questions they ask at group interviews & im guessing they'll ask the same..questions about mac, customer service, my goals & all that... i also read that i should wear black for the obvious reason & wear loads of makeup ...

well im not sure if i should wear loads of makeup cause im not being interviewd at mac but rather by the HR of the company that owns mac in dubai so im thinking of just doing simple pretty makeup instead of going all out... so tht way im safe ..wont look to made up.. you think?

second .. i have no idea about retail so it would be great if you could give me an idea of what to say .. like what is customer service.. & i dont know just give me as much of a heads up as possible... also my friend told me they asked her why do mac people wear all black ... ? is it so the makeup doesnt get ont them .. so they all look uniform .. also should i read up a lot on mac products ...

all the mua at mac over here are so made up & thy all do arabic makeup & i dont know if you're familiar weith it but you should google it..it's so pretty but extremely heavy & im more into fashion , less pasty makeup so i hope they like me...

also i wanted to say hello to everyone .. ijust joined... it seemed like a pretty helpful website...i'll put up pictures of my schoo work & the stuff i assisted on soon enough

& if theres any from dubai who has been interview with mac please let me knw as the hiring proces could possibly be different here than in states since we have a different management

xxschismxx

okay now im just even more nervous.i read about everyones interview & everyone seems to have so much knowledge about the makeup..since ive freelanced a lot more than worked at counters my products knowledge isnt that great & i use like all the brands so i dont know about all of macs products & my interview is in 3 days...! im tyring to do as much homework as possible but i really doubt im gonna get it

amoona

I wouldn't go with toned down make-up, you want to look like a MAC girl. As far as why we wear all black - it's so that yes we all look uniformed but also so that our make-up is the focus. I'm sure they'll ask you all the basic interview questions so just check the rest of the forum for those. Retail is all about customer service and sales as well as artistry. It all goes hand in hand. If your artistry skills are off the hook then your sales will be great. If your customer service is good then your sales will be great. If you don't know every in and out of MAC that's not such a huge deal. Get the basic knowledge, know the products, even if you don't know them in and out. That stuff will all be taught to you at basic, not to mention that you'll learn it all as you go along.

xxschismxx

so my interview was today morning, i was dressed all in black. i still didn't feel too comfortable wearing too much makeup
as i was not heading to the mac counter but the company that owns it that owns car showrooms & furniture stores so i wanted
to look the part for mac but still look fit for the head company. Secondly it's 55 degrees & my makeup was literally melting off my face
i had to keep powdering the whole time. So i wore kitten by stila with a lil brown in the crease with heavy winged out liner.

i got there 20 mins early, this female came to get me. she took me to a room which was half the size of my bathroom & sat right in my face. It felt like an interrogation, & i could hear my heart beating. She was the least bit friendly & went straight to ask me about 20
questions from couple of pages she had in her hand. I noticed she kept checking out my body language , looking at my hands as i spoke.
After a while when i calmed down i got chatty, started laughing & she got very friendly. Here are the questions i can remember

how would i deal with a situation if i was asked to do something i couldn't do
how would i improve my skills to make them upto mac standards if they weren't
ever been in a sitatuon with an unsatisfied customer
ever been in a stiatuion where my application isn't what the clients wanted
if i was asked to do an application which i wasn't too fond of
how do you feel about working at a 9 to 5 job

& then they went on to ask me about arabic makeup which i said i didn't know how to do but said that thats what i loved
about mac that they all mua from all over at there counters & i think i could learn different styles from each & everyone one of them

i was quite honest the whole time about my lack of knowledge as far as mac in concerned as i have freelanced we concentrate more on getting the job done & buying whatever product works for that particular shoot. we work 21 hours a day in dubai & dont get the time to go ourself to stores & check out new collections. So she said she didn't expect me to know anything & she said you'll learn everything here

At the end she asked if i wanted t grow with the company & i said yes & she went on to say that she thought i had the personaliy
& the style to be the store manager. Well that sounded like a good sign.

She's going to call me tomorrow book another interview with the operationals manager.
I hope it all goes well!! i know people get good feelings from the firstinterview & never make it so im not gonna get my hopes up high

xxschismxx

so i passed my first & second interview ... then i had my demo ... the night before i couldn't get any sleep .. i was so nervous i didnt think i could do it ... i woke up in the morning .. got dressed .. did my makeup & went for it ... turned out i didnt have to do any selling the products & talking about the procedure .. i could do whatever look i wanted ... the mac trainer was conducting it & she just kept talking to me the whole time & interviewing me as well ... she didnt even give me a time although i did finish in 30 mins ... i think she kept talking to see if i can talk & do the makeup at the same time ... she was very impressed with hmy counter manners as i sterilized everything, prepared the table well ... i basically got all the demo info off this forum & people in middle east usually dont do so much research so i was well prepared ... she loved my application .. my procedure ... she thought she saw potential in me & 3 hours later they called me & i got the gig! so i start next month .. im so excited!!

if anyone is in the middle east or in dubai & are going thru the interview process let me know & i'll help out as much as possible as the interview process was a bit different & the questions asked were pretty different as well ...

Janice

:congrats: Happy to hear you got the job!! I'm also really enthused that you found useful information here that helped you prepare for your demo.
smiles.gif

Bernadette

Congratulations!!!! You're going to love working for MAC, they are an amazing company. Keep us posted
smiles.gif

Janice88

hey I just read ur interview for Mac cosmetics. I have an interview for mac tomo in Dubai, and I dunno where and how to start preparing for ,y interview, like u I am also a freelance makeup artist. Can u plz help me out? I'm soo nervous. Thanks. Xx

kanz

wowowow... sounds wonderful.. good luck to you... iam a freelance make up artist and pretty much wondering how do u get in touch with the management other than sending the CV which i have been for the past 1.5years.Iam In dubai . could u please help me with the right email address. thanks a tonne.

Saidir

Please check the date of a thread before posting, I'm going to lock because thread necromancy is bad.

Starting a new thread would probably be best in situations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.