Interview with MAC!!!

PrettyDolledUp

After being inspired by many of you who have applied for MAC, I decided to turn in my resume for freelance to my local MAC Counter last Saturday with the counter manager. After I gave her my resume, she said that she will give me a call to set up an interview, but if I don't hear from her by Monday, to give her a call. I gave her a call on Monday, but she had meetings after meetings for the whole week and wasn't available until Thursday (today). I decided to call back again and luckily, she was there!
yes.gif

I spoke with her over the phone and she set an interview for us to meet on the 26th! yay! I have about 2 weeks to prepare, but I don't know what to expect. It's a verbal interview, I believe the very first step of the interview process, so if any of you can give some kind of feedback of what I can expect, I'd reallllly appreciate it. (I'm soooo nervous!!!) Thanks!
yes.gif

baybehbekah

congrats! you'll do great
smiles.gif
no worries!

this forum is filled with AMAZING info about the MAC interview process & its super helpful!

but just be yourself, and have fun!

chocolategoddes

Read as many posts here as you possibly can... then you'll be certain to get the job because there's so much good advice!!!

florabundance

Aww congratulations and good luck!!!
Stupid question but, did you have a LOT of freelance experience on your resume? and if so/not, how much did you have?

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
Stupid question but, did you have a LOT of freelance experience on your resume? and if so/not, how much did you have?

I had none but I had a lot of sales and customer service experience.

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:

Thanks! I don't have much freelance experience, events here and there, but I never did it "full time". I didn't market my makeup service that much before, until now. But I do have experience in sales...much more...in real estate and I've dealt w/ many people while I was doing medical assisting.
yes.gif

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
I had none but I had a lot of sales and customer service experience.

I don't and when i have tried to get summer or christmas jobs in retail (im 18) it's always "apply if you have experience". I have customer services experience in an office, on the phone type thing. Does that count?

A lot of people have said to just exaggerate on your CV lol but i dunno. I know i'd definitely love a job on a MAC counter and that they train you, but I always thought it would be worthless to say "yeh i'd like a job with no experience in the field". What would you advise?

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyDolledUp
Thanks! I don't have much freelance experience, events here and there, but I never did it "full time". I didn't market my makeup service that much before, until now. But I do have experience in sales...much more...in real estate and I've dealt w/ many people while I was doing medical assisting.
yes.gif

Oh see u have so much experience in fields where you're dealing with customers. My problem is that I don't and that my wanting to work for MAC is to develop as a MUA from scratch. If they asked to see my skills with make up, they're kind of limited.

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Oh see u have so much experience in fields where you're dealing with customers. My problem is that I don't and that my wanting to work for MAC is to develop as a MUA from scratch. If they asked to see my skills with make up, they're kind of limited.

Do you apply make up on yourself? I went to a Studio Talk seminar this past saturday for MAC, and a question that one of the trainers asked was, "do any of you want to become make up artists?" Some people raised their hands, but his answer was, (not exactly word for word, but similiar) "if you apply make up on yourself, then you're already a 'makeup artist'". So basically, if you have experience in applying makeup on yourself, then that counts.

Also, if you want more experience, gather a couple of friends and do "make overs", just so you can have more practice and also start volunteering on doing makeup for family or friends when there's special events. When I started wearing/using MAC, I had very limited experience with eyeshadows and blending, all I knew how to apply was eyeliner and my brows! lol. But once I started experimeting with eyeshadows, foundations, blush, etc. on myself, I started practicing on my friends and family. Then from there, my experience grew. And then from there, people would ask me to do their makeup for proms, special events, and weddings.

Another thing, if you already feel comfortable with your make up experience, just put on your objective part of your resume that you are an aspiring make up artist and want to learn more about makeup application or something like that. And just turn it in to the Counter Manager at your local counter. OR you can wait until you grow more experience and then turn in your resume. I hope this helped you out a bit.
winks.gif

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyDolledUp
Do you apply make up on yourself? I went to a Studio Talk seminar this past saturday for MAC, and a question that one of the trainers asked was, "do any of you want to become make up artists?" Some people raised their hands, but his answer was, (not exactly word for word, but similiar) "if you apply make up on yourself, then you're already a 'makeup artist'". So basically, if you have experience in applying makeup on yourself, then that counts.

Also, if you want more experience, gather a couple of friends and do "make overs", just so you can have more practice and also start volunteering on doing makeup for family or friends when there's special events. When I started wearing/using MAC, I had very limited experience with eyeshadows and blending, all I knew how to apply was eyeliner and my brows! lol. But once I started experimeting with eyeshadows, foundations, blush, etc. on myself, I started practicing on my friends and family. Then from there, my experience grew. And then from there, people would ask me to do their makeup for proms, special events, and weddings.

Another thing, if you already feel comfortable with your make up experience, just put on your objective part of your resume that you are an aspiring make up artist and want to learn more about makeup application or something like that. And just turn it in to the Counter Manager at your local counter. OR you can wait until you grow more experience and then turn in your resume. I hope this helped you out a bit.
winks.gif

Thanks so much - It helped a lot. Yeh i do apply make up to myself, but my skills stretch as far as variations of the winged eyeliner look lol. I'm never really comfortable doing/wearing shadows because i'm a bit of a perfectionist and hate doing things halfassed, but i'm slowly learning more and more through posts on here. So i will definitely take your advice on purchasing shadows, blush, foundations etc. And i need brushes lol.
Basically atm, i'm compiling a list of products used on here for looks i like - then i'll make a purchase (when i actually have money) and like you said, keep experimenting.
Then hopefully apply in summer.
Thanks a lot though, and again good luck with the interview. x

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Thanks so much - It helped a lot. Yeh i do apply make up to myself, but my skills stretch as far as variations of the winged eyeliner look lol. I'm never really comfortable doing/wearing shadows because i'm a bit of a perfectionist and hate doing things halfassed, but i'm slowly learning more and more through posts on here. So i will definitely take your advice on purchasing shadows, blush, foundations etc. And i need brushes lol.
Basically atm, i'm compiling a list of products used on here for looks i like - then i'll make a purchase (when i actually have money) and like you said, keep experimenting.
Then hopefully apply in summer.
Thanks a lot though, and again good luck with the interview. x

You're welcome! and Good Luck!
winks.gif

catpussmeow

I am new to the Specktra open forum, but I have a couple questions. A few weeks back, the manager of MAC ran out of the store and said, "Alicia, you should fill this out." "This" being an application for employment. I was super excited, so immediately when I got home, I brought it in the next day. A week later, I received a call from the manager saying she wanted to set up an interview. Obviously, I was extremely thrilled! So, I went through the first interview -- it went fantastic. Then immediately after the interview was over, she asked if I could come in for a demo interview. That was today, actually! It went really well!!
nanaparty.gif
She gave feedback at the end of the interview and I took it like a champ. Then she excused my model and led me downstairs so we could chat! And as a side note: The manager knows me, I am a regular customer and have seen her out many times.

She said I have a great personality and work very well with customers! "No awkward silences during the makeup application." She also mentioned that for the lack of makeup experience, I did very well and that I "soak up all the feedback like a sponge." She told me to come in on Monday and have a MAC employee do my makeup, to get a feel for what it would be like if I was an employee. She also said she'd make a decision about me sometime next week and get back to me. I feel like this is a good sign, but am still unsure. Feel free to give me any insight!

Latest posts